Amplifier for Mini ?

stlrman

Amplifier for Mini ?
« on: 10 Dec 2011, 01:54 pm »
Does anyone use a tube amp of under 50 watts to power the Minis?
Thanks!!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Amplifier for Mini ?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2011, 02:03 pm »
Based on 15w and Mini's, it probably depends on how much below 50w and size of the room.

Lin

Charles Xavier

« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:50 pm »
Good question ? Lonewolf may have heard these with lower amps, maybe he'll chime in.

roscoeiii

« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2011, 03:56 pm »
I am particularly interested in pairing Minis with OTL designs. I currently have an Atma-Sphere S-30, the least powerful in the line. Room is only 13x15 or so...

Charles Xavier

« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2011, 04:03 pm »
I am particularly interested in pairing Minis with OTL designs. I currently have an Atma-Sphere S-30, the least powerful in the line. Room is only 13x15 or so...

I Know that these and all of Bob's speakers love power and do sound better with higher power amps
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2011, 09:29 pm by Charles Xavier »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2011, 04:26 pm »
Steve (SAS Audio) had mine for a few weeks in his slightly larger room using his 25w amps and IIRC the combination worked well.

While I agree more power can be more better, IME in a smaller room lower power (25+w) tube amps can work.

Lin

stlrman

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2011, 10:45 pm »
Wolf, You out there?

Charles Xavier

« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2011, 11:54 pm »
Wolf, You out there?

He'll chime in after Midnight

stlrman

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2011, 12:09 am »
lol...hahaha

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2011, 11:31 pm »
Does anyone use a tube amp of under 50 watts to power the Minis?
Thanks!!

I have used my KR Audio amp....20 watts...to power the Mini's...worked out OK in a small room (which I have).

The Mini's can handle whatever amp you have..their not afraid of power... :wink:  :rock:

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2011, 12:41 pm »
Steve (SAS Audio) had mine for a few weeks in his slightly larger room using his 25w amps and IIRC the combination worked well.

While I agree more power can be more better, IME in a smaller room lower power (25+w) tube amps can work.

Lin

Did you hear Steve's 25 wpc amps?  I'm seriously thinking about getting those or the 50wpc versions.  Steve doesn't have any made at the moment and I'm trying to find someone local who can give an audition.  I high pass my monitors and use subs so 25w would probably be sufficient.  Were you able to crank them up to reference levels with 25w?  Thanks!

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:22 am »
Did you hear Steve's 25 wpc amps? 

I think I have heard every version of the SAS Audio P/P amps since 2004.

I'm seriously thinking about getting those or the 50wpc versions.

You will not be disappointed.  :thumb:

Steve doesn't have any made at the moment and I'm trying to find someone local who can give an audition.

Morton or try to talk Steve into bringing his up.

I high pass my monitors and use subs so 25w would probably be sufficient.  Were you able to crank them up to reference levels with 25w?  Thanks!

Didn't try reference levels. Bamberg 5s? The 50w ULs may work better.
Since you are not too far away Steve may be able to rewire if you get the 25w version (not sure if he is willing or how much it would cost/best to give him a call).

Lin

roscoeiii

« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2011, 12:49 am »
Well, now that I pulled the trigger on the Minis (thanks Todd!). I will report back on my amp experiences here. I have an Atma-Sphere S-30 in the house (though I need some more 6AS7s before I hook it up to the minis, the amp can play fewer pairs of power tubes for more efficient speakers), and some Emotiva BPA-1 amps bridgeable to mono blocks.

Otherwise it has been flea watt over here. Lin, don' think the Decware SE84B will be paired with these (but I will be hanging onto a high efficiency system).

Any amp pairing suggestions for SP Tech/Aether speakers are more than welcome.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:07 am »

Otherwise it has been flea watt over here. Lin, don't think the Decware SE84B will be paired with these (but I will be hanging onto a high efficiency system).

I never went there either.  :lol:

Place one of these ^ next to each ear.

Call this a headphone amp

roscoeiii

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:10 am »
Brilliant Lin.

Now where can I find a headphone band to hold their weight?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:14 am »
Brilliant Lin.

Now where can I find a headphone band to hold their weight?

What do you think headphone stands are for?

roscoeiii

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2011, 01:29 am »
 :lol: :lol:

Looking at the SP Tech owners list on this circle, it seems like folks are driving these with some pretty mean SS amps. Some Class D stuff seems really popular with them too. On the SS side, how many watts is ideal, any other particular  specs I should be looking at in these amps. Coming from flea watt land, so this is new territory for me.

stlrman

« Reply #17 on: 16 Dec 2011, 07:37 pm »
Wyred 4 Sound STI-1000 Integrated. Never heard this , but 570watts into 8 ohms should get you rollin. :thumb:
Todd

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 16 Dec 2011, 08:09 pm »
Yeah, Wyred is on my radar for sure.

mfsoa

« Reply #19 on: 16 Dec 2011, 08:46 pm »
We have heard various SPTech models w/ various DAC Cherry amps at many a rave, and I had them at my place for a few months - Always sang nicely and got the most from the bass.

-Mike