1080p Projection for $700. HO-LEE $#*+

wushuliu

1080p Projection for $700. HO-LEE $#*+
« on: 10 Sep 2014, 05:42 pm »
So I just finished a 2000 mile move back to Minnesota from the bizarro insanity of Los Angeles. One of the bonuses is that I now have a huge lower level room just to myself. With this major life change I am just not going to be able to focus on my audio hobbyfor a good while so in the mean time I figured I'd just focus on movies. My intention was to save up for a 70in TV but then I thought 'let me check in on the projector scene'. Last time I paid attention to projectors was around 5 years ago. My buddy had one and I thought it was neat but wasn't blown away. And man were they expensive.

A lot's changed in five years! After lots of research I got hold of two units to try: BenQ 770ST 720p short throw for $530 and the BenQ 1070 1080p for $700. I got the 770 first, parked it 7 ft away from a bare wall, no screen. Wow!!! Using a Netflix streaming stick the image quality was superb. I could not believe it. Gave my 50in plasma a run for it's money with twice the screen size. I expanded the screen to about 130in and it still looked pretty darn good from 13ft; the image became softer but overall I think the average viewer would be very happy. All for $530 - and other respected brands can be had for $100 cheaper.

So in awe of that experience I decided to bump up to the W1070 1080p which is considered the best in its price range and competitive with projecter 2-3x the cost. I am just stunned. For $700 you get clear, clean, 1080p. The color balance is impressive on this projector as well as all the features. Yeah my plasma has better black level overall but watching Blade Runner at 130in. who cares. Everything else is just about perfect.

The jump to 1080p is noticeable but not earth shattering, especially if the 770ST is kept under 90in. And a 90in TV costs how much?

The genie's out the bottle. There's no going back now. We will have a TV for daylight/casual viewing sure but you're gonna have to pry this projector out of my cold, dead hands...

TF1216

• Industry Participant
Re: 1080p Projection for $700. HO-LEE $#*+
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2014, 05:53 pm »
Welcome back to MN and congratulations on the purchase. 

There is a headphone meet-up on the 20th if you are into that kind of thing  :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2014, 09:08 pm »
Blade Runner at 130in on my wall

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2014, 09:44 pm »
The genie's out the bottle. There's no going back now. We will have a TV for daylight/casual viewing sure but you're gonna have to pry this projector out of my cold, dead hands...
Amen Brother. Welcome to the wonderful world of front projection.  :thumb:

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2014, 10:23 pm »
Good to know. I gave up my HT and front projector about 8 years ago when we moved and I have been thinking about one for my music room, not so much for movies but I have quite a few concert disks and it would be nice, especially given how prices have come down. I think I dropped about $7K back in 2000 for the first one, which I think manged 1080i. I'll have to check into one of these.  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2014, 11:47 pm »
Congrats, that is the same projector I have been running for about 1.5 years, it has been a good one so far and it's racking up some hours.  I have been happy with it!

« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2014, 03:41 am by ebag4 »

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2014, 12:05 am »
Epson - Home Cinema 8350

...just in case anybody is shopping.   :wink:

youravhandyman

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2014, 10:57 am »
A good screen will help with that black level as well, though may cost more than the projector.   :lol:

There is also "screen goo" (actual product name so generally safe to google) which you paint on to the wall.  It is a specially designed product and is available for multiple types of applications such as different gain requirements. 

So since I can't post without poking the bear, I'm sure BISL has some good DIY suggestions like a flat paint or possibly 600 threadcount sheet?

Matt

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2014, 12:27 pm »
Well...since I was called out..... :lol:
The Video-philes on The Home Theater shack say that their research and measuring equipment have found that "Kilz 2" is the most neutral paint money can buy. Anything beyond that and you start spending serious cash, or mixing exotic recipes of paints.

I've used a DIY fabric material but prefer the Kilz 2.

hibuckhobby

• On a search for audio nirvana
« Reply #9 on: 16 Sep 2014, 01:39 pm »
Welcome back to the land of the ice and snow...BUT, plenty of water and no earthquakes!
Hibuck....

wushuliu

« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:43 pm »
Well...since I was called out..... :lol:
The Video-philes on The Home Theater shack say that their research and measuring equipment have found that "Kilz 2" is the most neutral paint money can buy. Anything beyond that and you start spending serious cash, or mixing exotic recipes of paints.

I've used a DIY fabric material but prefer the Kilz 2.

We're in a rental right now so I can't experiment with paints just yet though I intend to when we buy a home. I bought one of the Carl's Blackout Screens to use but after doing an a/b vs. my wall I actually prefer my wall. The black level is pretty darn good. I'm sure I can improve with a high quality screen but for the time being I really can't think of any major or even minor faults with the projection. Does make me wonder how the $3k+ models perform...

This is such a great investment for families who don't want to spend $50+ every time they go to the movies (assuming typical parents, 2 or more kids, and snacks). I'm watching Blacklist off Netflix and it's awesome. I would never watch this show on my tv, but having it projected provides an over the top experience that matches the show.

wushuliu

« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2014, 03:45 pm »
Welcome back to the land of the ice and snow...BUT, plenty of water and no earthquakes!
Hibuck....

No kidding. We left LA at the right time. I see nothing but rough times ahead for the Land of Eternal Sunshine.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2014, 09:17 pm »
Welcome to the FP club - once you go big, you never go back!  I signed up for Hulu after I had my latest projector set up, specifically so I could watch the Criterion Collection in all the large, bright beauty modern PJs are capable of.  Its allowed me to appreciate older movies (in particular) in ways I would never have before.  But also more modern fare like Game of Thrones and Hannibal are just spectacular on a large format.  On the other hand, when the directors and cinematographers are lazy with their frame, it is very obvious.

wushuliu

« Reply #13 on: 18 Sep 2014, 09:40 pm »
Welcome to the FP club - once you go big, you never go back!  I signed up for Hulu after I had my latest projector set up, specifically so I could watch the Criterion Collection in all the large, bright beauty modern PJs are capable of.  Its allowed me to appreciate older movies (in particular) in ways I would never have before.  But also more modern fare like Game of Thrones and Hannibal are just spectacular on a large format.  On the other hand, when the directors and cinematographers are lazy with their frame, it is very obvious.

Good point about Hulu. I shrugged it off for my tv, but the Criterion films would look great projected...

Tyson

« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2014, 10:02 pm »
Honestly, I had no appreciation for Chaplin until I saw the pristine prints projected in HD.  Hulu has almost all the Chaplin films for streaming, along with a shit-ton of other films.  In fact, it's approaching 1000 films from Criterion on Hulu.  Here's the full list:

http://www.criterion.com/hulu

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 18 Sep 2014, 10:04 pm »
Honestly, I had no appreciation for Chaplin until I saw the pristine prints projected in HD.  Hulu has almost all the Chaplin films for streaming, along with a shit-ton of other films.  In fact, it's approaching 1000 films from Criterion on Hulu.  Here's the full list:

http://www.criterion.com/hulu

Oh wow that's way more than the last time I had Hulu (couple years ago). Thanks Tyson.

Tyson

« Reply #16 on: 18 Sep 2014, 10:20 pm »
Welcome!  Criterion is the only reason to have Hulu, as the rest of it's selection and service generally sucks. 

Oh, just realized I pulled us off topic, sorry about that - back to praising projectors!