BDP-2 in the Heat of the Night(no not Sidney Poiter

drummermitchell

BDP-2 in the Heat of the Night(no not Sidney Poiter
« on: 24 Oct 2014, 12:38 am »
Just curious if folks leave there BDP's on 24/7 and are they stacked on top of other components.
I usually leave ALL components on 24/7 except my amps as the boost my hydro up 40 -60.00 a month(28's).
My BDP-2 is on top of the BDA-2 dac in a pro rack which is open and seems to get very warm,not hot but very warm.
Lately have been shutting it down between sessions as that overly warm bothers me a bit.
I'd rather leave her on 24/7 instead of the H/C scenario.
Maybe I'll rearrange my rack components and put her bellow the dac,any just curious as warm is fine but real warm to me is not so good.

Mag

Re: BDP-2 in the Heat of the Night(no not Sidney Poiter
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2014, 12:49 am »
I usually leave it on 24/7 on weekends. During the week I may leave it on but I usually shut it off. I have it placed in front of my TV for easy access, and can operate the buttons with my big toe. :smoke:

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2014, 03:21 am »
hi, Drummer!

my BDP-1 is placed on top of the BDA-1. they never get hot. the rest of the system is 3B SST2 and 26. and except of the amp everything else is on 24/7 and everything is fine.

...hopefully you don't have to send the BDP in for repair again...

al.

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2014, 12:23 pm »
Hi Al,
Yesterday I rearranged the BDA and BDP and put the Surgex between them.
After connecting everything back up,powered everything up,all was good except my track list was all jumbled up Alphabetally haywire..DHALMDB ect.
WTF is going on here,seems I didn't have Seagate plugged in :duh:.
Plugged her in did a update on the BDP-2 and were good,she's been on since yesterday afternoon and the heat doesn't seem to much now.
Was thinking of maybe putting a Pro cool fan above it(one rack space),

Samurai7595

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2014, 02:52 pm »
Was thinking of maybe putting a Pro cool fan above it(one rack space),

Sounds like a plan, provided it doesn't make too much noise...

drummermitchell

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2014, 04:52 pm »
Yep,I have the 2u rack style in my front rack for the 28's and another between my 7Bsst2's
Procool are vewy,vewy quiet,can.t tell their on even with no music on :thumb:.

yyz

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2014, 07:50 pm »
drummermitchell,

Can you tell me how much warmer the 28B-SST2 are in your room compared to the 7B-SST2's. Does it warm up the room too much to make it uncomfortable? Do you need AC in the room with the 28B's?

I am hoping to make a purchase soon and I am having doubts about the 28B's due to heat. I am in California and my room is about 23+ Celsius all the time. I tend to listen for long periods and usually at a moderate to loud volume (so maybe NOT operating in Class A bias). I am asking this questions due to a few online comments I read about the amps temperature.

I owned the older 7B-SST's in the past and heat was never a factor with them. I played them loud.

drummermitchell

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:24 pm »
Hi,
The 28's in the front open rack are stacked with a 7B-SST(center duty).
Use to leave them on 24/7 but my power bill was a tad up 40-60 a month more with 7bs.
Now I power up 15-30 min before listening,the 28's are bit warmer than the 7B-SST(even with the 7 on top).
I'll say the 28's after 4hrs or so are a comfortable warm where you can put your hand on them and its comfortable.
They don't heat up my 12 x19x7 room,I think if they did that they would need rebiased as I know how hot that can get(happened a few yrs back).
The 7B-SST2's are just for surround duty :o,just cuz I always wanted monos all around.
Heat from the 28's,I wouldn't be concerned as I know I can have my hand on them for as long as I want and is comfortable.
My Vac tube pre is on 24/7 and she's warmer than the thre bad boys up front and can leave my hand on also.
I'll try a couple picts and you'll have an idea of how they are stacked ect:

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2014, 10:27 pm »
And the front rack:

OOPS,couldn't rotate the pict but you'll have a good idea .

yyz

« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2014, 11:09 pm »
Thanks for the feedback on the 28B's. Your amps look real nice in black. I always liked the silver colour for the amps but your gear looks menacing.