Poll

How many members are in the Seattle/Tacoma/Olympia Washington area?  Who's out there?

Yes, let's get together and share some love for Music, Equipment and Food!
22 (81.5%)
Yes, let's gather once in a while and show off our stuff!
5 (18.5%)
No, too much rain, I am NOT going out!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

PUGET SOUND AUDIO GROUP???

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
Re: PUGET SOUND AUDIO GROUP???
« Reply #120 on: 2 Dec 2016, 06:57 pm »
That sounds good to me, I only like tofu if it's in my miso soup.

pconley2

« Reply #121 on: 2 Dec 2016, 07:29 pm »
are any of you aware that Jason Victor Serinus (of Stereophile fame) has moved to that neck of the woods?  When he was in the SF Bay Area, he was very involved and helpful with the Bay Area Audio society.

Phil

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #122 on: 6 Dec 2016, 02:43 am »
I would like to thank you guys for accepting me as a outsider to you Puget Sound Group :thumb:

Greg what a great room and I hope to be back.  I didn't get any real good pictures of the equipment so maybe MCA could ad a few.

I was really glad to be present for the swapping and catch one of the holy grail moments we all hear about is this trying at times hobby.

The Dan Saches Pre Amp and the rebuilt Dynaco's (I think I have that right) was one of the magical moments we all wish to have at home.   And yes MCA will let the amps go if asked :thumb:

I have been assured them Pre Amp will be in Taiwan by the end of the week.  Or do I need to baby site again Michael :scratch:

I have also set all my alearts for the first 70 degree days in Seattle FLO :thumb:

Till the next time.

Alan just 331 miles away

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #123 on: 6 Dec 2016, 04:00 am »
Greg,

Absolutely agree with Alan. It was great fun to be there Saturday. [I still question my sanity for driving so long only to drive back 6 hours later.] Anyway, as you know, I desperately needed some R&R, and your G2G was what I needed.

Thank you, Greg. Stick a bed in that space and I'll rent it for a month.  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alan,

I'm debating hard on whether I want to take the Don Sachs preamp to Taiwan. I want it, but I just don't know if I'll be there for 3 months or 3 weeks this time. I think you know why. Either way I still need to buy an amp. Without the Model 2, I'll get a Nuprime ST-10 to pair with my Gustard. With the Model 2, the ST-10 won't pair well as its input impedance is too low. I'd need an amp with 47k and higher. I'd likely buy a VTA ST120 tube amp. Decisions, decisions...

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #124 on: 6 Dec 2016, 06:14 am »
I thank both of you for making such a long drive for what seemed like a short listening session. Trying to get Flo's server to run was something I really wanted to hear but it ended up just not working out and we needed to move on.

Alan made a good observation with the Sache's and Dynaco's, they really did sound good together. The magical moment at the previous GTG was my Joule Electra MK11-SE pre amp with Mike's much more expensive (compared to his Dynac's) Dehaviland 845s, which I fell in love with. It is a crazy hobby and finding that magic is not easy to do. This is what I look forward to having these get togethers because everyone learns so much, especially me. Mike has once again allowed me to listen to his Dynaco's for a little extra time and I've been doing that this evening.

I want to thank everyone for making it, bringing food and drink and of course your wonderful selves for the enjoyment of all. It was good to meet alexscotti and and Allen for the first time. Also, while I felt like I already new Michael well I met him for the first time too. We have both been dealing with what happens to some of us at this time in our lives so it meant a lot to talk a bit about hat. Each time I do these it feels like a new adventure and I get to know each one of you a little bit more. 

Thanks again to all,

Greg

alexscotti

« Reply #125 on: 6 Dec 2016, 06:28 am »
Thanks for having me!  Great bunch of guys.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #126 on: 6 Dec 2016, 06:37 am »
Was there a consensus on the SQ of the Gustard X20?
 Sorry I missed this gathering; maybe I can make the next one (if invited  :)). I have a diy Tortuga LDR pre and will have the Holo Springs R2R nos, os, dvd DAC Level 2 that I could bring. It would've been interesting to A/B with the Gustard. A delta sigma/R2R faceoff. :)

Best,

Roy

mresseguie

« Reply #127 on: 6 Dec 2016, 07:59 am »
Hi, Roy.

Can you believe it? We all got so concentrated on switching out amplifiers with my D. Sachs Model 2 and Greg's Joule preamp that we plum forgot to try out the Gustard.  :duh: It wasn't till people were getting ready to head home that we realized it.
I wish you had attended this G2G. I could have heard your Tortuga LDR preamp. I've certainly read good things about it.

Michael

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #128 on: 6 Dec 2016, 08:34 am »
Was there a consensus on the SQ of the Gustard X20?
 Sorry I missed this gathering; maybe I can make the next one (if invited  :)). I have a diy Tortuga LDR pre and will have the Holo Springs R2R nos, os, dvd DAC Level 2 that I could bring. It would've been interesting to A/B with the Gustard. A delta sigma/R2R faceoff. :)

Best,

Roy

Yes Roy,

I was talking to Michael about his dac as he was walking to his car, saying how much I really wanted to hear it while it was "in the house". Anyway, I think he thought I was trying to get him to leave it, which I wasn't at all. But,  it probably sounded like that after I realized we didn't get it into the system and it was out the door. I'm running what I think is a pretty good dac, the Metrum Octave which is a R2R nos dac. But JakeJ's Hex R2R nos dac was much better to my ears. It would have been interesting to listen to the "new hot dac" compared to the "old hot dac" I bought when it was all the rage for awhile not all that long ago.

And Roy, you are always invited and welcome. I also welcome you bringing anything you would like to compare and listen to in a different environment. Like I mentioned I tried the first iteration of the Tortuga passive and it didn't work for me. Hearing it again would be a pleasure and perhaps my new room and different gear would change my thoughts?

mresseguie

« Reply #129 on: 6 Dec 2016, 07:52 pm »
Yes Roy,

I was talking to Michael about his dac as he was walking to his car, saying how much I really wanted to hear it while it was "in the house". Anyway, I think he thought I was trying to get him to leave it, which I wasn't at all. But,  it probably sounded like that after I realized we didn't get it into the system and it was out the door. I'm running what I think is a pretty good dac, the Metrum Octave which is a R2R nos dac. But JakeJ's Hex R2R nos dac was much better to my ears. It would have been interesting to listen to the "new hot dac" compared to the "old hot dac" I bought when it was all the rage for awhile not all that long ago.

And Roy, you are always invited and welcome. I also welcome you bringing anything you would like to compare and listen to in a different environment. Like I mentioned I tried the first iteration of the Tortuga passive and it didn't work for me. Hearing it again would be a pleasure and perhaps my new room and different gear would change my thoughts?

LOL! Greg,
I came very close to offering to let you keep the Gustard till Monday if you could ship it to me to arrive by today. I guessed the approx. 24 hour shipping would be mind-blowingly expensive, so I bit my tongue.

Despite all that driving by both Alan and myself, we did not sleep a wink in either direction. :)

dixi

« Reply #130 on: 7 Dec 2016, 05:00 am »
Thanks Greg for hosting again,I really enjoy the company.Michael your preamp was really impressing  me so much I already contacted Don and Allan your pork and beer was just delicious.I have a good time and hope see you guys soon.BTW Allen in Seattle 70 F will be sooner than you think lol
Happy Holidays to all!
Flo

mca

« Reply #131 on: 7 Dec 2016, 07:32 pm »
Thanks Jake  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2016, 06:49 pm by mca »

mca

« Reply #132 on: 7 Dec 2016, 07:33 pm »
I tried at least a dozen time to post pics, and no matter what I do, they show up upside down, so this is what you get  :evil:

mca

« Reply #133 on: 7 Dec 2016, 08:03 pm »
It was a very fun second meeting and was great to meet some new audio geeks! I really enjoyed hearing the two Van Alstine amps and the Don Sachs preamp, there were some really good sounds coming out of Greg's room that day  :thumb:

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #134 on: 8 Dec 2016, 01:36 am »
I tried at least a dozen time to post pics, and no matter what I do, they show up upside down, so this is what you get  :evil:

Don't feel bad Mike, I did the same thing a few months ago. I would turn them right side up save them, post them again and every time they would be upside down when I re posted them.

We all just have to do what a car dealership owner did here is Seattle many years ago. He would do commercials while standing on his head and would say. "I'll stand on my head to make you a deal" Of course he died not long after so maybe that's not such a good idea :lol:

JakeJ

« Reply #135 on: 8 Dec 2016, 01:42 am »
Here you go, gents.

JakeJ

« Reply #136 on: 8 Dec 2016, 02:13 am »

We all just have to do what a car dealership owner did here is Seattle many years ago. He would do commercials while standing on his head and would say. "I'll stand on my head to make you a deal" Of course he died not long after so maybe that's not such a good idea :lol:

Hey Greg, that was the old Cal Worthington car commercials, right?

Glad you had lots of fun.  Looking forward to doing it again.  I will have 12/24 - 1/1 off and am planning on coming over to see family and hopefully pick up the Pass X350.5 from Tuan.  Probably not a good time for audio G2G's but thought I'd throw it out there

gregfisk

• Restricted
« Reply #137 on: 8 Dec 2016, 05:45 am »
Hey Greg, that was the old Cal Worthington car commercials, right?

Glad you had lots of fun.  Looking forward to doing it again.  I will have 12/24 - 1/1 off and am planning on coming over to see family and hopefully pick up the Pass X350.5 from Tuan.  Probably not a good time for audio G2G's but thought I'd throw it out there

Hey Jake,

Thanks for fixing that, everything looks much better when your'e not standing on you head. It was actually Glen Grant Chevrolet and Glen was the original owner, they were one of our accounts back then before they sold out. The one son took it over and the other one who I didn't care for at all started one down in Tacoma somewhere, he was a real piece of work. We used to do the alarm work for Glen who had a place out of Kenmore on the water, pretty nice guy for the most part.

I will be home after Christmas and also New Years but not sure if we will be here or at our Camano place. I'll keep in touch and maybe we can catch up for a little while before going back to the madness of work.

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #138 on: 8 Dec 2016, 01:57 pm »
Wow I missed another great G2G.  However we had a wonderful four day visit in NYC with my daughter and her husband.  One highlight was going to The Blue Note to hear Chick Corea and one of the groups he is playing with over a two month series of shows.  I'm looking forward to the next Puget Sound G2G!
Jeff

mca

« Reply #139 on: 25 Dec 2016, 05:11 pm »
Just wanted to take a moment to wish all my new friends in the PSAG a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Hope everyone is enjoying family, food, drink and of course some good tunes  :thumb: