Loving Covenant Coffee Roasters

virtue

• Facilitator
  • Making audio lovers audiophiles
    • Virtue Audio
Loving Covenant Coffee Roasters
« on: 1 May 2013, 06:38 am »
This isn't exactly audio news but when an audiophile does something great, we must all celebrate it.

What James Takamatsu has created is great.  So great, that I'm making this sticky.

So that John does not ask me to remove the thread, let's post pictures and stories of audio + Covenant coffee experiences.

Aloha Everyone-

Hope everyone is enjoying a mild, seasonal spring this year. Most of Hawaii has been blessed with lots of both sunshine and rain, a departure from the previous years extreme drought conditions. Lots of sun and warm temperatures are great for tourism, but can be difficult on our ecosystem and agriculture, not the least of which affects our beloved coffee growers.

The extended drought conditions have affected parts of Maui, the Big Island of Hawaii, and Molokai. Molokai, especially, has been hit hard with this drought. To the point of a very small 2013 harvest, and no Molokai Peaberry for this season. We were able to acquire a large portion of Peaberry last season, and our customers have been well pleased with its bold, gutsy flavors. But we've run through all of our 2012 harvest and won't have any until (at least) another 12 months.

The good news is we will still have two Molokai coffees from which to choose. Our perrenial favorite Molokai Malulani- big and bold and rugged, and Molokai Muleskinner- gutsy like our Malulani, but due to extended fruit contact while drying, it's profile is enhanced with wild, berry-like overtones of fruit for added complexity. And instead of the premium price of the Peaberry, we will be able to offer the Muleskinner at the same price as our standard Malulani.

We're constantly trying to find new coffee experiences and flavors for you to try. The difficulty is many of the small, "boutique" Hawaiian growers have Napa Valley-like pricing structures. Meaning, the rarer they are, the more expensive they become. We will continue to stress quality and value. We're aware that many of our customers want the best we can find, and maybe we'll bring in an occasional $50-60 per pound, wild-grown, hand-picked exotic, but value will always be our priority.

Which brings us to our latest experiment and tastings. We've been running trails of blends the last few months, trying to find a really great coffee that we can enjoy everyday, and we think we've hit upon something pretty great:

Maui Mokka "Hapa" blend coffee- It's a blend of 100% Maui coffees. A proprietary blend of the complex, exquisite Maui Mokka, and our chocolately/nutty Yellow Cat. We roast the Yellow Cat to a true medium, but the Mokka is taken to a Full City roast to deepen its richness and flavors. The result is better than we could possibly imagine- Sweet, fruity aromas, smooth, rich flavors, silky smooth mouthfeel, and a sweet-spicy finish. The Yellow Cat's nuttiness is more subdued, and the coffee's depth and complexity enhanced. It doesn't taste particularly like either coffee- it really tastes like a completely different coffee. And here's our first special for April:

April Special #1- Maui Mokka "Hapa" blend, regularly $19.99/lb., special $16.99/lb. Or better yet, 4- 1 pound bags (or 1 big 4 pound bag), on special for $55.99 (No other discounts apply). That's just $14/lb.! Special runs all through April. Please email us and we'll send you a Paypal invoice.

April Special #2- Ka'u Estate coffee, regularly $34.99/lb., special $25.99/lb., or 4- 1 lb. bags for $99.99! (No other discounts apply) For those looking for a rich, aromatic, replacement for 100% Kona, our Ka'u Estate is like Kona turned up to "11".

As always, order from our website and receive:

$5 off any order over $50
$10 off any order over $100
$20 off any order over $200

If you have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate to email or call us.

Mahalo,

James and Karen Takamatsu
covenantcoffeeroasters.com

ZLS

Re: Loving Covenant Coffee Roasters
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2013, 03:37 pm »
    Awesome Coffee! 

The best way to describe how good it is, is to say that you don't need to use any sugar.  It tastes that good on it's own.

James is also a great guy to deal with, and very helpful and informative.

The highest recommendation possible.

classicjt2

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2013, 06:30 pm »

Ka'u Peaberry, roasted a click or two past medium- Wonderfully aromatic, complex, deep, rich flavors, supple texture, long finish. Freshly made malasadas (Portuguese-style doughnuts without the hole).

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2013, 01:26 am »
Excited for my next shipment!

http://www.covenantcoffeeroasters.com/
« Last Edit: 17 May 2013, 07:16 am by virtue »

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2013, 03:42 am »
Aloha Everyone-

Hope everyone is doing great and keeping safe. Just a few updates and some monthly specials:

Square Credit Card Reader- Yeah, we've finally moved to the 21st century, and can accept credit/debit cards for those that don't want to use PayPal or give their info to Ebay. This mostly benefits our local clientele, but also for those purchasing online. Did I ever mention that ka-jillionaire guy that owns Ebay used to come in to our little Covenant Cafe in Kaimuki? Darren Kato says he ordered double iced Lattes.

Specials-

Ka'u "Ali'i Hula Hands Estate"- As many of you know, one of our most difficult tasks is securing the absolute best Hawaiian coffees out there for our customers. Our efforts have, at times, been frustrating- I know we're just a tiny upstart coffee roaster, but it's hard to promote a certain Peaberry when you only receive 8 pounds of green beans. We're grateful for any exceptional coffee, of course, and last harvest's Molokai Peaberry was for us a gigantic coup, but this year Molokai produced zero Peaberry. It's certainly been a battle to get the best.

Ah, but here is some seriously good news. We've secured an inventory of perhaps the most celebrated Hawaiian coffee of recent years, the Ali'i Hawaiian Hula Hands Estate Ka'u coffee. Multiple Top Ten Specialty Coffee Association of America award winner, most recently SCAA Coffee of the Year 2012. We will small-batch roast this coffee as you order (same as we do all our coffees); this brings out the deepest, most balanced, richest flavor possible. Here's Ali'i's tasting notes:

"A sweet, clean taste with sparkling acidity, complex, bright fruit tones of citrus and hibiscus are balanced with deeper tones of honey, caramel and walnut and chocolate."

Ka'u "Ali'i Hula Hands Estate"- traditional wet-processed, 1 lb. bag, regularly $41.00, Special $35.99, or 3- 1 lb. bags for $99.99! (No additional discounts apply). Please order through this email for the special pricing.

Molokai Muleskinner- Last month I reported on the severe drought situation on the island of Molokai, and the attendant price increase for the very small upcoming 2013 crop. And, no Molokai Peaberry. Well, among all the bad news, here's some good news. Much like we did last year, we secured a significant inventory of the 2012 crop of Molokai's Muleskinner coffee. Muleskinner is processed in the same method as their glorious Peaberry- natural, dry processed, with extended fruit contact while drying. This imparts a distinct, fruity/earthy complexity to the deep, powerful chocolate/spice profile of Molokai, giving it greater balance and depth. But here's the best part, we're able to offer the Molokai Muleskinner and not merely at last harvest's prices, but this special:

Molokai Muleskinner- naturally processed, 1 lb. bag, regularly $22.99, Special $16.99, or better yet, 4 lbs. for $59.99! (No additional discounts apply). You must place your order this special through this email- regular orders through our website will be at regular pricing. Special good till June 30.

Maui Mokka "Hapa" blend coffee- We're simply ecstatic about the positive reception we've received from our new 100% Maui coffee blend. While it retains the smoothness of flavor and its silky mouthfeel of the Maui coffees, its flavor profile is totally unique, beautifully balanced between fruit/chocolate/spice, and delicately sweet on its long finish. We've fiddled with the blend, and came out with what we felt was the richest flavor- 26% Maui Mokka (roasted to Full City Roast) and 74% Maui Yellow Caturra (roasted to a true Medium). We think its an unprecedented value.

Maui Mokka "Hapa' blend, regularly $19.99/lb., special $16.99, or even better, 4-1 lb. bags for $59.99 (No additional discounts apply). Please call or email us if you want this special coffee
(covenantcoffeeroasters@yahoo.com), and we'll send you a PayPal invoice.

Website Specials:

$5 off orders over $50
$10 off orders over $100
$20 off orders over $200

As always, please call or email us if you have any questions or comments. Specials valid through June 30, 2013.

Mahalo,

Covenant Coffee Roasters Hawaii
Honolulu

ZLS

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jun 2013, 05:27 pm »
    Look, I'll keep talking about how good this coffee is as long as I keep drinking it.
    When you really want to compliment a piece of audio gear, you say it is so involving that you can not use it for background listening.
    This coffee is the same way; it is so good that you just end up stopping whatever else you were doing and enjoy sipping your coffee.
    And again, it tastes so fine you do not need any sugar.

ericlp151

« Reply #6 on: 28 Nov 2013, 06:10 am »
Not knocking anyone's coffee and matter of fact I think it's great you like hawaii coffee and while your at it... You might want to check the the #1 Award Winning coffee for the "ENTIRE STATE"...

http://bigislandcoffeeroasters.com/first-place-hawaiian-coffee/

I haven't tried this yet... so... But will soon.  I pass the farm every once and while I just haven't had to time to visit.

But I still like Sharkeys Coffee on east side of the big island.  Maybe when I try bigislandroasters I'll switch who knows to a my favorite moving sharkeys down to #2.  We'll see.

Anyway...... Enjoy Hawaiian Coffee. It's nothing but the best. 

These awards are really hard to come by.   Winning first place is not walk in 'da' park.

Geardaddy

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2013, 09:09 pm »
oustanding... 8)

I am a coffee freak who has taken up home roasting....

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #8 on: 29 Nov 2013, 04:51 pm »
Great stocking stuffers!

Aloha Everyone-

Here's just a quick update on our Hawaiian coffee selections. We've removed our Maui Yellow Cat from our offerings, and will only have a very limited amount of our popular Maui Mokka Hapa blend available until next year. Maui is just totally sold out of Yellow Caturra, and we only have a small inventory of Mokka for now. The good news, and it's great news- we managed to attain a new Maui Peaberry offering for all you Peaberry lovers, and also a more affordable 100% Ka'u coffee. Here are the additional specials for October, and these are also good through Oct. 31st:

Maui Peaberry- The coffee varietal is "Typica", which is the same varietal as the vast majority of Kona coffee planted on the Big Island. Incredibly aromatic, hints of dark chocolate, red and purple fruit, and nutmeg, sleek medium body, rich and so silky smooth, with that peaberry touch of sweetness on the long finish.

Maui Peaberry, regularly $26.99/lb., special $22.99/lb., or better yet $79.99 for 4- 1 lb. bags! Really- a beautiful 100% Hawaiian Peaberry for 20 bucks a pound! (Not combinable with any other offers). Email us to order this special, it won't show up on our website.

100% Ka'u Prime- Our Ka'u "Hawaiian Hula Hands" and "Wood Valley" estate coffees are world beaters, among the handful of greatest coffees. But at $41 retail (others sell it for up to $70 per pound), it stretches the budget of normal coffee lovers. But the farmers' co-operative in Ka'u offered us a great opportunity. A smaller bean size, slightly less rigorous selection, and a blending of multiple parcels (a good thing, to our thinking), allows us to offer this classically styled, rich and luxurious 100% Ka'u coffee at a huge savings. Room- filling aromas of warm spices and flowers, medium to full body that's deep and complex, and a long finish. Like our other Ka'u selections, tastes like an excellent Kona, turned up "to "11"",  but at a stunning value. This 100% Ka'u is great for gifts, friends, and family get-togethers. This is a special purchase- we ordered a significant portion of Ka'u's inventory for our customers, hoping that it will last us through most of this holiday season. And its specially priced, so that you may joyfully share it with others.

100% Ka'u Prime coffee, regularly $29.99/lb., special 22.99/lb., or $59.99 for 3- 1 lb. bags! Email us to order this amazing special. Limited quantities. (Not combinable with other discounts)

And the rest of our October Specials, from our last newsletter:

Ka'u "Hawaiian Hula Hands"- This is a monumental coffee, quite possibly the most spectacular Hawaiian coffee I've ever tasted. Brimming with deep coffee and dark fruit aromas, scents of gardenia and ginger blossoms, deep, rich, full body, a velvety, silky, almost tactile mouthfeel, and a long finish that is overlaid with sweet brown sugar. Layers of complexity, yet completely integrated and harmonious.

Ka'u "Hawaiian Hula Hands", reg. $41.00/lb., special $35.99/lb., or better yet, $99.99 for 3- 1 lb. bags. Please email us for this special (Not combinable with other discounts)

Maui Mokka Peaberry- This is the "Cabernet" of the Hawaiian coffees- incredibly complex aromas with scents of chocolate and red winey qualities, medium body, silky smooth mouthfeel, and a long sweet finish. Fantastic as a medium roast, but surprisingly complex and balanced as a darker roast.

Maui Mokka Peaberry, reg. $32.99/lb., special $24.99/lb., or $69.99 for 3- 1 lb. bags. Please email us for this special; it won't be offered on our website (Not combinable with other discounts)

Molokai Muleskinner Natural- This was one of our most popular coffees at our cafe in Honolulu. With its big, brawny structure, medium- full body, overtones of spice and cocoa and dried fruit, it seemed an antithesis of the mild, smooth Hawaiian style. We sold it at the cafe for $20/lb., so this special is really special.

Molokai Muleskinner Natural, reg. $22.99/lb., special $16.99/lb., or 4- 1 lb. bags for just $49.99! Limited Quantities. (Not combinable with other discounts)

Don't forget- Free 2014 Hawaiian picture calendar with a purchase of 3 bags or more. And if you want smaller bags for gifts, you can split each pound bag into 2- 8oz. bags for just a $2 bag fee. Or opt for our mega-sized bag that easily holds 5 lbs. of coffee beans. It makes quite an impression to a coffee lover! Just let us know when you order.

Also, for those who prefer not to use PayPal for payments, we accept credit cards or checks directly with our Square Reader. Just email us with your order and your phone number (please don't email us your cc number); we'll call you by phone to process your payment.

All orders ship by USPS Priority Mail. One bag costs $5.60, a medium box that holds up to 5 bags is $12.35, and a large box that holds up to 8 bags is $16.85 to anywhere in the U.S.

Please drop us a line if you have any questions or comments. We love to hear from coffee fans!

Mahalo,

email: covenantcoffeeroasters@yahoo.com

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2014, 03:33 am »
IT'S THAT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   THIS IS AMAZING STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Subject: Pre-Order- Kona Peaberry- our first in 4 Years!
To: Seth Krinsky <seth@virtueaudio.com>

Aloha Everyone-

Just sending a few of you a quick advanced note. We managed to come across a supply of 100% certified KONA PEABERRY-which we haven't had for over 4 years. This coffee is from the 2012 vintage, from a very famous family Kona farm. We secured 200 pounds for now; should be arriving to our roasting office in the next 7-10 days. List price for this rarity will be $41.00/pound bag, but discounts for bulk orders. How about this:

1- 1 pound bag, $29.99.
5- 1 pound bags, $27.50/lb.
20- 1 pound bags, $25.00/lb.

As usual, we can custom roast for you any order 3 lbs. or larger- medium, full city, medium-dark, whatever you desire (Sorry, but no extra dark, no bitter coffees from us!).

This special will show up in our next newsletter; this is just an advanced pre-order for the select few of you. Please drop me a line if you have any questions.

Mahalo,

JamesTakamatsu
Covenant Coffee Roasters
Honolulu

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2014, 09:22 pm »
I just sent my pre-order to James' paypal: covenantcoffeeroasters@yahoo.com

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2014, 11:18 pm »
Isn't this website for audio advertising only? What's with the coffee ads?

Can't you just see our industry circles selling space to Verizon and BP and Toyota?

Just doesn't seem appropriate, especially when you have a religious sounding name for the company.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2014, 11:49 pm »
James hand crafts artisanal coffee.  It is as sublime as the audio equipment we savor.

He's a customer, a friend, part of the community.  He supports his church and fears God.

Please join me in supporting his noble and delicious adventure.

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #13 on: 3 Jul 2014, 06:15 am »
Got some from the new batch.  Magical!  Thank you, James!

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #14 on: 15 Mar 2015, 05:40 am »
Just bought some Naturals after this PM from another member here.

I'm sure James sends you the same product info's that he sends me but I just thought I'd pass along my insights into what I think is the best smoothest coffee I've ever gotten from James, Molokai Natural. I've got 5 pounds of this bean, just to stock up as supply is limited according to James. And just out of curiosity, I've also got a pound of his Molokai Estate in the mail, just to try out.

We are a community of artisans and this is one non-audio product I will talk about sparingly if you will please indulge me.

sfox7076

« Reply #15 on: 16 Mar 2015, 02:49 pm »
Will email and order some today.  Sounds interesting, but I probably want to get a sampler before I commit to 4-5 pounds of a type.

ZLS

« Reply #16 on: 16 Mar 2015, 03:31 pm »
Just bought some Naturals after this PM from another member here.

I'm sure James sends you the same product info's that he sends me but I just thought I'd pass along my insights into what I think is the best smoothest coffee I've ever gotten from James, Molokai Natural. I've got 5 pounds of this bean, just to stock up as supply is limited according to James. And just out of curiosity, I've also got a pound of his Molokai Estate in the mail, just to try out.

We are a community of artisans and this is one non-audio product I will talk about sparingly if you will please indulge me.

As I prepare to drink my cup of Covenant Coffee every day, enjoying what is quite possibly the best cup of Coffee

I ever had; I always say to myself, "It's a tough job, but someone has to do it>"

virtue

• Facilitator
    • Virtue Audio
« Reply #17 on: 1 Oct 2015, 11:48 pm »
Aloha Everyone-

These will probably be our last roasts for our Covenant Coffee Roasters, as we're planning on selling our roasting equipment and closing up shop. The economic pressures were just too much for us, and the difficulty in finding great yet affordable Hawaiian grown coffees have become overwhelming. Thank you for your exceptionally loyal support and well wishes. It has been great fun and rewarding serving our customers.

These are our final remaining coffee specials:

Maui Mokka Peaberry- World class coffee, Coffee Review's Top Ten Coffee of the Year 2012, and 2014/15 was Maui's best ever. Reg. $34.99/lb., sale $22.50.

Molokai Naturals, pulped coffee. Big, brawny, and robust. Overtones of dried fruit and warm spices, chocolate, cigar box. Reg. $34.99/lb., sale $19.99/lb.

Maui Typica "Lahaina Noon"- grown from the seed type of the majority of  Kona coffee. Profile is classic "Kona"- room filling aromas, hint of floral overtones, tangy acidity, smooth, rich body, long finish. Reg. $29.99/lb., sale $16.99.

All tems ship USPS- add $5.60 for 1 bag, $6.10 for 2 bags, $12.65 for up to 6 bags.

All coffees while supplies last. We're sending this email to just a select few customers as our inventory is very low. If there is any remaining coffee, we'll open the sale to a few more on our list next week.

Mahalo Nui Loa,

Covenant Coffee Roasters Hawaii