First Post - VMPS supertower R's Amplification/synergy?

Lee_in_Canada

Hi all,

I've been following discussions and learning about my VMPS supertower R's for the past 9 months when a set of  came into my life.  It's sad I never had a chance to tell Brian how thrilled I am with a product over twenty years old.  I love them and will continue to build up my system around them until they can sing at their full glory.

A question for other owners regarding system synergy and amplification power.  I listen to primarily vinyl but was wonder about amplifiers.  I use a pioneer vsx-1DS which in two channel mode is reasonably well regarded at 130W.  My question is, What is the sweet spot for amplification power especially to drive the low end of this 4 ohm speaker?

I'm new to threads in general so please point me to a location if this has been discussed before.

I like acoustic vocals.  country/blues etc.

Any thoughts from other users for system synergy would be great.

Thanks Lee

ST86

Re: First Post - VMPS supertower R's Amplification/synergy?
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2013, 04:58 pm »
Hi Lee,

My Supertowers are driven by a Yamaha DSP A1.  110 watts per channel.  I listen mainly to progressive and heavy rock.  My system is in my basement in a aprox. 22' X 20' room and I have no problem with  clean loud sound.  Don't know about a "sweet spot" but I would say your 130 watts should be fine.

Cheers,
Ed

Lee_in_Canada

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2013, 07:11 pm »
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the response.  It's so easy to go overboard with this stuff.  :thumb:

Your Yamaha gets good reviews.  That's great to know that 110 watts is fine for great sound from these.  There is a local denon poa 2400 available which I was thinking about to possibly open them up more?

You here so much about system synergy when it comes to audio.  I imagine the supertower /r's are reasonably balanced with better bass than most. 

I was wondering if owners consider this speaker warm/balanced/bias towards a certain kind of sound ect.  My audio experience is pretty green so I'm still learning the nuances of what I'm hearing. 

Thanks again for the response it's nice to feel part of this community.

Lee

Brax

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2013, 02:26 am »
Lee,

I have always been of the mind that more power is better than less. It keeps the distortion and clipping to a minimum. Better to have the power and not use it then push your amp to near its limits. I use a Cinenova Grande 5 that puts out 600 watts @ 4 ohms x 5 to drive my system. I am pleased with the results this gives me. I'm running a set of rm40s, a LRC and a set of rm2s in this setup. I used to drive them with Carver amp but the Cinenova has improved the sound even when played at the same level.

JMHO

sharper

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2013, 01:26 am »
Lee,
       I'm in Canada as well. I used to own the smaller version of the SuperTower's - Tower II/R.  Key was to control the woofer with these speakers. Lots of good quality power worked for me. I used an Audio Research 350W solid state amp. Best amp on them, that  I tried, was a Threshold S/300. 

When I had the RM2's, I had a Cinenova Grande, like Brax's, driving them and it did a really good job. Give it good power and you'll easily tell the difference.

They were / are good speakers.
Scott