JohnR

New T1 owner
« on: 14 Sep 2014, 11:03 am »
-> me <-

(more latr)

dB Cooper

Re: New T1 owner
« Reply #1 on: 15 Sep 2014, 12:34 am »
I heard the T1 at CAF and liked it very much. Not so much the T90 I heard at last year's show. Tell us more once you have run them in, please.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Sep 2014, 12:37 am »
Congrats!

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2014, 12:45 am »

Enjoy !  I do like mine very much.

D.D.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2014, 05:26 am »
Thanks guyz :)

Really curious about amps used, music used, etc.

I'm experimenting with tube amps. Last effort was an Aikido octal with a pair of Magnequest B7 line transformers. Need to get that one going again. Also been trying out a Broskie cathode follower out of a TVC.

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 15 Sep 2014, 09:32 am »
Nice headphones the T1. :thumb:

I am running a T90 / T70 hybrid a lovely combination.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 15 Sep 2014, 10:02 am »
Hey, how do you get a T90/T70 hybrid? Did you modify one somehow? Just curious :)

I tried the T1 straight out of my iPad mini Retina today, with the Qobuz player. It's quite listenable, I was surprised. Loud enough for me. I'll have an iPad-usable DAC soon I hope (iDSD nano) to try.

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 15 Sep 2014, 11:12 am »
Hi John,

Congrats on the new headphones.  Have you listened to Red Wine Audio's iMod?  Its great as a source.

Cheers Rod

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2014, 11:24 am »
Hi Rod! I've never seen or heard an iMod.

Well, they're only new to me, I bought them used. But they may not even be run in yet.

toocool4

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2014, 11:46 am »
Hey, how do you get a T90/T70 hybrid? Did you modify one somehow? Just curious :)

I tried the T1 straight out of my iPad mini Retina today, with the Qobuz player. It's quite listenable, I was surprised. Loud enough for me. I'll have an iPad-usable DAC soon I hope (iDSD nano) to try.

Okay JohnR my headphone are a mod and this is what I did to it.

T70 housing with felt pads for damping, T90 drivers, T1 ear pads, T70 cables, drilled 2 holes at the bottom of each cup and Furutech 3.5mm connectors.

So what you have is an open back sounding headphones in a closed back design. Sounds better than the T90 but not as good as the T1’s. It’s a very pleasant sound that sounds better than a lot of headphones I have compared it to.

I put it against the Sennheisier HD700, Oppo PM-1, Beyerdynamic T5P and more it just kills them.

At the Munich high-end show the Beyer guys loved what I had done to it. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2014, 04:58 pm »
JohnR,
Welcome to the T1 club!  One of the finest headphones ever made, IMO, and I've owned/heard a metric ton of headphones.  You really have to get to stupid money levels to do better.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2014, 06:59 pm »
I love the fact that you're using a Walkman, very original and i bet sounds great along with your mod.

Used the T1's mainly with SS gear, they will be on my rig...someday. Congrats for your purchase.

toocool4

« Reply #12 on: 17 Sep 2014, 11:40 pm »
I love the fact that you're using a Walkman, very original and i bet sounds great along with your mod.

Thanks yes it does sound fantastic. I use it with the DC2 or D6C. 8)

randytsuch

« Reply #13 on: 17 Sep 2014, 11:45 pm »
Hey John
Cool, I'm curious how the T1's sound.

I've also considered building Aikido based circuits but haven't got around to it, maybe one of these days.

Randy

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2014, 06:20 pm »
By the way JohnR, this is something to consider down the road  :thumb:

JohnR

« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2014, 02:53 pm »
Hi Noseyears - what's that?

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #16 on: 19 Sep 2014, 05:24 pm »
A mod performed by Larry at headphile, basically recabling with custom wood cups.

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2014, 11:24 am »
Hey!

I've still got the T1s. I discovered something remarkable last night, which is that the right combination of DAC and amp with the T1s can in fact be... remarkable. I was having trouble with them... to say the least. I hate the notion of "synergy" because it throws all logic up into the air and lets the pieces fall where they may. Not to mention the cost of trying an exponentially increasing number of combinations. I cling to the notion that there's some logic behind it though...

More latr.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2014, 06:47 pm »
The T1's like a big amp, something with some grunt and control.  Otherwise the turn mushy and dark.  But even with a less than optimal amp, they sound better than the HD800's, which are just too bright sounding to me.

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 16 Dec 2014, 04:04 am »
Tyson, what do you mean by a "big" amp exactly?