Abyss
« on: 26 Jul 2016, 02:41 am »
Any Abyss owners here ?

« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2016, 09:40 pm by ddark65 »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Aybss
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2016, 06:48 am »
Never owned it, but I did have a very long audition with one at a local shop. Fantastic sound... for the first couple minutes until the pain of wearing the accursed thing overtakes your senses.

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:25 pm »
Strange I don't have that problem at all , I was concerned about the comfort of the Aybss but once setup correct it feels better than my HE1000 .

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:42 pm »
Haven't heard them but people seem to either love these or hate these, both in regards to the sound and the design. They're definitely fugly, but that wouldn't deter me if the sound and comfort met my expectations.

milford3

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2016, 02:32 pm »
A good and honest review of the Aybss headphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t23lyqf0p28

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2016, 09:10 pm »
A good and honest review of the Aybss headphone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t23lyqf0p28
  That review means nothing

milford3

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2016, 11:47 pm »
  That review means nothing

If I'm spending over 4K for a headphone this review means a lot. 

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54 pm »
If I'm spending over 4K for a headphone this review means a lot.
Kyle reviewed the Aybss 3 years ago and didn't even own a amp that could drive the Aybss correct .
Also the only piece of gear he ever purchased was a pair of HD800'S

Again how does a good reviewer test a pair of headphones when he don't even have an amp that can drive the Aybss ?  I'm happy with my Aybss they sound better than my HD800S and my HE1000

Happy listening :) all that matters is we are happy with what we have   

New2Audioguy2

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2016, 07:14 pm »
Kyle reviewed the Aybss 3 years ago and didn't even own a amp that could drive the Aybss correct .

Again how does a good reviewer test a pair of headphones when he don't even have an amp that can drive the Aybss ?

How does someone determine which amp is needed to properly drive it? There are amps that are thousands of dollars that people said paired poorly or just not optimally for certain headphones.

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2016, 07:39 pm »

Both the Simaudio 430 and the Woo Audio pair great with the Aybss
In the next few week I plan on upgrading all the tubes in the WA5LE
with Takatsuki 274B and 300B this will a huge upgrade in terms of sound

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2016, 07:55 pm »
How does someone determine which amp is needed to properly drive it? There are amps that are thousands of dollars that people said paired poorly or just not optimally for certain headphones.
Best bet is to hear it yourself , if this is not possible like in my case I do as much research as I can and talk to people that own the gear themselves . Mike from Woo Audio has answered many of my question and never put me down the wrong path he a great guy to talk to .

weatherman1

« Reply #11 on: 7 Aug 2016, 10:41 pm »
Obviously you enjoy the Abyss headphones and have the money to spend for the pleasure.  Not everyone does and when you throw in the cost of the Woo amp you are forking over thousands more.  Then you add $1900 for the new tubes for a total of $5600 for the  amplifier to drive what is a planar headphone that shows less than a 50 ohm load.  I get that you are working hard to convince others that your hearing is different than others, including reviewers, and that your wallet is thick and deep.  I have worn the Abyss and did not care for the sound or the yoke assembly design or fit.  I own many headphones and many headphone amps including OTL's, hybrid, and SS units and the different combinations present different sonic values.

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 8 Aug 2016, 12:03 am »
Obviously you enjoy the Abyss headphones and have the money to spend for the pleasure.  Not everyone does and when you throw in the cost of the Woo amp you are forking over thousands more.  Then you add $1900 for the new tubes for a total of $5600 for the  amplifier to drive what is a planar headphone that shows less than a 50 ohm load.  I get that you are working hard to convince others that your hearing is different than others, including reviewers, and that your wallet is thick and deep.  I have worn the Abyss and did not care for the sound or the yoke assembly design or fit.  I own many headphones and many headphone amps including OTL's, hybrid, and SS units and the different combinations present different sonic values.
Everyone hears things different , I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything I am just stating I really enjoy my Headphones those being the Abyss . As for the reviewer I was just pointing out he didn't even use a decent HP amp nor does he have any skin in the reviews since he never reaches in his wallet for any thing he reviews  " makes a big difference "  I'm sure these are plenty of people that don't care for the Aybss or the fit which does need tweaking since its just not a headphone that you just stick on your head , there are certain thing one must make sure of with the fit to get the full benefit . I'm going to be purchasing the new Focal's also but Im sure there will be many people that don't like those either . All that matters is one is happy with there gear and can enjoy it .

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 8 Aug 2016, 02:45 am »
Is your amp dealer really helpful about suggesting and supplying the best tubes for your amps?  I worry a lot about tubes because of the heat and limited life, and sonic differences between brands.  I would hope that my amp dealer can offer the best tubes with my basic purchase, or at least replace the standard tubes with the better ones for a reasonable fee.  Most of all I'd expect friendly and cooperative service.
I would be buying the tubes direct from Woo Audio they have a 1 year warranty and carry both the 274B pair and 300B Pair in the Takatsuki brand that I want .

kingdeezie

« Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2016, 07:42 pm »
ddark,

Are there any tips you could provide on properly setting up the Abyss? I bought a demo pair from Woo Audio, and have been listening to them for the last 30 minutes or so.

So far, I like them less than the Utopias, which they are more akin in sound too. My third pair of phones is Hifiman HE1000s. I know you had a pair you didn't like very much, but I enjoy them a lot when I want a relaxed, open, warm sound.

I know that a lot of the sound can be catered based on how one positions the headphones, the toe angles, and the pads.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ddark65

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 28 Sep 2016, 08:25 pm »
ddark,

Are there any tips you could provide on properly setting up the Abyss? I bought a demo pair from Woo Audio, and have been listening to them for the last 30 minutes or so.

So far, I like them less than the Utopias, which they are more akin in sound too. My third pair of phones is Hifiman HE1000s. I know you had a pair you didn't like very much, but I enjoy them a lot when I want a relaxed, open, warm sound.

I know that a lot of the sound can be catered based on how one positions the headphones, the toe angles, and the pads.

You don't want the pads tight on your ears , they should just lightly be touching your ears . The pads have a line on them I just kept turning them until I found a good fit . What amp are you using 
Checkout the video below .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GundN7voH5o

Dj_AmTraX

« Reply #16 on: 30 Sep 2016, 05:35 am »
ddark,

It'll take some time for you to experiment and make adjustments to the headband and ear pads to get it just right for you. Keep in mind that the ear pads should only lightly touch the sides of your head. You DON'T want a tight seal like traditional headphones. Spend quality time with it. You'll be rewarded. I love mine.  :)

ddark65

• Restricted
Re: Abyss
« Reply #17 on: 11 Nov 2016, 04:01 am »
Got some Focals today

« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2016, 12:46 pm by ddark65 »

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Abyss
« Reply #18 on: 18 Nov 2016, 07:35 am »
... looks like a snack for the Abyss  :lol:

ddark65