Serious PC modding (picoless linear PS, modded USB card, etc)

randytsuch

I have been planning to start this thread for a while, decided to finally do it.

I started building a new audio PC this summer.  It started like a somewhat standard PC, but has now morphed into a "project".

So to start this thread, I'll describe how I went to linear power, removing the pico PS that I had been using.

First off, here is the PC configuration
Case Lian Li PC-C34F  :Removed optical disk cage from right side (when facing the front of chassis) and disconnected/removed all chassis fans.
Motherboard             MSI H81-P33
Processor                 Pentium G3258  53w
Heatsink                  Scythe shuriken rev B
DRAM                      Crucial CT25672BA1067 2GB 240 pin DIMM DDR3 ECC  x 2
Power supply            Astron +12 and DIY +5 and +3.3 Power supplies
Storage                   Samsung SSD 240gb drive for music files
Storage                   Samsung SSD 64GB drive for OS or a Western Digital 16GB CF card on a CF to SATA adapter.

Using this as my PC, I bought a couple of Astron linear, 12VDC power supplies, I used the RS-12A.  This supplies the 12VDC.
I built a 5VDC linear and a 3.3VDC linear.  I also built in some switches for power sequencing.

For all the details, you can read my blog here:
http://randytsuch-audio.blogspot.com/2014/09/pc-built-for-audio-playback-2014.html

Although I did run into a few problems, and made some mistakes along the way, it really wasn't that hard.

And it seems to work fine.  I finished the 3.3VDC power supply this weekend, and it powers up every time so far with no problems. 
With the heatsinks I used (oversized for the power), the regulators just get warm.

When I get around to the next installment, I'll tell you how I modded a Silverstone PCIE to USB card.

Oh, and IMHO, it sounds really good with full linear power.  As I described in my blog, I did make some comprises, especially the use of walwarts for unregulated dc power, but even so there is no comparison to a normal PC PS.

Randy

randytsuch

So I stumbled upon this today at CA, a group buy started for the Teradak Linear PS's

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/teradak-computer-linear-power-supply-17689/index4.html#post351877

So if you don't want to make your own, this is an easy way to go linear.

So is anyone else modding their PCs?
If you get a cheap MB and processor like I did, really not much to lose, and lots of potential.

Randy

lokie

Looking pretty hard at this for my mac mini.

KECES

Folsom

KECES

Lot of discussion on Mac Mini PSU, db audio's Eric can tell you that the stock PSU doesn't respond to anything really. I've considered trying a filter for it, but it might be beyond saving.

randytsuch

KECES

Sorry, I don't have a mac mini so this isn't something I've looked at.

Seems like it would be a good idea though

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
I've been into similar projects with soundcards, with good results in the past. Now contemplating to mod my Essence STX with discrete opamps, similar to this one:

http://www.bursonaudio.com/asus-essence-stx-upgrade-with-burson-hd-opamps-by-andrea-m/

Using the new opamps by burson. :)

This also caught my attention:
http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/aopentube/

Jon L

I have been planning to start this thread for a while, decided to finally do it.

I started building a new audio PC this summer.  It started like a somewhat standard PC, but has now morphed into a "project".

So to start this thread, I'll describe how I went to linear power, removing the pico PS that I had been using.

First off, here is the PC configuration
Case Lian Li PC-C34F  :Removed optical disk cage from right side (when facing the front of chassis) and disconnected/removed all chassis fans.
Motherboard             MSI H81-P33
Processor                 Pentium G3258  53w
Heatsink                  Scythe shuriken rev B
DRAM                      Crucial CT25672BA1067 2GB 240 pin DIMM DDR3 ECC  x 2
Power supply            Astron +12 and DIY +5 and +3.3 Power supplies
Storage                   Samsung SSD 240gb drive for music files
Storage                   Samsung SSD 64GB drive for OS or a Western Digital 16GB CF card on a CF to SATA adapter.

Using this as my PC, I bought a couple of Astron linear, 12VDC power supplies, I used the RS-12A.  This supplies the 12VDC.
I built a 5VDC linear and a 3.3VDC linear.  I also built in some switches for power sequencing.

For all the details, you can read my blog here:
http://randytsuch-audio.blogspot.com/2014/09/pc-built-for-audio-playback-2014.html

Although I did run into a few problems, and made some mistakes along the way, it really wasn't that hard.

And it seems to work fine.  I finished the 3.3VDC power supply this weekend, and it powers up every time so far with no problems. 
With the heatsinks I used (oversized for the power), the regulators just get warm.

When I get around to the next installment, I'll tell you how I modded a Silverstone PCIE to USB card.

Oh, and IMHO, it sounds really good with full linear power.  As I described in my blog, I did make some comprises, especially the use of walwarts for unregulated dc power, but even so there is no comparison to a normal PC PS.

Randy

Wow, I assume you do this because you enjoy the process as much as the results  :thumb:
Out of curiosity, what would the approximate system cost be (excluding labor) when all is done?

lokie

ot of discussion on Mac Mini PSU, db audio's Eric can tell you that the stock PSU doesn't respond to anything really. I've considered trying a filter for it, but it might be beyond saving.

Not sure what you mean here.

Can you provide a link to db audio?

randytsuch

Hey Jon
I did a quick estimate of the parts costs.  Since I used a cheap mb and processor, so it really wasn't that much.
And I already had the case, but I paid $150 for it a few years ago.  Oh and I bought some of this stuff late last year, earlier this year, so the cost was spread out over some time.

150   case
60   mb
70   processor
30   heatsink
40   dram
80   astrons
50   linear PS parts
200   ssd 240
70   ssd 64
30   usb card
780   TOTAL

And yes I enjoyed building this. 

Noseyears
Interesting tube motherboard.  I think it's more of a gimic, but it's still cool.

EDIT:  I didn't include the cost of all the Jensen caps I installed because I already had them.  If I had to buy them, I have around $300 in caps in there too.

Randy

Folsom

Not sure what you mean here.

Can you provide a link to db audio?

I see you've already seen the discussion that is on the PI forum section. That was partly inspired by Eric as well.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=profile;u=54200

lokie

Re: Serious PC modding (picoless linear PS, modded USB card, etc)
« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2014, 12:14 pm »
Ok, let me be more specific, what does this quote mean?

the stock PSU doesn't respond to anything really

I need to mention that I am working with an MM '090 which has a a external PS.

Your comment implies that modding the PS doesn't do any good but aren't we talking about replacing the PS? Thanks.

Folsom

Re: Serious PC modding (picoless linear PS, modded USB card, etc)
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2014, 03:58 pm »
Forms of conditioning and filters for it have been rather unsuccessful so far, both to improve the mini, and to block its PSU from other equipment.