Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

maxwalrath

« Reply #100 on: 25 Oct 2005, 12:08 am »
lonewolf, I can't get in that link to point myself out.... I think it's just my computer....

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #101 on: 28 Oct 2005, 01:00 pm »
I heard Dorado Schmitt in Django Reinhardt Festival held at Kennedy Center Jazz Club last night.  Amazing guitarist!  I have been listening to a lot of Django and Stephane Grapelli on LPs recently and these guys compare favorably.  Dorado has a certain stage presence that shows that he is a master of his art.  They will be at Birdland in November.   You guys in New York who appreciate good guitar work should check him out if you haven't already.  http://www.djangobirdland.com/

sts9fan

well
« Reply #102 on: 28 Oct 2005, 01:56 pm »
I haven't gone yet BUT I am going to see Mike Gordon and Leo Kottke tonight!! I am super pumped and will report back :mrgreen:

Ears

« Reply #103 on: 28 Oct 2005, 04:19 pm »
Took my 13 year old son and freinds to a Systym of a Down concert a couple weeks back thinking I desereved the father of the year award or something for doing so.
Strange thing is....this band absolutely is very good in concert and kept the entire 12k crowd on its feet and pumped for 30 straight songs including upcoming video foootage and one cover of Dire Srraits.
This is not really my kind of music...but after listening to some of there lyrics and finding them anti suicide,anti cocaine, anti war.....or at least questioning...Why do they always send the poor?....I thought for this type of heavy music...they had a more positive message than most.

The db's were too loud as usual for this type of concert...but they were very clean and you could clearly hear every note and lyric.

So if anyone takes there kid to a concert such as this to keep them out of the mosh pit and from crowd surfing....you may possibly enjoy the show to boot.
If you happen to like this group already....then definitely go see them.

nancy

Latest Live Show
« Reply #104 on: 5 Nov 2005, 08:12 pm »
A friend and I saw The Moody Blues in concert about 10 days ago.  They have of course aged but they sounded great!  I had forgotten how much of their music I knew and enjoyed.  Only three of the original members were in the band.  The newer drummer (sorry I don't know his name) was pretty awesome, as was their flute player.  We sat fairly close to the stage and the balance in the musical sound was fantastic.  A couple of other notables have been Lucinda Williams and Lyle Lovett.  Both top notch!!

SWG255

Richard Thompson
« Reply #105 on: 6 Nov 2005, 07:10 pm »
A friend and i caught Richard Thompson with Danny Thompson at the Birchmere in Alexandria Virginia last Monday. The show was excellent, just the two of them, Richard playing acoustic guitar and Danny playing double-bass. The sound was really good too, with Richard sounding in very good voice. They played for about two hours including two encores.

I liked the warm-up singer-songwriter too, Eliza Gilkyson from Austin Texas. Her new album, "The Paradise Hotel" is going on my shortlist of discs to buy.

nancy

Elton John
« Reply #106 on: 6 Nov 2005, 11:43 pm »
I saw Elton John last night at the USBank Arena in Cincinnati.  (Very large venue!)  It was the first time that Ive had the opportunity to see a concert from a suite.  There are difinitely pros and cons.  I loved the convenience of having a restroom right there, the food and drink were excellent and plentiful, and the ability to move about made the evening a lot of fun.  Because they use projection screens for the Elton John show I felt that visually I caught as much as I would have with really good floor seats.  The sound however was very compromised.  

As far as the concert goes, definitely top rate!!  Some of his earlier stuff definitely took me WAY BACK - songs like Daniel and Bennie and the Jets.  He had an eight member back up choral group that could really rock and his band was tremendous.  The lead guitarist had more guitar switches than I have ever seen in any show and man could he play.  Elton of course is the master of the ivory board and his voice has done nothing but get better as he has aged.

One of the highlights for me was the mastery of his video team.   The timing of the image switches along with the insertion of some of his music video footage was incredibly good.  For those of us who watch Sunday evening prime time shows, it was fun to see Terri Hatcher early in her career in one of his music videos.  

Even if Elton is a little soft for some tastes, its a concert definitely worth seeing.  He played for close to three hours, yet it seemed like he had just started as he finished his third encore!!  I would give it a double thumbs up rating!

sts9fan

« Reply #107 on: 17 Nov 2005, 01:56 pm »
On sunday I saw Jeff Tweedy solo which was really really good. The man can write a damn good song!! I would prefer a Wilco tour though!!

Sintz

« Reply #108 on: 29 Nov 2005, 11:04 pm »
Saw the Rolling Stones play at Fenway Park (home of the Red Sox), Boston MA this summer. Show was great (Black Eyed Peas opened - love Fergy!), but the sound was absolutely horrid. Way too loud (I'm only 26 and think it was too loud) and horrendous EQ. I've seen plenty of indoor arena shows and never heard acoustics like this before. Coundn't understand any lyrics, any bass line... hell I had a hard time distingusihing the guitar solos!

I was definately a great show anyways, awesome crowd, great weather...but would have been spectacular with a little more attention to proper PA setup.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #109 on: 29 Nov 2005, 11:11 pm »
Quote from: Sintz
Saw the Rolling Stones play at Fenway Park (home of the Red Sox), Boston MA this summer. Show was great (Black Eyed Peas opened - love Fergy!), but the sound was absolutely horrid. Way too loud (I'm only 26 and think it was too loud) and horrendous EQ. I've seen plenty of indoor arena shows and never heard acoustics like this before. Coundn't understand any lyrics, any bass line... hell I had a hard time distingusihing the guitar solos!

I was definately a great show anyways, awesome crowd, great weather...but would have been spectacular with a little more attention to proper PA setup.
Speaking of the Rolling Stones....they just landed a big gig..... the 2006 Super Bowl.

Occam

« Reply #110 on: 6 Jan 2006, 04:52 am »
Just got back from Manhattan where I saw the Raymond Scott Ochestrette at at Makor, 67th btw Columbus & CPW.-
http://www.92y.org/shop/event_detail.asp?productid=T%2DMM5PJ21&adsource=mb_scott&xad=mb_scott

50 folks tops in a small club. You don't know the group or composer, but you all know their music, if you ever watched cartoons. Great arrangements and wonderful musicians. Great sax, piano, violin, accordian, drums, upright bass, and slide zither.

eric the red

« Reply #111 on: 6 Jan 2006, 06:34 am »
Quote from: Sintz

On a flight from Houston to Vegas yesterday, my co-worker had first class to himself and the Black Eyed Peas and sat next to Fergie the whole flight :wink:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #112 on: 6 Jan 2006, 06:52 am »
I saw Cantus late last month.  Another wonderful performance, despite replacing one of their baritones.

Sintz

« Reply #113 on: 6 Jan 2006, 05:59 pm »
Quote from: eric the red
On a flight from Houston to Vegas yesterday, my co-worker had first class to himself and the Black Eyed Peas and sat next to Fergie the whole flight :wink:

Holy boner.

mcrespo71

« Reply #114 on: 7 Feb 2006, 07:08 pm »
My Ricky Martin loving fiancee took me to his concert yesterday at Radio City Music Hall and I went not expecting too much.  I like his English language debut album and some of the spanish only songs he has released, but I was unprepared for how good a performer he was live.  I was blown away and it sounds strange from me, since I see so many live shows a year, but I really wasn't prepared for it.  He danced, sang, played percussion, and was genuinely grateful for the position his fans have afforded him.  The heavily Puerto Rican crowd helped with the overall excitement as well.  Color me pleasantly surprised. :o   The sound was pretty clean but, as usual, too loud and I wore earplugs.

Michael

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
last show
« Reply #115 on: 7 Feb 2006, 07:46 pm »
Comander Cody And athe Comander Cody band last friday night

SWG255

Alejandro Escovedo acoustic show
« Reply #116 on: 7 Feb 2006, 10:11 pm »
I'm glad Alejandro has recovered from his hepititis enough to tour again. I caught him at the Birchmere last month, he was backed by a second guitar player, a violinist, two cellos and a bass. He's toured with this configuration and indeed, some of the same musicians before. All I can say is that all those strings could really, really jam. I didn't miss the percussion, and two cellos can rock out as well as the best multi-layered guitarists when the musicians are of this calibre.

A very impressive and unique performance.

bunky

« Reply #117 on: 7 Feb 2006, 10:13 pm »
I saw the extremely talented Texas Blues Guitarist Chris Duarte live at the Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis Md. on february 2nd and he played two blistering 90 min sets with a 30 min break in between. great show!

ctviggen

« Reply #118 on: 7 Feb 2006, 10:23 pm »
TWO 90 minute sets?  That's amazing.  3 hours of music.

mihilli

« Reply #119 on: 8 Feb 2006, 10:32 pm »
Tower of Power at an outdorr concert in Napier, New Zealand.  Every year at this time they have a wine festival (big wine growing area by NZ standards) and a concert.

TP was COOKIN!  A fantastic show, especailly outdoors under the stars after everyone had mellowed out with a few bottles of vino.

Very good local supporting acts as well.

A great day for everyone.