Considering Used Super V but NX-Otica is also on the table considering...

danvprod

So I'm starting to think about room treatments too. Can anyone point me to a good resource as to what would give me the biggest bang for the buck for the Super Vs in my space. I think I will end up keeping the arrangement shown in the model above. I have some heavy-ish drapes that cover the window behind the speakers.

I always see what look to be large diffusor panels in the pictures that Danny posts. Are those a commercial product or something custom designed? I was thinking a pair of bass traps in the corners behind the speakers would be good as well.

I'm talking about these treatments, for example:
https://i2.wp.com/i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/sthull/RMAF2011/IMG_7214a.jpg

Shakeydeal

Tube traps in corners are always a good thing, I have used them for years. And you can make your own using pipe insulation, sheetrock end caps and an acoustically transparent material for covering.

Shakey

Danny Richie

I always see what look to be large diffusor panels in the pictures that Danny posts. Are those a commercial product or something custom designed? I was thinking a pair of bass traps in the corners behind the speakers would be good as well.

https://i2.wp.com/i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/sthull/RMAF2011/IMG_7214a.jpg

Dave Elledge was having those made.

My homemade tube traps: http://gr-research.com/foam.htm  Don't miss the story at the end.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
The folks at GIK Acoustics have been helpful and their products are reasonably priced.

danvprod

Thanks for the link to the tube traps, Danny.
Thanks for the idea on GIK, mlundy57. I sent them an email as well. We'll see what they say.

Here are some measurements of my old system in the room (JBL 2226 in ported enclosure, 2445 2" CD in 350 Hz Horn). Waterfall and XO measurement.

Shakeydeal

Dan,

I am assuming you will be buying one of those Super Vs here on audiocircle? After living with my pair for a few weeks now and getting them dialed in, all I can say is that you will be very happy. I have owned quite a few well known and much more expensive speakers in the past and the Super V pushes all my buttons. Can't say enough about these.........

Shakey

danvprod

Thanks, @Shakey. That's definitely a useful review. They pair you purchased are very nice and I am glad you are happy with them. Yes, I am considering one of the used pairs that are available on AC that are within driving distance.

Hopefully it all works out!

danvprod

These came yesterday...

sledwards

I too enjoy when GR Research packages arrive. Going with the NX-Oticas and Triple H-Frame servo subs.

Jonathon Janusz

Word on the grapevine is Dave (P.I. Audio) will shortly (finally!) have a website makeover completed which will include information on ordering these panels for anyone interested in them.

bdp24

Word on the grapevine is Dave (P.I. Audio) will shortly (finally!) have a website makeover completed which will include information on ordering these panels for anyone interested in them.

I looked at the P.I. diffusors, as well as GIK's version (for use on the wall directly behind and about a foot from my head), and it appears the GIK's are effective to a lower frequency than the P.I. Does anyone have experience with both?

danvprod

I moved my room around today to reflect the new position that the setup will be once I get my Super Vs. I can do this now that I got my small desk and got rid of the big desk that was filling up my room before. It's hard to see but this is going to be the view to the Vs from my listening position. My desk is right off the right side, just out of the frame. Speakers are 7' from each other, and I can listen from 7' away as well. This is the configuration of the model I posted a couple of posts back (but with the corners of the speaker out 4'9" into the room.

Also hung new pictures, which I like.

I am planning on eventually installing two corner bass traps (likely I will build ones like Danny has posted earlier in this thread) on either side and some diffusion somewhere, at least at first. Eventually I'd like to treat the sideways as well.

As an aside, this is the first time I've had my Decware DFR-8 speakers out this far from the back wall. They are sounding the best I've ever heard them! They are still for sale, no one has bit on them yet, however. They need to go to make way for the Vs.

bdp24

Love the nice clean look of the room, and the symmetry. My new room is perfectly symmetrical, which makes getting left-to-right balance and imaging a snap.

Shakeydeal

Dan,

If you are building your own Super V and not buying used, how did you source the discontinued P Audio driver?

And on another note, I have found that the Super V, at least in my system, needs to be listened to a little farther away than any other speaker I have had in this room. Things can get a little sharp if you sit too close. Just my experience.

Shakey

danvprod

@Shakey -- I am buying used. The pair I am buying was missing the woofers, so I had to purchase them directly from Danny, new. 7' is going to be the max I am going to be able to get from these guys in my room, otherwise they are going to be too close to the back wall.

The ones that I am getting also don't have the Jupiter cap upgrade, which I think helps a bit with the forwardness (at least that is what I can gather from Danny's threads). I know that room acoustical treatment will be imperative too.

One of the nice things about the MT Decware amp is a "treble shunt", which can be dialed in via a pot (or taken out of the circuit altogether). This allow you to shape the upper regions to make up for overly bright speakers or room issues (which is currently my issue -- at least with the current decware speakers).

Shakeydeal

My room is ~15' x 26' and I have mine a little over 7 ft. into the room. I tried them closer to the back wall, but they really opened up at this distance. I hope they work for you, sounds like you have a much smaller room.

Shakey

danvprod

Yea my room is 16' x 14' with a notch out behind me for the door and closet.

danvprod

Updated room model (with LS6, not Super Vs, as no one has made an easily findable model of the Vs that I could see). Experimenting with some treatments behind the speakers. A pair of 7' tube traps and some diffusors. Speakers and chair are now in position they are in the room (7'x7'x7' triangle; 4'9" from wall, 3' from sidewall).

Danny Richie

That looks good. It's a small room though so make those tube traps big and thick. Smaller rooms tend to need more absorbing material.

PDR

• May the best man win
My room is 13'-6" wide and 25' long.....the back 7' is taken up with stairs down and a small bar area, err, I mean equipment storage area... :wink:

When I started down the road of O.B. it was with Dannys V1.
I had them in my smallish living room ....14' x 17'....with vaulted ceilings.
They sat in there with big plush coaches and chairs (and really didnt have a right sounding as good as they did)
until my room was finished being built (former 1 car attached garage)

I placed them in the naked room with only 2 chairs and a coffee table as a gear stand.
I'll never forget just how crappy they sounded in that bare room....it was so bad I barely
used it.

I did a bunch of internet reading to see if absorption or diffusion was needed on the wall behind the
speakers. I came to the conclusion that I needed diffusion, some people REALLY disagreed with me.
A bunch of PMs later and I just stood my ground.

I built 4" absorption panels (Rockwool) and placed them on first reflection points on walls and ceilings.
I built corner traps, bass traps and even a panel over the diffusor  to remove corner reflections.
My room is set up like yours(window on front wall behind speakers) I simply covered it with the panel and diffusor.

I'll never forget the dramatic change that came about using these treatments....I was always listening now.
My first front wall diffusor was a poly, my second was a QRD that I built from styrofoam coated with thinset.
The room was better than ever, I upgraded the V1s to Super Vs and was very happy.

What I'm getting at is I would consider covering the window with a poly or QRD of some kind.
Keep the bass traps (although I would make them bigger) and consider either absorption panels
or more diffusors(personal preference) at first reflection points.

I only give this advice because your room is so similar to mine, and your using the same Super Vs
that I had in my room for all those years, and I was/am VERY happy with the results.

Good luck!

Perry

P.S.  you can just see a slip of the window in this pic.