X-static vs some other similar kits

Keithh

Re: X-static vs some other similar kits
« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2017, 01:05 am »
Since I can't say for sure BB is acoustically better for cabinets, it really comes down to how you are going
to finish the cabinet. BB is the best choice if you are veneering because the veneer adheres much better
to the edges than it does with MDF. But if you are painting your speaker use MDF, it is much easier to paint.
Both BB and MDF are flat and cut beautifully, but I hate MDF dust. It will be everywhere in your shop, in your cabinets,
in drawers, just everywhere. All that dust and I always veneer speakers is why I use BB.

I also made the baffle 1-1/2" the entire length of the baffle. Don't know why the baffle in the plans were designed that way,
but a full length thick baffle would certainly be much more rigid and stronger structurally, especially if using MDF.

dlynch34

« Reply #21 on: 23 Oct 2017, 03:03 pm »
thanks for your advice.  I am also going to make the front baffle as you suggested.  I decided to go with MDF since I have 2 subs I made with MDF and used a textured roller on them and love the look and texture.  My question if anyone can answer what did you use for dampening inside your cabinets?  Did all go with the no rez?  if so how much for the x-statiks is needed?... is the cost vs performance worth it?
Thanks

dlynch34

« Reply #22 on: 23 Oct 2017, 05:16 pm »
question on the build plans and wondering if anyone took pics of the inside of their build.. I am wondering are those actual shelves inside according to the plans?... I am a bit confused on that...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #23 on: 23 Oct 2017, 08:07 pm »
  My question if anyone can answer what did you use for dampening inside your cabinets?  Did all go with the no rez?  if so how much for the x-statiks is needed?... is the cost vs performance worth it?
Thanks
Yep.  Use the No-Rez.  Don't try to save twenty bucks and use something cheaper.  Do it right the first time.  Call Danny for the amounts.  It's probably around two sheets and no more than three. 

S Clark

« Reply #24 on: 23 Oct 2017, 08:09 pm »
question on the build plans and wondering if anyone took pics of the inside of their build.. I am wondering are those actual shelves inside according to the plans?... I am a bit confused on that...
yes, there are braces for the lower part... two if I remember, both with around 6" holes cut out in them for air movement.  The cabinet plans should show it clearly.

dlynch34

« Reply #25 on: 24 Oct 2017, 12:44 pm »
yes page three of the plans outlines The braces and size holes.. 2 for the C labeled braces and 1.5 circles for the B labeled braces..  plans make perfect sense now that i went back and looked at that. Thanks

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #26 on: 24 Oct 2017, 12:53 pm »
Finally ordered a pair of these from Danny yesterday.
Looking forward to them.

dlynch34

« Reply #27 on: 24 Oct 2017, 01:24 pm »
awesome.  You will love them.  Did you go with the upgrades? 

S Clark

« Reply #28 on: 24 Oct 2017, 01:27 pm »
Finally ordered a pair of these from Danny yesterday.
Looking forward to them.
For a kit that you can finish out for under $500, they are hard to beat. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 24 Oct 2017, 02:24 pm »
yes page three of the plans outlines The braces and size holes.. 2 for the C labeled braces and 1.5 circles for the B labeled braces..  plans make perfect sense now that i went back and looked at that. Thanks

The easiest way to get the braces with the half circle is to make the piece long enouh for two braces. Cut three holes in this piece. Then cut it in half. You now have two braces each with one and a half  circles.

Keithh

« Reply #30 on: 24 Oct 2017, 03:17 pm »
Did you go with the upgrades?

Yes. No Rez, Sonicaps and Tube connectors. All make quite a big difference and are well worth it.
I would definitely build them with No Rez and Tube connectors. You can always add Sonicaps later since the
base is removable.

I used 2 sheets of No Rez, what Danny recommended. It was a little short so underneath the bottom brace was
not covered. I had changed the plans and added an additional brace so the bottom brace was about 4" from the bottom.

S Clark

« Reply #31 on: 26 Oct 2017, 10:45 pm »
The easiest way to get the braces with the half circle is to make the piece long enouh for two braces. Cut three holes in this piece. Then cut it in half. You now have two braces each with one and a half  circles.
Mike, why didn't you tell me this BEFORE I built a half dozen of Danny's kits!!   :duh:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2017, 11:03 pm »
Mike, why didn't you tell me this BEFORE I built a half dozen of Danny's kits!!   :duh:

Uhhh, don't know  :scratch:

dlynch34

« Reply #33 on: 30 Oct 2017, 04:45 pm »
I used a combination of paint and finished wood.  My front and back panels were figured maple plywood with a light cherry stain, strips were a matching mahogany that I already had. The sides were truck bed liner with a light dusting of "granite" spray paint.  Turned out better than expected.

do you have a full length picture of your final product?

S Clark

« Reply #34 on: 30 Oct 2017, 06:18 pm »
Here they are at last spring's Lone Star Audio Fest.  I'll get a better picture up asap.

Here's another from the build.

dlynch34

« Reply #35 on: 31 Oct 2017, 02:34 pm »
does someone have a picture of their crossover..I am trying to figure out the wiring of it to the drivers... thank you..

Danny Richie

« Reply #36 on: 31 Oct 2017, 03:39 pm »
does someone have a picture of their crossover..I am trying to figure out the wiring of it to the drivers... thank you..

Here is a pic of the crossover with the Sonicap and Mills resistor upgrades.

The lower woofers get wired in parallel and the mids get wired in parallel. There is a polarity flip on the lower woofers but the flip is made on the crossover board. So you just wire + to + and - to - board to drivers.

If it isn't clear call me and I'll walk you through it

dlynch34

« Reply #37 on: 31 Oct 2017, 03:45 pm »
Thanks Danny that will help on the upgrades and it confirms what the I was thinking by the picture sent with the kit... My one question is that small resistor on the lower left portion..what is that soldered to specifically? that yellow cap? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #38 on: 31 Oct 2017, 04:07 pm »
Thanks Danny that will help on the upgrades and it confirms what the I was thinking by the picture sent with the kit... My one question is that small resistor on the lower left portion..what is that soldered to specifically? that yellow cap?

It's in the mid circuit.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 31 Oct 2017, 05:45 pm »

Are you asking about the green resistor that is on the board or the small white part that is sitting between the red and yellow caps?

If it is the small white part, that is a by-pass cap which is soldered to the leads of the yellow cap.