Track List from Jim's Demo CD

taoggniklat

Re: Track List from Jim's Demo CD
« Reply #60 on: 2 Mar 2010, 06:00 pm »
Any luck on a poll? :)

I guess I am the odd man out, as I am not a Salk owner (yet). But I still love good music :)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #61 on: 2 Mar 2010, 07:49 pm »

Interesting & good concept. I don't have a problem burning any selected cuts to CD-R & sending it off to whom-ever, or emailing a wav file(s).    Seems I've got flac on one of my machines, but haven't used it as yet. I've thought of making my own demo since the STs took up residence.

I think BRM's thoughts on starting with what basic categories (buckets) selections should be from is a plan. I'd love to have it open to suggestions if that could be worked out, but logistically it could be a nightmare. Keep the ideas flowing, where there's a will, there's a way.  8)

revrob

« Reply #62 on: 10 Apr 2010, 11:32 pm »
I won't mind being on the committee and suggesting a song or two.

Thanks,
Steve

sfox7076

« Reply #63 on: 21 May 2010, 01:59 pm »
I would do the same. 

floresjc

« Reply #64 on: 22 Jun 2010, 09:43 pm »
I'm new to this, but if I was going to do something like this, here's how I'd do it.

1. Select a committee, fairly small, maybe 5 people tops.
2. Committee outlines genre's/buckets.
3. Anyone from the Salk Owner's community can suggest songs to the committee until a certain date.

The purpose of the committee is to select a top 17 or whatever will fit on a single disc, with attention given to diversity of genres. Committee is going to have to be kind of "clever" about this bucket thing, since not everyone labels everything the same and you don't need 17 buckets for one disc. Or if Jim wants 2 discs or whatever he thinks would work at shows and what not. Typically, I find one disc restricting, so I usually have like a "fun" song disc with pop and rock and etc, and a more "artsy" disc that has things like jazz opera classical. But one disc is more easily managed and sent to customers and what not so I'm thinking he'd probably lean that route.

At least when I demo my speakers, I don't pay real close attention to things with superb sound quality or high rez. I want tracks that sound good and show off the capabilities, sure, but I find that people remain more engaged if I show them how good things they normally listen to sound. And so I generally end up playing the old vs new game with each genre, balancing technical superiority with fun. So for Jazz I might pick Birdland by Weather Report and Giant Steps by Coltrane (or Miles Davis Kind of Blue). For rock/pop I might pick "The Stone" by Dave Matthews Band and Tiny Dancer by Elton John. And so on, its pretty easy to cover 4-5 genres and fill up 17-20 slots.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #65 on: 22 Jun 2010, 11:36 pm »
I'm piecing together my 10th best of disc now - HEMI 10 - should be done in July.  Always difficult to just pick best recordings over fun tunes that sound "processed."

cacophony777

« Reply #66 on: 6 Aug 2010, 03:27 am »
Anyone know if the "Jennifer Warnes / Somewhere, Somebody [The Hunter]" track came from the 1992 release or the 2009 release?

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Jennifer-Warnes/dp/B0000000KI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281064759&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Jennifer-Warnes/dp/B001OP4L5U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281064759&sr=8-3

Obviously I'd prefer to get the much cheaper 1992 release, but not if the 2009 release has been newly mastered and is much better.

jsalk

« Reply #67 on: 9 Aug 2010, 11:22 am »
Anyone know if the "Jennifer Warnes / Somewhere, Somebody [The Hunter]" track came from the 1992 release or the 2009 release?

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Jennifer-Warnes/dp/B0000000KI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281064759&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Jennifer-Warnes/dp/B001OP4L5U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281064759&sr=8-3

Obviously I'd prefer to get the much cheaper 1992 release, but not if the 2009 release has been newly mastered and is much better.

Must have been from the earlier release since I had it before 2009.  That said, the Blue Raincoat CD was re-mastered and it is much better.  So the 2009 version may be better.  I think the Hunter was a European CD.

- Jim
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2010, 03:06 pm by jsalk »

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #68 on: 9 Aug 2010, 11:51 am »
Lee Ritenour-"Smoke'N'Mirrors"...just thought I'd lobby for Lee...hehehe.. :thumb: :thumb:

billmcc

« Reply #69 on: 9 Aug 2010, 02:13 pm »
I am currently listening to Jim's demo CD. Excellent selection of tracks showcasing the ability of my STs :). I will be buying the Jennifer Warnes, Ray Charles and Nils Lofgren (big fan) CDs. Is there a more up to date track list available as my disc seems different than the most recent updated track list. If any other thoughts on track selections are needed I would be happy to suggest some :).

Bill

cacophony777

« Reply #70 on: 9 Aug 2010, 04:49 pm »
I am currently listening to Jim's demo CD. Excellent selection of tracks showcasing the ability of my STs :). I will be buying the Jennifer Warnes, Ray Charles and Nils Lofgren (big fan) CDs. Is there a more up to date track list available as my disc seems different than the most recent updated track list. If any other thoughts on track selections are needed I would be happy to suggest some :).

Bill

As far as I know this list is up to date (then again, my CD is from a few months ago  :wink: )

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=27439.msg610060#msg610060

It's interesting that everyone seems to really like the same tracks. These are my favorite (in bold):

Track 1: Jennifer Warnes / Somewhere, Somebody [The Hunter]
Track 2: Ray Montange / You Can Bring Me Flowers [Till the Sun Turns Black]
Track 3: Mary Fahl / Una Furtiva Lagrima [The Other Side of Time]
Track 4: Ray Charles / Here We Go Again (Featuring Norah Jones) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 5: Nils Loftgren / Keith Don’t Go [Acoustic Live]
Track 6: Lyle Lovett / She Already Made Up Her Mind [Joshua Judges Ruth]
Track 7: Ray Charles / Fever (Featuring Natalie Cole) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 8: Jennifer Warnes / I Can't Hide [The Hunter]
Track 9: George Winston / The Auction [Country: The Original Soundtrack]
Track 10: Ray Charles / Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word (Featuring Elton John) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 11: Santana / Migra [Supernatural]
Track 12: Ray Charles / Do I Ever Cross Your Mind (Featuring Bonnie Raitt) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 13: Mario Frangoulis / Vincero, Ferdero [Sometimes I Dream]
Track 14: Jennifer Warnes / Lights of Louisianne [The Hunter]
Track 15: Doc Powell / Thank You [97th and Columbus]
Track 16: Dean Peer / Lord's Tundra [UCross]
Track 17: Blue Man Group / I Feel Love (Featuring Venus Hum) [The Complex]

As a result I've bought the Ray Montange, Nils Loftgren, and Ray Charles albums. With the Nils Loftgren and Ray Charles, I didn't find most of the other tracks on the albums as interesting, but with the Ray Montange album, whoa, the entire album is excellent!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #71 on: 10 Aug 2010, 01:59 pm »
Hi,

Sorry I have not checked this thread  in a long time...

I would be glad to select demo songs etc. for  a demo cd.

Not a problem, let me know what, when where and how.

Alex
 :D

Airfla

« Reply #72 on: 5 Oct 2010, 07:01 pm »

As a result I've bought the Ray Montange, Nils Loftgren, and Ray Charles albums. With the Nils Loftgren and Ray Charles, I didn't find most of the other tracks on the albums as interesting, but with the Ray Montange album, whoa, the entire album is excellent!

Just in case anyone uses your post to look up albums, it's Ray Lamontagne, not Montange, and Nils Lofgren, not Loftgren. :-)

Airfla

« Reply #73 on: 5 Oct 2010, 07:12 pm »
Must have been from the earlier release since I had it before 2009.  That said, the Blue Raincoat CD was re-mastered and it is much better.  So the 2009 version may be better.  I think the Hunter was a European CD.

- Jim

Jim:

FYI, the new release of The Hunter was remastered by Cisco on a 24K gold CD (same as the Famous Blue Raincoat CD you refer to). The Absolute Sound recommended and rated it as a "Best Audiophile Label Recording" in its November, 2009 issue.

elee532

« Reply #74 on: 24 Oct 2010, 01:23 pm »
It's interesting that everyone seems to really like the same tracks. These are my favorite (in bold):

Track 1: Jennifer Warnes / Somewhere, Somebody [The Hunter]
Track 3: Mary Fahl / Una Furtiva Lagrima [The Other Side of Time]
Track 4: Ray Charles / Here We Go Again (Featuring Norah Jones) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 6: through 12/31/11/ She Already Made Up Her Mind [Joshua Judges Ruth]
Track 7: Ray Charles / Fever (Featuring Natalie Cole) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 8: Jennifer Warnes / I Can't Hide [The Hunter]
Track 9: George Winston / The Auction [Country: The Original Soundtrack]
Track 10: Ray Charles / Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word (Featuring Elton John) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 11: Santana / Migra [Supernatural]
Track 12: Ray Charles / Do I Ever Cross Your Mind (Featuring Bonnie Raitt) [Genius Loves Company]
Track 13: Mario Frangoulis / Vincero, Ferdero [Sometimes I Dream]
Track 14: Jennifer Warnes / Lights of Louisianne [The Hunter]
Track 15: Doc Powell / Thank You [97th and Columbus]
Track 16: Dean Peer / Lord's Tundra [UCross]
Track 17: Blue Man Group / I Feel Love (Featuring Venus Hum) [The Complex]

My only change to your list would be minus the Ray Charles track and plus the Santana and Dean Peer tracks. I ended up buying LaMontage, Warnes, Santana (dvd-a), Lofgren (i loved nearly everytrack). I think some artists may owe Jim a commission. :-)

rlee8394

« Reply #75 on: 28 Aug 2011, 03:43 am »
So five minutes ago I was listening to the Lyle Lovett track, She Already Made Up Her Mind. I wasn't playing it loud mind you, when my wife came in the room and asked "What is that loud rumble shaking the whole house?" I really like that cut and my Salk SongTower Custom Editions really flesh out the bass. I really see no need for a subwoofer! I'm really loving these speakers.

Ron

Longandstraight

« Reply #76 on: 8 Feb 2012, 12:39 am »
I just purchased a previously owned pair of Song Towers. Jim provided me with documentation and adoption papers :lol:
The demo cd included the Beatles "Because" from the "Love" cd, A couple of Ray Charles, Ray Lamontagne ( ordered a few of his cd's). Nils Lofgren song is cool. Not sure on many of the others.
Nice demo disk to show off the Salks.
Thanks again Jim!!

screener

« Reply #77 on: 11 Apr 2012, 07:07 am »
I've personally played Jims cd a hundred times and it continually reminds me how great his speakers are.
Great disc.

squirrel_nut

« Reply #78 on: 4 May 2012, 10:21 am »
whatever happened to the Salk Owner's demo disk? i wanted to see favorite songs from folks who listen through Jim's speakers.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #79 on: 21 Jul 2012, 12:06 am »
Ok,

I have a cd lying around with Salk Demo 2 on it. Track 13, who is the female singer, keeps singing "you take that dusty turn around dusty yellow brick road"..

Help!
Alex
 :D