Cartridge Question

I.Greyhound Fan

Cartridge Question
« on: 1 Sep 2014, 06:21 pm »
I am currently auditioning a Thorens TD-145 TT that I am probably going to buy.  I was wondering if I could get some help picking a cartridge.  I am looking at a Nagaoka MP200 and a Grado Reference Platinum cartridge for their warmer yet fairly detailed sound in the $350 price range.  Will either of these cart's work well with the Thorens TP-16 tone arm?  The tone arm is supposed to low mass but by todays standard it is probably medium mass at an effective mass of 16.5gms.  I am leaning to the MP200.  I want to stay in the $300-350 price range.

My phono preamp is a Bellari VP-129 and the current cartridge in the Thorens is an Ortofon 2m Red which is surprisingly dynamic with deep bass and good air.  The mid range lacks a little though and there could be a bit more detail.  I eventually plan on upgrading the phono preamp to a Pro-Ject Tube DS or used Tube Box IIse.  For now I plan on modding the Bellari with opa2134 op amps and an NOS amprex, phillips or tung sol tube

Thanks for the help,

Larry

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
Re: Cartridge Question
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2014, 07:04 pm »
Hi,
The Nagaoka should be better on a 16.5g arm.  Grados like arms of a little lower mass.

Oddly enough the 2M is slightly higher compliance than the Grado, but the Grado suspension is undamped and they're touchy about appropriate arms.  They also interact badly with certain platters.  I think there's a compatibility chart somewhere on Karma. 
The stylus can be upgraded on the Ortofon.  The Blue should be smoother and somewhat more resolving. The bodies are identical.  The Bronze and Black are slightly different, but the styli will fit.  Don't know if the 2M is part of the deal or not.  If so, maybe this is pertinent.
neo

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2014, 07:10 pm »
Hi,
The Nagaoka should be better on a 16.5g arm.  Grados like arms of a little lower mass.

Oddly enough the 2M is slightly higher compliance than the Grado, but the Grado suspension is undamped and they're touchy about appropriate arms.  They also interact badly with certain platters.  I think there's a compatibility chart somewhere on Karma. 
The stylus can be upgraded on the Ortofon.  The Blue should be smoother and somewhat more resolving. The bodies are identical.  The Bronze and Black are slightly different, but the styli will fit.  Don't know if the 2M is part of the deal or not.  If so, maybe this is pertinent.
neo

Thanks for the reply.  I will probably go with the Nagaoka.  I was considering an Ortofon Bronze but I fear it will be a little less forgiving of my old LP's and the used ones that I buy.  I also want a little warmth and a review of the bronze says it is anything but warm.   The Black is more than I am willing to spend right now.  The Nagaoka has some nice features in its price range, especially the Boron Cantilever.  I have read that the MP-200 has similar tonal qualities of the Grado but with more detail and dynamics.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Sep 2014, 03:14 pm »
Thanks Neo.  You are a treasure trove of knowledge and we all appreciate your sharing of it here.  :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2014, 04:19 am »
I checked the nagaoka MP-200's compatibility with the Thoren's tone arm and it should give a resonance frequency of about 9.5 which is within the ideal range of 8-12.  They should be a good match.