Pangea power cable

ken

Pangea power cable
« on: 10 Feb 2010, 04:31 pm »
I've always heard that a good power cable could really make a difference with a decent set up but couldn't really justify spending hundreds of $ for financial reasons and in all honesty it was never really an upgrade I gave much though to. Then last week  I happened to be thumbing through the audio adivsor catalog and the Pangea AC-9 power cord caught my eye, It's a very thick cord - 9AWG and was on sale for approx $45.00 for one meter.  I read some reviews and all were positive so I took the plunge.  I needed two and the total with shipping was about $100.00 - 1 meter each.  The cables arrived last night and I hooked them up to my Tad 1000 monos and noticed an immediate improvement in all areas.  The cables are very thick and a little inflexible but that's my only complaint thus far and feel it was money well spent.  Please note that I have nothing to compare these to except the standard power cords but for the price it was definitely a worthwhile tweak / upgrade which yielded signifigant improvements over the stock cords.  Audio Advisor also has a 30 day money back guarantee so even if you don't like them you really have nothing to lose.  Moderator, If you feel this falls under the general review circle feel free to move it but I felt it qualified as a cheap and cheerful upgrade so I wrote about it here :D  http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGAC9

srb

Re: Pangea power cable
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2010, 04:46 pm »
You might be interested to read some other user's comments from the 10/19/2009 topic "Pangea Power Cords".
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=72739.0

Steve

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2010, 04:47 pm »
 Ken you are NOT alone in your findings. Three of our club members so far have made he plunge and replaced some serious expensive cords with the Pangea cords. One member cut off the IEC and hard wired to the Pre power supplies. A major improvement.
   Hey we have been waiting for a the real deal at a reasonable and FAIR price. May be this is it. Enjoy ! Finally ordered one, I' a bit slow we will see.

charles

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2010, 05:51 pm »
Moderator, If you feel this falls under the general review circle feel free to move it but I felt it qualified as a cheap and cheerful upgrade so I wrote about it here

No problem. If it's cheap, cheerful and IYO worthy - post away.

Thank you

Mariusz

starkiller

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2010, 09:14 pm »
I have three of the Pangea cords and noticed a diffence in sound after all of them.  Each one went into a different system so I could tell pretty quick the difference :)

chgolatin2

« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2010, 12:17 am »
I just ordered 2 myself recently~  :wink:

ken

« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2010, 02:32 pm »
Thanks for the link Stev.  It's always good to hear about others experiencing similar results from a relatively inexpensive item.  I think I'm going to order the AC-14 this week.  Has anyone tried the HDMI cables yet?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2010, 02:34 pm »
  Has anyone tried the HDMI cables yet?

Yes, but can't say it was any better than the Monoprice cable I was using.

earwig

« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2010, 03:09 pm »
My thick power cords are sure stiff n bulky.I made cords with teflon Belkin cable once.Those pangea sound thick.Is there any like really much flexible cable for lets say a cd player mayby?

ken

« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2010, 05:25 pm »
I think the AC-9 power cables are suited more for amplifiers then for pre's or cd players etc...  you should probably use the AC-14's instead

mainscablesrus

• Industry Participant
    • Suppliers of Hi-Fi & Home Cinema Mains Items
« Reply #10 on: 12 Feb 2010, 04:44 pm »
This looks like a seriously thick cable, nearly as thick as the Anaconda from Shunyata! May be tempted myself, do they export them?

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2010, 05:42 pm »
They are etremely flexible. The 9ga is for amps power conditioners and other high current drawing items. The 14ga. is best suited for CDP, Pre and TT. We will be comparing the Pangea cords to some serious contendors at our next meeting. We will determine if the high priced cords offer true bang for the buck and sonic merrits.
   let ya know.

charles

mainscablesrus

• Industry Participant
    • Suppliers of Hi-Fi & Home Cinema Mains Items
« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2010, 06:49 pm »
They are etremely flexible. The 9ga is for amps power conditioners and other high current drawing items. The 14ga. is best suited for CDP, Pre and TT. We will be comparing the Pangea cords to some serious contendors at our next meeting. We will determine if the high priced cords offer true bang for the buck and sonic merrits.
   let ya know.

charles

would be interested to see how they compare to my nordost vishnus?

earwig

« Reply #13 on: 13 Feb 2010, 03:15 pm »
Since most of the other components are preamp,phono,tuner,cd player need smaller flexible cable for power. Is 16 guage too thin? Or does it have to be thick 14 guage or thicker to sound good?My amp uses a triple 12 guage and stiff.I was going to make more 12 guage ones (Belden Teflon) but its too stiff and thick to stick into a cd player.I guess 14 guage might be ok,mayby.Thanks anyway.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 14 Feb 2010, 06:32 pm »
Since most of the other components are preamp,phono,tuner,cd player need smaller flexible cable for power. Is 16 guage too thin? Or does it have to be thick 14 guage or thicker to sound good?My amp uses a triple 12 guage and stiff.I was going to make more 12 guage ones (Belden Teflon) but its too stiff and thick to stick into a cd player.I guess 14 guage might be ok,mayby.Thanks anyway.

Your amp uses 12 ga for a reason. Stay with 12ga or lower 10,9,8,etc. The 12 ga is for proper amperage and required current draw.
  The 9ga Pangea will work out great. We tried it last evening at our club meeting with the Oppo SE . Overkill in gauge but actually bettered the 14ga. You can use a heavier ga with front end but suggest only the  required  minimum proper ga. or heavier with your amp. Have fun.

charles