NEW MOD POTENTIAL: COCKTAIL AUDIO X40?

dminches

Re: NEW MOD POTENTIAL: COCKTAIL AUDIO X40?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Aug 2016, 08:13 pm »
That's a lot of money to spend for what I view as a convenience factor. Just sayin'

It is well more than convenience if you listen to a lot of hi res files.  If you just listen to redbook, I agree.

modwright

« Reply #21 on: 19 Aug 2016, 08:18 pm »
What about this?

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdt-101CI/blu-ray-BDT-101CI-Images.aspx

We could potentially offer Transport mods, player mods, ranging from strictly transport use to full standalone use, tube or SS mods.

It is about $300 and uses an AKM DAC, which I happen to actually like.  I believe it is fully DSD cable and has USB inputs.

Any thoughts about this?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 19 Aug 2016, 08:22 pm »
Oppo will supposedly have new 4K models by the end of this year. So I'm not sure it will be around more than a few months.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #23 on: 19 Aug 2016, 08:29 pm »
That is anything 4K right now though... There will be new models rolling out regularly for quite awhile until 8K comes out or whatever the next marketing craze is.

But I do like your ideas with this one Dan, and the price is right for sure.  Would always prefer silver, but that is a tough one these days.

Syrah

« Reply #24 on: 19 Aug 2016, 09:09 pm »
My preference would be for Modwright mods to a reasonably priced DAC that can be switched up with next gen chips and a tube output.  Something that ends up in the $1500 to $2500 neighborhood would be on my wish list.

*Scotty*

« Reply #26 on: 19 Aug 2016, 09:35 pm »
I resisted transitioning to computer playback of ripped CDs in the form of flac and WAV files for several years. At the time I made the switch to computer, the combination of computer feeding an external DAC easily smoked my heavily modified Cambridge 740C spinning the silver disc, it actually wasn't even close. I now have a rather expensive obsolete door stop. If it were not for its ability to lock to the very jittery Toslink feed from my TV I wouldn't have any job it was suited for at all.
Scotty

Phil A

« Reply #27 on: 19 Aug 2016, 10:18 pm »
Since I went to file playback almost 5 years back, I am not a fan of expensive transports or CD players. I understand for those not interested in file playback it is different. I've owned expensive players and they are not in the league of what I have now.

jseymour

« Reply #28 on: 19 Aug 2016, 10:27 pm »
I made the jump from CDs to a PC based system in 2007 when I built a C.A.S.H. 2.0 PC with an audio card with SPDIF out.  It was an immediate improvement.  I don't want to handle CDs other than ripping them once.   

modwright

« Reply #29 on: 19 Aug 2016, 10:29 pm »
Are there other DACs that are popular, current and fit the bill for mods?

Thanks,

Dan

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #30 on: 19 Aug 2016, 10:44 pm »
II don't want to handle CDs other than ripping them once.

This is what seems to me (unless I've missed something in searching) a missing feature on the transports out there today that I've looked at. 

In my home, having a reasonably priced disc player for occasional use would be nice. 

Having one that could also play the occasional DVD or blu-ray would also be nice. 

Having a bullet proof, high quality, functionally exceptional drive mechanism that could be used for the above, but is primarily a media transport to be connected to OUTPUT data to a computer or music server/streamer/whatever they want to call them this week, used for ripping audio and video discs that is more robust and built for the task than the average disposable computer external drive would be a win for me. 

The disc players I see around (like the CI Oppo Dan linked to) often now have USB (or network) inputs to use the onboard functions of the player also as a streamer, but I have yet to see one that also has a well implemented USB output to use the transport as a source device to send data the other way.

Phil A

« Reply #31 on: 19 Aug 2016, 11:44 pm »

Thanks,

Dan

There's a long thread on AC about the Gustard X20

audio.bill

« Reply #32 on: 20 Aug 2016, 12:10 am »

Thanks,

Dan
Dan - I'd suggest waiting a bit for newer models to become available using the latest ES9038PRO DACs, which is expected to be a significant improvement over the more common 9018. With that DAC and your experience in mods I believe you'd have the potential for a world class product.

Rocket

« Reply #33 on: 20 Aug 2016, 12:36 am »
Hi Dan,

I'd be interested if you offered modifications to the Gustard X20.  I'm currently using a Bryston BDP-1 and the gustard with your modifications would great.  I still have my trusty old Perpetual Technologies p3a dac you modified years ago for me.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=140663.0

Cheers Rod

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 21 Aug 2016, 05:00 pm »
Guys, I don't want a CD Transport because I think it will be better than file playback or because I refuse to use computers in my system. I have a file playback system from hell and it is truly amazing sounding. So it's not about what is superior.

I want a good CD Transport that won't sound absolutely broken for when people come over with CD's or I just want to spin a disc. That's all.

I suppose the Cambridge or the Woo may be good enough for this, but if I can get close to world class sound from a CD for a good price, I am all about it.

talk2me

« Reply #35 on: 21 Aug 2016, 05:41 pm »
The difference between this and the HAP-Z1ES is the slot drive and removable HD.

Is there really that much interest still in a good CD only transport? Anyone?

Thanks,

Dan

Yes, thank-you very much. Need a excellent transport for my Elyse DAC. I like the versatility of the Oppo 103 and not a fan of computer audio, even though I have used my MacBook Pro's USB and itunes with Audivarna+  :thumb: :beer:

Syrah

« Reply #36 on: 21 Aug 2016, 08:27 pm »
Paul,

My Modwright Platinum Truth Sony 9100es has been in my closet for a while.  It's still a great sounding player.  I could sell it to you for a good price if you want to PM me.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #37 on: 21 Aug 2016, 08:47 pm »
How about the MQA ready Mytec DAC?  MQA and the Truth.

Phil A

« Reply #38 on: 22 Aug 2016, 02:40 am »
For CD playback, Marantz just announced a $600 compact unit - http://www.avsforum.com/marantz-announces-hd-cd1-premium-compact-cd-player/
Perhaps would be a good candidate for a mod with an outboard power supply, given its compact chassis.