BDP-1 and NAS connectivity

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDP-1 and NAS connectivity
« Reply #80 on: 18 Jul 2012, 02:45 pm »
Hi James,

Since the Bdp1 is already able to stream internetradio, why do you state you start supporting "streaming" on new Bdp2? If you could make that a bit more user friendly to operate, that would be most welcome. I sincerely hope that is still on your to-do-list for the Bdp1 and don't let that aspect wait till the release of a Bdp2 is imminent..

Reading your post again makes me wonder your bdp2 is really a typo and in fact you meant to type Bdp1...(fingers crossed)

Marius

Hi marius,

Yes Typo - Given the BDP-1 streams when it comes to the included Radio stations we are looking as ways to expand that feature.

james

Marius

« Reply #81 on: 18 Jul 2012, 02:56 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb:
Thank you Sir!

Hi marius,

Yes Typo - Given the BDP-1 streams when it comes to the included Radio stations we are looking as ways to expand that feature.

james

PRELUDE

« Reply #82 on: 19 Jul 2012, 02:10 am »
Hi marius,

james
Hi James,
If you try to make more mistakes like this you might give a heart attack to some folks around here. :lol: :lol:
I was reading your post and when I saw the BDP-2 I had to laugh hard because I was sure that was a typo.
I do not know how many people would be agree with me but I really like the Bdp-1 as is.First it does not have any extra lights or interface to make it looks like the other stuff and the sound is great. :thumb:
But a lot of visitors came over just to see the BDP-1 and listen to it and they ask for interface and other stuff that I do not care about or the first thing they ask is this: Let me see how the radio works?
Although,I did try the radio and some of the stations are sound much better then mp3 but this people should remember that this is not a tuner. :duh:

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #83 on: 19 Jul 2012, 02:33 am »
Chris, here is another question from a non-techie.

I have a Linksys router and I can plug in a USB hard drive into it as a storage device. I checked out your link about NAS units and have this question. Can I plug in any hard drive into my router to use the upcoming BDP-1 software or must the hard drive be one, like those shown in the link, that are designated as NAS units?

Hi Dave,

It sounds very much like your router can double as a NAS once a hard drive is connected.  You can confirm the compatibility by simPly seeing if your comPuter will connect to the drive over the network.  We have two routers at Bryston capable of this.

Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #84 on: 19 Jul 2012, 02:41 am »
Hi James,

Since the Bdp1 is already able to stream internetradio, why do you state you start supporting "streaming" on new Bdp2? If you could make that a bit more user friendly to operate, that would be most welcome. I sincerely hope that is still on your to-do-list for the Bdp1 and don't let that aspect wait till the release of a Bdp2 is imminent..

Reading your post again makes me wonder your bdp2 is really a typo and in fact you meant to type Bdp1...(fingers crossed)

Marius

Hi Marius

Now that the release version of the NAS feature is in just final beta testing I am simply just holding off for another week to make sure none of our beta testers don't find any more bugs before release.  Currently main focus right now is on a radio streaming app.  My main issue right now is finding a database of radiostations that we can make use of.

If I have ever posted mention of a bdp-2 I certainly did not mean to, simply a typo.

Chris

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #85 on: 19 Jul 2012, 02:41 am »
Thanks, Chris. BTW, I think it was James who made the BDP-2 typo.

Marius

« Reply #86 on: 19 Jul 2012, 07:43 am »
Hi Chris,

That's certainly looking promising. Mentioned before, I would
Urge you to have a look at Vtuner.

Got it working here through the Na7004 and can tell
You it works flawlessly.

If you could make it interface the Bdp1 that would be the answer to a rather pressing question.

There is the marantz app to connect to it, on the na7004 with its control buttons but also through a web interface. Adding to that you can surf to Vtuner, in this case marantzradio.com and edit you radio favorites rather nicely.

As you can see a lot like operating the bdp1.

Hope this helps you male it happen!

Marius
Hi Marius

Now that the release version of the NAS feature is in just final beta testing I am simply just holding off for another week to make sure none of our beta testers don't find any more bugs before release.  Currently main focus right now is on a radio streaming app.  My main issue right now is finding a database of radiostations that we can make use of.

If I have ever posted mention of a bdp-2 I certainly did not mean to, simply a typo.

Chris

Alpha10

« Reply #87 on: 19 Jul 2012, 09:07 am »
Hi Chris,

That's certainly looking promising. Mentioned before, I would
Urge you to have a look at Vtuner.

Marius

+1 for VTuner.

The two things that would make my Bryston life complete are internet radio on the BDP and a combined BDP/SP3 iPad App  :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #88 on: 19 Jul 2012, 09:10 am »
Hi James,
If you try to make more mistakes like this you might give a heart attack to some folks around here. :lol: :lol:
I was reading your post and when I saw the BDP-2 I had to laugh hard because I was sure that was a typo.
I do not know how many people would be agree with me but I really like the Bdp-1 as is.First it does not have any extra lights or interface to make it looks like the other stuff and the sound is great. :thumb:
But a lot of visitors came over just to see the BDP-1 and listen to it and they ask for interface and other stuff that I do not care about or the first thing they ask is this: Let me see how the radio works?
Although,I did try the radio and some of the stations are sound much better then mp3 but this people should remember that this is not a tuner. :duh:

Hi PRELUDE

Yes I am surprised at how good the preloaded stations sound - I did try and preload only the higher bit rate stations - I love the Jazz station  :thumb:

I think if we want to move beyond the current feature set and capabilities of the  BDP 1 we would have to look at adding an additional product with different hardware etc.

James

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #89 on: 19 Jul 2012, 11:00 am »
Marius,

(Please pardon the way off topic nature of this post.)

I'm curious about your experience with the NA-7004. I bought one, but I sent it back – did not transition from file to file seamlessly. I called tech support and was informed that my unit was operating as designed, which I thought was odd and very disappointing. The user interface on the Marantz left a lot to be desired as well, but I could live with that as long as the thing worked satisfactorily. Due to the fact that it inserted gaps between tracks, I found it very unsatisfactory. The radio features worked fine, but I still think the SONOS is the king in that department (as it also is in ergonomic terms – very slick). At any rate (although, it hardly matters any more), does the unit you have (or had) also fail to provide gapless playback?

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #90 on: 19 Jul 2012, 11:02 am »
James or Chris,

The BDP-1 arrives today. I'm very excited, but I assume my wait isn't quite over. There is a group of beta testers, but the official upgrade has yet to be released. Is the beta version available to newcomers, or must I exercise just a little more patience?  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #91 on: 19 Jul 2012, 12:07 pm »
James or Chris,

The BDP-1 arrives today. I'm very excited, but I assume my wait isn't quite over. There is a group of beta testers, but the official upgrade has yet to be released. Is the beta version available to newcomers, or must I exercise just a little more patience?  :)

Hi Kevin

I would recommend getting everything set up and operating properly first with the current software and then we can send you the beta version later. I fear allowing a new customer access to both a new BDP and new software in the same day could caused serious emotional overload  :lol:

James

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #92 on: 19 Jul 2012, 01:58 pm »
Hi Marius,

Thanks for the suggestion, as I have yet to find anything yet I am still open to suggestions.  We did look at vTuner and there service doesn't look promising for a company of our size.  Currently I am waiting to hear back from shoutcast for an API key.  However I have been waiting for sometime and continue to look for a partner of sorts.

Cheers,
Chris

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #93 on: 19 Jul 2012, 02:00 pm »
Thanks James, but you underestimate the degree to which I am a glutton for punishment. :icon_twisted: I'll probably be in touch tomorrow.

SHV

« Reply #94 on: 19 Jul 2012, 03:59 pm »
"I fear allowing a new customer access to both a new BDP and new software in the same day could caused serious emotional overload"
That is excellent advice, especially for software that will just be out of "beta".

Steve

Alpha10

« Reply #95 on: 19 Jul 2012, 07:50 pm »
Hi Marius

Chris

Chris, have you tried "TuneIn Radio" ??

Cheers

Marius

« Reply #96 on: 19 Jul 2012, 09:14 pm »
Nope, no gapless. Per design Marantz stated to me upon pressing request....

I do like the radio (internet and terrestrial) and thats what i use it for mainly right now. Other services are more for the american market. Indo use the extra dac possibilities too.

Amongst others...

Marius

Marius,

(Please pardon the way off topic nature of this post.)

I'm curious about your experience with the NA-7004. I bought one, but I sent it back – did not transition from file to file seamlessly. I called tech support and was informed that my unit was operating as designed, which I thought was odd and very disappointing. The user interface on the Marantz left a lot to be desired as well, but I could live with that as long as the thing worked satisfactorily. Due to the fact that it inserted gaps between tracks, I found it very unsatisfactory. The radio features worked fine, but I still think the SONOS is the king in that department (as it also is in ergonomic terms – very slick). At any rate (although, it hardly matters any more), does the unit you have (or had) also fail to provide gapless playback?

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #97 on: 20 Jul 2012, 01:27 am »
Nope, no gapless. Per design Marantz stated to me upon pressing request....
Marius

That's what I was told as well - a hardware limitation (no hope that a future firmware release would redress the shortcoming). Thanks for the confirmation.

Enough about that other player - the BDP-1 is here and it's outstanding! The user control interface is great. It passed the gapless playback test. It sounds wonderful. I'm obeying the directive to not download the beta firmware until tomorrow, but that's only three hours away. :lol:

I've only had it in my system for a couple of hours, but I love it. Bryston nailed it! :thumb:

* If I were pressed to pick nits, it's a little slow to build up the database (as compared to the SONOS or the NA-7004), but I'm not complaining at all. * I'm extremely pleased with this purchase. My network audio player woes appear to be a thing of the past.

* Even that attempt at nitpicking was misplaced - I was full of it  :D *
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2012, 12:16 am by kevin360 »

Vipers

« Reply #98 on: 21 Jul 2012, 02:26 pm »
Chris, have you tried "TuneIn Radio" ??

Cheers

+1 for TuneIn Radio, I use it every day on my Sonos Connect at work just to access Internet radio, it really is faultless + it's available to listen to on a PC, Apple or Android and you can save favourite radio stations to access across all platforms, if the BDP-1 was one of those platforms I would be a very happy bunny :)

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #99 on: 21 Jul 2012, 02:43 pm »
I confess ai haven't tried vTuner for years, but if Chris is taking suggestions, and it can be arranged, I find TuneIn works very well.