Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

Poultrygeist

« Reply #520 on: 22 Mar 2011, 01:08 pm »
So far my Omens haven't exactly starved on their puny diet of 2.5 MiniWatts in their 15X15 room but they may well appreciate a little more headroom. The MW volume pot stays in the 12 to 3 o'clock range and we only listen to small group jazz.

The price of 300B tubes is scary when they aren't included in the amp purchase price.

Might a 2A3 do it for me?

sebrof

« Reply #521 on: 22 Mar 2011, 01:33 pm »
So far my Omens haven't exactly starved on their puny diet of 2.5 MiniWatts in their 15X15 room but they may well appreciate a little more headroom. The MW volume pot stays in the 12 to 3 o'clock range and we only listen to small group jazz.

The price of 300B tubes is scary when they aren't included in the amp purchase price.

I have plenty of power with my 2A3 amp in my 12' x 13' room, and it sounds like I listen to a wider variety of music and maybe louder than you do. If you are in a 15 x 15 and the miniwatt is almost enough then I'd say you would be happy with a 2A3. I've only heard a few 300b amps and never in the same system as a 2A3 so can't really comment on 2A3 vs. 300b, but many people prefer the 2A3 if they can live with the lower power.
FWIW - I never really wish for more power, maybe once in a great while for a song at a time. But read Gopher's posts and you think that maybe it's just that I haven't heard the Omens with a good powerful amp (I have listened with a 150 watt vintage Yamaha, but...). So who knows...Enjoy.

Sam-fi

« Reply #522 on: 27 Mar 2011, 03:52 am »
Well, I have finalized my system. I have reached a level that I couldn't have dreamed of. I am content with the performance and will be holding on until I can afford a whole new system in a whole new room. I thank the Zu Omen Defs for allowing me to get to this level.

Sam

Gopher

« Reply #523 on: 27 Mar 2011, 04:16 am »
Sam,

What change was the tipping point for you?  I felt exactly the same way a few weeks back with my 845B driven Superflys--when a tube crapped out on me I took the opportunity to 'upgrade' and as is often the case, I've been tweaking my buns off trying to get back to how it was.  Finally caved and bought a THIRD pair of expensive triode tubes--should be here this week I hope.

morganc

« Reply #524 on: 27 Mar 2011, 06:02 am »
A 2A3 might be a good choice for you.  I was lucky enough to have a friend bring over a MiniWatt and I loved it. For the size and price it was stunning actually.  But it was not as transparent as the Melody I2A3 that I was running at the time. Also the soundstaging was much smaller on the MiniWatt, and though very engaging, both of us agreed that the I2A3 was a large improvement across the board.

Sam-fi

« Reply #525 on: 27 Mar 2011, 06:59 pm »
The Sony XA5400es. It brought a whole level of realism and did not sacrifice musicality like many of the other cdp's I had been trying. Also I got longer speaker cables and am able to move the rack to a more attractive location that I can live with - and they improved the sound! The rawness is back without more power and the tone, dynamics, definition and detail are all sweet.

I never believed a recording could take me to a real performance and it still doesn't but this system seems to at least reach a grey line of sorts and so I will stop there.

Sam

Zu Audio —Sean

« Reply #526 on: 28 Mar 2011, 08:31 pm »
That's awesome on the source player—pickup and speakers, the two biggest things in the playback system save for the recording. Okay, the room fits in there somewhere. But yeah, the recording is key, not just the content but the art of the capture, mixing and mastering. For me playback and live are two different arts. Source and loudspeakers, then match everything between. Diggin' that you like the speaks in your rig!

Bugs

« Reply #527 on: 2 Apr 2011, 07:46 pm »
That's awesome on the source player—pickup and speakers, the two biggest things in the playback system save for the recording. Okay, the room fits in there somewhere. But yeah, the recording is key, not just the content but the art of the capture, mixing and mastering. For me playback and live are two different arts. Source and loudspeakers, then match everything between. Diggin' that you like the speaks in your rig!

Hey Sean - As you can see, the contributors to this thread have a great appreciation for and admiration of the Zu Omen and Omen Definition product line.  Given that it is understood that the Omens are produced to a price point, are there any tweaks that you can pass along to us on the Omens that may have been too cost prohibitive to produce?

Best regards, thanks for a great product, and good luck in Zu's future endevors.

morganc

« Reply #528 on: 2 Apr 2011, 10:20 pm »
Excellent question Bugs :thumb:

Hey Sean - As you can see, the contributors to this thread have a great appreciation for and admiration of the Zu Omen and Omen Definition product line.  Given that it is understood that the Omens are produced to a price point, are there any tweaks that you can pass along to us on the Omens that may have been too cost prohibitive to produce?

Best regards, thanks for a great product, and good luck in Zu's future endevors.

djbnh

« Reply #529 on: 3 Apr 2011, 02:36 am »

Ditto re: Omen Defs. Internal cabinet bracing comes to mind, think I read that somewhere.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #530 on: 10 Apr 2011, 02:39 pm »
Received my 2a3 a few days ago and it's 6 watts is all I will ever need for the Omens and my Mk3 Frugal Horns.

:D

morganc

« Reply #531 on: 10 Apr 2011, 05:03 pm »
I just picked up a DIY First Watt F3 Clone and my initial impressions are that if you are looking for a cheap and cheerful match to your Omens or Omen Defs, this would be an excellent choice at an amazing price. 

Gopher

« Reply #532 on: 11 Apr 2011, 03:07 am »
Did you get the one on audiogon the other day from the guy that was selling the 3, 4 & 5? 

morganc

« Reply #533 on: 11 Apr 2011, 03:55 am »
Did you get the one on audiogon the other day from the guy that was selling the 3, 4 & 5?

No I picked it up about 10 days ago from here on AC I believe.  It is in great shape, works perfectly, and is suprisingly cheerful paired with my Modwright pre.   

sebrof

« Reply #534 on: 11 Apr 2011, 04:39 am »
Received my 2a3 a few days ago and it's 6 watts is all I will ever need for the Omens and my Mk3 Frugal Horns.

:D

Which 2A3 did you get?
Mine is a DIY I built about a year ago based on the WE91A, 6C6 pentode drivers. It sounds good to mme with the standard Omens.

sebrof

« Reply #535 on: 11 Apr 2011, 06:35 am »
FYI - For you in the Central Texas area, Whetstone Audio in Austin just announced they'll be a Zu Audio dealer.
Brian seems like a great guy, hope it causes a stir.

http://www.whetstoneaudio.com/

coolsax

« Reply #536 on: 11 Apr 2011, 11:44 am »
This is awesome news.. i've really been wanting to hear Zu speakers now i'll be able to audition them yay!
interesting since the guy at Whetstone is a huge UK manufacturer guy, but good on him for wanting to bring in an American made brand!

Poultrygeist

« Reply #537 on: 11 Apr 2011, 09:49 pm »
I sprung for the Dared MP-2a3c and it even came with a pair of white cotton gloves to install the big Shungang 2a3 tubes. I've already replaced the crappy Chinese 6N3's with a quad of NOS GE JAN 5670W and the change is dramatic.

With the Omens and 2a3 I'm hearing the sound board and action of Bill Charlap's piano and the spit in Miles' trumpet. So far I'm very pleased with this combination.

sebrof

« Reply #538 on: 12 Apr 2011, 03:45 am »
I sprung for the Dared MP-2a3c and it even came with a pair of white cotton gloves to install the big Shungang 2a3 tubes. I've already replaced the crappy Chinese 6N3's with a quad of NOS GE JAN 5670W and the change is dramatic.

With the Omens and 2a3 I'm hearing the sound board and action of Bill Charlap's piano and the spit in Miles' trumpet. So far I'm very pleased with this combination.

I'm not surprised you like the 2A3 / Omen combo. I love mine.
I have the Shuguang 2A3Cs, not sure if that's what you have. I like them compared to Sovteks and old Sylvainias I have.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #539 on: 12 Apr 2011, 11:17 am »
Yes. the Dared has the same handsome Shuguang 2a3c tubes ( wasn't sure of the spelling ). I absolutely don't need anymore power for the Omens.

Considered the 300B but I don't care for anymore bottom end or slam from the Omens in my moderate sized room plus I rarely listen to rock or full orchestral music. Love the transparent detail, great mids and smooth highs of this entry level 2a3c paired with the Omens.

Compared to the charming little Miniwatt the Dared's sound has a lot more meat on it's bones. Both are quite musical with the Omens.

Y'all, this 2a3 is however, generating some serious heat and the 300B is said to run even hotter. I guess I'll be throwing an extra log on the AC to get through the summer here in Dixie.