Anyone going to T.H.E. Show in Newport?

capwkidd

Anyone going to T.H.E. Show in Newport?
« on: 18 May 2011, 03:55 pm »
I live about 2 hours from there.... so I will probably go, I don't see what would keep me away.... I am curious, since I have only been to RMAF, how does it compare?

And of course, if anyone has hotel suggestions, let me know! Thanks.

capwkidd

Re: Anyone going to T.H.E. Show in Newport?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2011, 08:18 pm »
No one?

TONEPUB

« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2011, 10:22 pm »
It's the first year, so no one knows how it compares...

Stay right at the hilton.  It's right across from the airport.

capwkidd

« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2011, 10:26 pm »
Ah, did not realize it was the first year, great! Hilton is full.... 200 hotels around it, no worries... If I can just find one with a great full breakfast, like the Staybridge in CO.....

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 21 May 2011, 10:33 pm »
There are quite a few things right there by the John Wayne airport.  Our new issue will be out next week, and we've offered a guide of places to eat and drink that are close by...

santacore

« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2011, 01:38 am »
I'm looking forward to going.

capwkidd

« Reply #6 on: 22 May 2011, 02:23 am »
There are quite a few things right there by the John Wayne airport.  Our new issue will be out next week, and we've offered a guide of places to eat and drink that are close by...

You mean, Tone Audio Pulications?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2011, 05:29 am »
I'll be there.  :thumb:

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2011, 05:30 am »
I plan on going.

capwkidd

« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2011, 02:45 pm »
Great! I hope allot of people attend, so the show will go on, and on :)!

Anyone find a hotel cheap, with free full breakfast?

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2011, 04:08 pm »

You mean, Tone Audio Pulications?
Yup, capwkidd, that be Tone Audio Publications and if you click on the little globe in the left margin under his name that'll take you right to Tone Audio.

funkmonkey

« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2011, 04:33 pm »
Would have loved to have gone, and I'm close enough to do a day trip.  But I will be out of town...  wish I would have known about it a month ago when I booked my flights.  :duh:

Jon L

« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2011, 06:48 pm »
Will be there for at least one of the days.  Anyone within decent driving distance should check it out.  These things are so much FUN :thumb:

datman

« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2011, 08:20 pm »
I'll be there. I haven't been to a show since CES 2004.

capwkidd

« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2011, 08:23 pm »
I'll be there. I haven't been to a show since CES 2004.

How does the Vegas show compare to RMAF, if you have been?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2011, 01:16 am »
It's the first year, so no one knows how it compares...

Stay right at the hilton.  It's right across from the airport.

Tickets purchased and planning on being there most of Saturday.  :D

I remember going to a similar show in the same area MANY years ago - no clue what it was called. Do you know of any prior shows in the same area?

capwkidd

« Reply #16 on: 29 May 2011, 04:52 pm »
I am surprised when people say they will only be there for 1 day.... 3 days will probably not be enough!

We should all work on making a list of the music played in the various rooms, as well as a general picture of the room with all the associated gear listed.

What I did at the last RMAF, was try to take a picture of every room, as well as the sign outside with the company names.

If we all at least try to take 1 picture inside the room and a picture of the sign (hopefully they will have one) listening the brands, that would be great. Of course if the individual rooms would provide equipment lists, that would be even better!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2011, 05:09 pm »
Be sure to stop by Room 204 and say Hi. :)

capwkidd

« Reply #18 on: 29 May 2011, 06:51 pm »
Be sure to stop by Room 204 and say Hi. :)

Sure, and I will bring some devil's food donuts :)

fritzspeakers

• Industry Participant
  • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
    • FRITZSPEAKERS.COM
« Reply #19 on: 29 May 2011, 10:40 pm »
I'll be showing my loudspeakers with WyWires, Zesto Audio & ModWright so please come on up and visit us in room 207. 

Feel free to bring your own music as we get sick of listening to our same old stuff over & over.  We can play LP's, CD's, SACD's & DVD- Audio.  Would anyone care to loan us an I-pod docking station?  8 track? 

In reference to a couple of posts above, this should be a great audio show for Southern California.  The last one was back in June 2006 near the LAX airport.  Two of them actually- the Stereophile show @ the Hilton & a much smaller one put on by Vacuum Tube Valley down the street.   
http://www.vacuumtube.com/VTV%20EXPO%20LA.htm

THE Show in Newport will be larger than the recent THE Show in Vegas.  So far it looks like 80 regular rooms & a couple dozen big ones!  I think there were 55 rooms in Vegas this year.   Last years RMAF had 180 rooms, they've been doing it for eight years so they are much larger.  That one is almost to much to see & do in 3 days.
I showed at the 1st CA Audio Show last summer in San Francisco & that one was very well attended.  It had about 40 rooms so this So Cal gig will be twice as big. 

CES is a whole different thing, it's for the industry only & not open to the public.  About a gazillion rooms.  It costs a fortune to show there & manufactures at CES are trying to set up dealers to carry their products.  THE Show & RMAF are consumer friendly for audiophiles & regular people to play with all kinds of gear without too much pressure.   BTW- Be sure to bring your check book, credit cards or better yet, for the best deals... a suitcase full of cash!

Anyhow...  I absolutely have a blast doing these shows & hope to meet many new local AC members.  I also really enjoy getting turned on to new music & bands so don't forget to bring yours.

Thanks,  See you next weekend
Fritz