Using Nearfield Reference Monitors for music listening

NetTechie

I got some Mackie HR824mk2's for a good deal used, for listening to primarily EDM. I may get into mixing later, so I felt investing in monitors made more sense financially than buying two sets of speakers, one for listening and one for mixing. What are your thoughts on these monitors? I've only compared them with cheaper speakers, as no stores here (that I could find) had more expensive ones for demo. I actually demo'd HR624mk2's and they sounded better than anything else they had so I decided to get the 824's used (no 624's used available). Is this the wrong forum to talk about powered studio monitors for music listening? Thanks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Using Nearfield Reference Monitors for music listening
« Reply #1 on: 1 Sep 2014, 12:20 pm »
Your choices (single pair of speakers and going active) are spot on.

But I've found most studio monitors (including Mackie) to be dry and un-involving and meant for near-field use versus home audio speakers that provide emotional connection and designed for in-room listening.  The HR824mk2's are really too big/bass endowed IMO to be used on a bridge/desktop.

What's EDM?

Quiet Earth

Re: Using Nearfield Reference Monitors for music listening
« Reply #2 on: 1 Sep 2014, 03:30 pm »
Actually the 824s are a little better at being a pleasure speaker than a mixing speaker. I thought mine were, anyway. And they worked just as well on a desk top bridge as well as stand mounted in a typical HiFi setting. That's a very good entry level speaker for double duty.

The only real problem with the 824s is when you expect the very best when mixing and you expect the very best when pleasure listening at the same time. In other words, if your expectations become unreasonable you will be unhappy.

I think if you learn how to mix on them and when you learn how they translate to other systems they will suit you well. I should have kept mine. Live and learn.