NEW MOD POTENTIAL: COCKTAIL AUDIO X40?

modwright

NEW MOD POTENTIAL: COCKTAIL AUDIO X40?
« on: 18 Aug 2016, 06:01 pm »
I am actively looking for a new product to mod.  The Cocktail model X40 has come to my attention and I am wondering if anyone has experience with it.  If so, what is the interest level?

If not this product, is there another that you would like to see a mod for?

Thanks,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2016, 08:00 pm by modwright »

Syrah

Re: NEW MOD POTENTIAL: COCKTAIL AUDIO X40?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2016, 08:45 pm »
I'm tempted to wait for value implementations of the next gen ESS 9038, 9028 and 9026 pro chips.

This article seems to suggest that the latter two are pin compatible with the 9018 used by the Cocktail.

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/01/ess-technology-sabre-pro-series-of-dac.html

I suppose that could be mod #1 if that's the case.

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2016, 09:07 pm »
OK, thanks.  I am listening and I will be looking for this new release.

I am certain that upgrading the chip is something that we could do.

Thanks,

Dan

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2016, 10:20 pm »
Hey Dan,

This might be interesting to me if it supported Roon and had really good sonics. I really like the SSD local storage.

Todd

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2016, 10:49 pm »
Can't imagine this would be allot better than the HAP-Z1ES? Nor allot different?

How about a Modded CD Transport that slays all for a sane price? I would love this!

modwright

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2016, 11:54 pm »
The difference between this and the HAP-Z1ES is the slot drive and removable HD.

Is there really that much interest still in a good CD only transport? Anyone?

Thanks,

Dan

toddc2

• That dog sure loves beer
« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2016, 12:08 am »

I have a vivid memory of my first transitor course at Georgia Tech: the professor held up a vacuum tube, told us what it was, and said we would never see one again. We all laughed and were quickly convinced how superior the transistor was. And now 30 some years later I lust after tubes.

I had a similar thought about your question on the transport. Why would anyone want to spin a disc? I don't, but who knows what will happen with the technology?

Todd

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2016, 12:14 am »
The difference between this and the HAP-Z1ES is the slot drive and removable HD.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan, I'd imagine if there was a USB input that could handle files from a thumb drive (e.g 176.4kHz) and output to a DAC it may have a drop wider appeal. It would allow those who want primarily to use physical media to buy music from HDTracks or Pono without getting deep into computer audio.

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2016, 12:17 am »
I don't play discs unless I have people over for a Space Coast Audio Society meeting. I just helped a fellow Audio Society member get files on a hard drive with a Modwright Oppo BDP-95 and use the Oppo Media Control App.

rodge827

« Reply #9 on: 19 Aug 2016, 12:59 am »

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

I have been intrigued with the Cocktail Audio products and have been waiting on feedback from end users. The X40 looks like a good contender for the reasons you mentioned. Until then I will spin discs on my modded 47 Labs Flatfish Transport and keep it simple.

Chris

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 19 Aug 2016, 01:59 pm »
I am listening, thank you.  There are a couple of basic CD players at low cost from Tascam that offer the functionality that you are all asking for.  I purchased one a while back to audition as a player and it was OK at best.  However, I  know what its limitations are and these could be addressed.

Thanks,

Dan

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 19 Aug 2016, 02:14 pm »
I have a full fledged music network, and I do quite like it, but sometimes I just want to spin a disc.

dpatters

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2016, 02:29 pm »
I spin discs almost 100% of the time.  Currently using Woo Audio WTP-1 dedicated transport. Not many options out there.

Don P.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2016, 03:35 pm »
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx/cxc

This might be the only mainstream dedicated CD Transport available... 

dpatters

« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2016, 03:43 pm »
http://wooaudio.com/products/wtp1.html

Here is a link to the Woo Audio transport I am using. What we need is something to slay the mighty (and $$$) CEC  transports

modwright

« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2016, 03:51 pm »
Very tough to compete with Chinese made transports.  Looks like a Philips CD Pro mechanism.

I would be willing to look into modifying a good candidate if there is sufficient interest.

Thanks,

Dan

Early B.

« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2016, 06:53 pm »
I spin discs almost 100% of the time. 

Yeah, me, too. I use a modded PS Audio Perfectwave Transport with no plans to go "digital" anytime soon.   

dpatters

« Reply #17 on: 19 Aug 2016, 07:13 pm »
Yeah, me, too. I use a modded PS Audio Perfectwave Transport with no plans to go "digital" anytime soon.   

I've been in IT for over 30 years.  The last thing I want to deal with in my stereo system is a computer.

dminches

« Reply #18 on: 19 Aug 2016, 07:20 pm »
I've been in IT for over 30 years.  The last thing I want to deal with in my stereo system is a computer.

There are many non-computer options for diskless playback, like an Aurender box.

dpatters

« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2016, 07:25 pm »
There are many non-computer options for diskless playback, like an Aurender box.

That's a lot of money to spend for what I view as a convenience factor. Just sayin'