AMR DP-777 vs. MEITNER MA-1 DAC

audiogoober

AMR DP-777 vs. MEITNER MA-1 DAC
« on: 26 Jan 2013, 12:32 pm »
Has anyone compared these two DAC's?

I have the opportunity to upgrade my DP-777 to a MA-1 for very little out of pocket costs but I don't have the chance to listen to the MA-1 in my system. Any thoughts if the Meitner would be a step up or not?

wisnon

Re: AMR DP-777 vs. MEITNER MA-1 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2013, 05:57 pm »
It would offer DSD, but a step up may be expecting too much.

Best to do a home demo...

audiogoober

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2013, 08:32 pm »
As mentioned, a home audition/demo is not possible. This is why I'm asking around to see if anyone has compared both.

Why would you say not to expect a step up? Have you compared these two DAC's?

dmatt

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2013, 09:15 pm »
I think ted_b has the MA-1, you could PM him.  Or maybe he'll see this post since he is the moderator on another circle (hi-res).

Hope you find your answer.

Cheers.

David

jriggy

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2013, 09:26 pm »
I love my DP-777.

Does that help?  J :wink: k

schw06

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2013, 09:44 pm »
I love my DP-777.

Does that help?  J :wink: k
Same with me. That dac is the cornerstone of my system. Is there something you feel is missing from the dac? I would ask you to critically look at all your components because I doubt the DP-777 is the culprit of your issues.
David

audiogoober

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2013, 10:03 pm »
Same with me. That dac is the cornerstone of my system. Is there something you feel is missing from the dac? I would ask you to critically look at all your components because I doubt the DP-777 is the culprit of your issues.
David

What's missing? DSD capability!!

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2013, 10:19 pm »
I had the MA-1 for a demo when it first became available.  It would have been my first choice, but the MSB Signature DAC IV bested it (at 3 X MSRP) as I would have expected.  The MA-1 was better in my system than the Weiss DAC-202 and Playback Designs MPS-5.  It also bested the PS Audio Perfectwave DAC (version 1) and my previous Esoteric D-05.  Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the AMR unit.

wisnon

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2013, 11:35 pm »
As mentioned, a home audition/demo is not possible. This is why I'm asking around to see if anyone has compared both.

Why would you say not to expect a step up? Have you compared these two DAC's?

Cuz the AMR is so very highly touted and is a TUBE Dac.

Dont mind me, I am a Lampi owner...

Zero

« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2013, 11:45 pm »
Count me in as another happy AMR owner..  for what that's worth. 

Audioclyde

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jan 2013, 12:55 am »
I have both in house right now; I was one of the 1st dp-777 owners in the US and continue to love it. However, I really wanted the cability of playing DSD files natively and just don't have the space (and don't want) two DACs. I have had the MA-1 for around 3 weeks now--I was pretty worried that I would sorely miss the dp-777's sweet sound when I removed it and it's tubed output stage from the system.

IMHO, the MA-1 and the dp-777 are more similar than different on redbook and non DSD high res. The MA-1 might have a tiny bit less 'romantic' midrange (I love the dp-777's mids), but honestly it's very close. The MA-1 has a bit more detail and soundstages a bit better in my setup.  I could be very very happy with either dac; again I think they sound a lot alike.

But, the MA-1 playing DSD files has me over the top happy--I can't stop listening to DSD!!!

Bottom line, again IMHO and in my setup, if DSD isn't important to you, I would stick with the AMR and spend the upgrade funds elsewhere. If you want to do DSD, grab the Meitner--I don't think you will miss the AMR.

I'll likely list my dp-777 for sale in a couple of weeks, but I'm not letting it go until I'm absolutely certain that the MA-1 fills all my needs (but I'd say I'm 98% there at this point).

Hope this is helpful in some way.

Best,

Randy

audiogoober

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jan 2013, 02:16 am »
I have both in house right now; I was one of the 1st dp-777 owners in the US and continue to love it. However, I really wanted the cability of playing DSD files natively and just don't have the space (and don't want) two DACs. I have had the MA-1 for around 3 weeks now--I was pretty worried that I would sorely miss the dp-777's sweet sound when I removed it and it's tubed output stage from the system.

IMHO, the MA-1 and the dp-777 are more similar than different on redbook and non DSD high res. The MA-1 might have a tiny bit less 'romantic' midrange (I love the dp-777's mids), but honestly it's very close. The MA-1 has a bit more detail and soundstages a bit better in my setup.  I could be very very happy with either dac; again I think they sound a lot alike.
But, the MA-1 playing DSD files has me over the top happy--I can't stop listening to DSD!!!

Bottom line, again IMHO and in my setup, if DSD isn't important to you, I would stick with the AMR and spend the upgrade funds elsewhere. If you want to do DSD, grab the Meitner--I don't think you will miss the AMR.

I'll likely list my dp-777 for sale in a couple of weeks, but I'm not letting it go until I'm absolutely certain that the MA-1 fills all my needs (but I'd say I'm 98% there at this point).

Hope this is helpful in some way.

Best,

Randy

Thanks Randy!

This is exactly what I was looking for! I have several TB's of DSD files and have no way to listen to them. I now have more DSD than PCM files and I'm not about to start using two DAC's so I'm looking for a logical solution. I do love the AMR except sometimes I think it's too romantic when certain tracks playing definitely are not meant to be "romantic". A very good DAC but it happens to be the weakest link in my system right now. I may have to splurge for the EMM DAC2X in the near future but am going to go for the MA-1 for now. Please keep me posted when you decide what DAC is best for you. Thanks again!

Best,

Greg

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2013, 04:02 am »
It will be interesting to see what Neil Young's new Pono digital format does to the market. With Meridian's Bob Stewart working on this, Pono must have some forseeable future. Will DSD and PCM become a thing of the past? Or is Pono compatible with the two?

wisnon

« Reply #13 on: 27 Jan 2013, 02:41 pm »
Thanks Randy!

This is exactly what I was looking for! I have several TB's of DSD files and have no way to listen to them. I now have more DSD than PCM files and I'm not about to start using two DAC's so I'm looking for a logical solution. I do love the AMR except sometimes I think it's too romantic when certain tracks playing definitely are not meant to be "romantic". A very good DAC but it happens to be the weakest link in my system right now. I may have to splurge for the EMM DAC2X in the near future but am going to go for the MA-1 for now. Please keep me posted when you decide what DAC is best for you. Thanks again!

Best,

Greg

As I said, not a step up, but you have near parity and get DSD.

BTW, YOU can convert the DSD files to 24/176 and play them in PCM without much loss, but I agree its best to play DSD natively.

Me, I will likely get a cheaper DSD device like the Chord Qute HD with its FPGA, as I wont give up my Lampi. The Chord is so tiny, that I dont have too much box inflation.

Another great Qute review: http://www.mcleans.info/information/news.do?newsId=6636
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2013, 12:28 pm by wisnon »

jriggy

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jan 2013, 04:36 pm »
Cuz the AMR is so very highly touted and is a TUBE Dac.

Dont mind me, I am a Lampi owner...

What Lampizator do you have? I demoed the L4 but chose the AMR for a few reasons.

wisnon

« Reply #15 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:27 pm »
Sorry Jriggy, I just saw your post!

L4 Generation 4 , about 3 months old. Multibit chip.