This guy says 192Khz is a waste!

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html#toc_su

What do you think?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: 24/192 Makes No Sense - So This Article Says
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:43 pm »
He's not the only one that says that.  I can't remember exactly who it is but one of the pro sound dac makers (very well known) says the same.

Listen yourself and let us know what YOU think.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:47 pm »
Yes, we've discussed this quite a bit.  Listen for yourself.  Me?  i obviously think it makes a difference or I wouldn't spend so much energy putting this Circle together.  24/192 makes a difference; DSD makes a difference.  Listen to some native recordings (Barry Diament, Pentatone SACD rips, etc).

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:17 pm »
After pages of him baffling you with BS, his argument all comes down to abx with an untrained group of listeners. In other words, they don't know what to listen for and can't appreciate the differences. It would be like taking a group of bozos off the street and have them abx wines, good and cheap wines. Most of them wouldn't know what comprises a good wine and how to appreciate the differences. Refined tastes are developed.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:25 pm »
Ted_b  -- I was not aware that this had already been linked to here.  Sorry about the redundancy. 

FredGarvin  -- Funny you should mention refined taste and wine.  I just saw a special on TV in which they took a box wine and put it in an expensive looking bottle and the same wine from the box. Guess which one the people chose? It was all unanimous that the expensive bottle was "noticeably better". 

I am not making a judgement here at all - just stating something that I saw.

Cheers,

James

fredgarvin

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2012, 03:32 pm »
My statement is not intended to say that confirmation bias isn't real. But that's another subject than abx with untrained people.

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2012, 05:56 pm »
Hi cloudbaseracer,

This guy says 192Khz is a waste!

What do you think?

If the first recording medium in my experience that, when well executed, provides results I have not been able to distinguish from the direct mic feed at my recording sessions "makes no sense" or "is a waste", what can I say?

I think exactly the same thing I'd think if someone told me there are no colors in a rainbow.

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2012, 06:59 pm »
I know I'm preaching to the choir here but...

I think this kind of bias is inherent to high end audio in general, not just the topic at hand.  Many of my audio buddies have built air-tight logical cases as to why they (choose any of the following):

• only listen to vinyl
  • only listen to 16 bit audio on NOS DACs
  • only listen to Hi-rez audio on hi-rez DACs
  • only listen to solid state gear
  • only listen to tube gear

and on and on and on...

Unless you have a lot of free time and cash you can't explore every avenue of expression in this hobby, so I can understand folks settling into a path that fits their preferences.  But there's a lot of cool high end stuff out there that's different from what you're doing.  Check it out for yourself by seeking out someone who is doing it really well.  Listen to their perspective and listen to their system.  You may not choose to follow that path, but you've made a friend and broadened your audio horizon.

FWIW

Russ

Rclark

« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2012, 07:37 pm »
My statement is not intended to say that confirmation bias isn't real. But that's another subject than abx with untrained people.

If I need training to tell a difference, I'll pass.

fredgarvin

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:44 pm »

If I need training to tell a difference, I'll pass.

It would be weird if you understood what you were listening to, wouldn't it? I agree, it might be too hard for you.

Rclark

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2012, 01:27 am »
When my system reaches that point to where I may or may not get an improvement by switching to hirez, I will then find a new fun thing to spend money on.

However, if we ever reach a conclusive, undeniable consensus that this certain format is without a shadow of a doubt better, I'll do it. There is as of yet no consensus, and my cd player gets to stay. I might pull out my record player and try that, but otherwise I just see a money pit with hirez.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jul 2012, 01:34 am »
When my system reaches that point to where I may or may not get an improvement by switching to hirez, I will then find a new fun thing to spend money on.
Remember though, it should be about the music not the quality of it.

I just see a money pit with hirez.
It can be expensive but if you listen to some of the Blue Coast stuff you might be surprised.  Not only very well recorded but the music is actually great. 

http://bluecoastrecords.com/store/various-artists/blue-coast-collection

I find getting music that is enjoyable is harder to find that is well recorded at the Hi Rez level.  Cookie has done a superb job with both IMO.  I could list more but will not.   :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:26 am »

Hmm, thanks JT. If you're doing it that lends a lot of cred to the subject.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:29 am »

Hmm, thanks JT. If you're doing it that lends a lot of cred to the subject.
I don't think so.  Just listen for yourself...download some free tracks that ted_b has kindly listed on another thread and see what YOU think.  Like anything, done properly, they're hard to beat. 

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:39 am »

Can I just listen to them on my laptop now, with headphones? I don't have an external soundcard or DAC atm, just cdp.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:40 am »

Can I just listen to them on my laptop now, with headphones? I don't have an external soundcard or DAC atm, just cdp.
No. 

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2012, 02:42 am »

Ok, Sept then, unless Emotiva is lying, again.

Crimson

Andre2

« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2012, 03:32 am »
Yesterday, I connected my laptop to my Easter Electric Minimax Dac, great sound from iTunes library.

Today, I just downloaded Jriver, and the samples from HDtracks.  Right now I am listening to my first hirez music, this one:

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov: The Snow Maiden - Dance of the Tumblers
from Exotic Dances from the Opera
Courtesy of Reference Recordings
Eiji Oue and the Minnesota Orchestra

This is what I have to say WOW !!!
 :banana piano: :violin: :beer: :drums: :guitar: :rock: :thankyou: :hyper:

Rclark

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2012, 04:24 am »
 What it's going to take to convince me: a high rez file of the same well recorded song against my not-a-slouch cdp. Not just hirez music by itself.

I should be able to click back and forth on the dac or preamp and be wowed by the supposed increased fidelity.