DIY GTG Eastern Oklahoma OCT...

mightym

DIY GTG Eastern Oklahoma OCT...
« on: 1 Sep 2010, 12:16 am »
I'm attempting to gauge interest in/coordinate a small DIY gathering at my place outside of Checotah, Ok.

Tenative Date is October 23, 2010.

We will have the run of my family's vacation home on Lake Eufaula.

I believe we can set up 2 listening areas in the house.  ( at opposite ends, through a couple of doors, on different floors....).

I do not have enough gear to set up 2 systems, so your gonna have to bring stuff to show off.

I will be listing this on several forums.

I will need folks to RSVP on attendance, so I can get out directions, coordinate stuff, etc.

Anybody want to come over and play?

John

mightym

Re: DIY GTG Eastern Oklahoma OCT...
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2010, 01:47 am »
Just to "Bump" this, and to add a little more info....

The system I'll have set up downstairs:

A KT88 SET integrated amp.

Playstation as source.

DallasII BLH's as speaker.

I have a small tv monitor for the playstation, DIY interconnects, and DIY speaker cables ala the 6 Moons White Lightning Moonshine cables.

The amp has 2 inputs, so if someone wants to bring a TT ( sadly mine's still not resurected )and a phono pre, or a digital front end of some flavor....

I expect/hope we get to roll in and out other equip.  whatever you'all bring.

The upstairs  system, should we decide to split it up is TBA.

John

coke

« Reply #2 on: 2 Sep 2010, 03:13 am »
I'm only about 30 minutes away, but I'm not much into DIY anymore. I have some speakers i built with my dad when i was 15 and a dayton titanic sub, but that's about it.

Not sure of my plans yet, but I'd love to see how some of the local DIY compares to my Salks and AVA equipment.

mightym

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2010, 01:54 am »
Hi Coke,

I'm guessing Muskogee?

I was in Soundworld recently, and one of the employee's allowed that there is a "guy who builds speakers" in Muskogee, but couldn't remember a name....

I have some of Mr. Van Alstine's early work, my 3rd system ( over 25 yrs. ago )was a PAS 3 and a Stereo 70, they are waiting for me to gather the courage to tackle a re-build.  Both are unmolested, original, and were working units when I stored them....

I've yet to hear any of the Salks, but they certainly use top of the line components.  Seem to have a loyal following.

Since I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago, I'm on a beer budget, family to raise and all.  I'm pretty happy with the bits and bobs I've cobbled together so far.

Hope you can make it, keep in touch.

John

mightym

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2010, 11:01 pm »
To those who were interested in coming to the DIY gathering posted here, your going to get a second chance.

Things fell apart this week, what with illness, job interviews out of state, weddings, etc. nearly all the " I'll be there's " have had to back out this week.

I'm not the kind to give up easily though, so lets have some input on when to reschedule this shindig.

Do we wait 'til after football season is over?

I'm hoping for suggestions as to when you-all will be able to come.

I'm going to check on the availability of the house with the family Matron, she's been planning some work, and waiting for this little deal to pass before starting.

I'm truly disappointed it didn't work out, but feel that there was plenty of interest and we need to plan on a better date for the ones who desire to attend.

I need input folks....

John

mightym

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2010, 09:14 pm »
Things have been progressing at a frenetic pace since postponement yesterday.

We are looking at rescheduling for a Saturday anywhere from late Jan. to early Mar.

If you are interested, post here or over at Techtalk ( same thread title ) on your opinion regarding an amenable date to try again.

John

Audioclyde

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2010, 09:34 pm »
Hi John,

I'm in Tulsa; not a DIY'er, but would enjoy getting together.  I have a couple of DAC's (Tranquility Signature just arrived today, and the EE DAC) I could bring along with my Mac Mini to feed 'em.

Something in the Feb-Mar area would likely work better for me.

Thanks,

Randy

mightym

« Reply #7 on: 22 Oct 2010, 10:35 pm »
Glad to hear from you Randy. ( I'll add you to the list )

A Mac Mini, and a DAC would fit right in, I'm interested in building a dedicated machine to handle, music, movies etc. for my home, but know little about that stuff so far...Who knows you might get bit by the DIY bug when your here too!

I'll continue to post updates here, hope you can join us when it comes off.

John

mightym

« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2010, 01:57 am »
Gentle people, I'm home for a " One Night Stand", and I've had a couple of days on the road to cogitate.

I'm going to throw a couple of dates out for comment/vote/whatever. I cannot guarantee either date until I check the schedule with my Matriarch.

January 29th '11 ( with proper sacrifices to the weather gods to ensure safe travel...), or February 26th '11. Other suggestions are welcome if these dates do not suit.

Again, this is for comment/discussion. I would like to get a date nailed down as early as possible so I can reserve the building.

I'll be back out on the road tomorrow, and will check in again this weekend.

John

mightym

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jan 2011, 01:18 am »
To all who have supported/ commented, etc. about gathering here in beautiful green country of Oklahoma. We have a problem Houston....

Again I am forced to postpone this gathering.

We were supposed to have an addition to the building installed by the company who originally constructed it, this was contracted for in October, and was supposed to occur shortly after Thanksgiving. My mother, the building owner, made the classic mistake of telling the Contractor that she was not in a hurry, it's a boat storage addition, and that other storage arrangements had been made for this winter. So naturally the work has not even begun yet. It would be my luck to allow this gathering to go on, and have the construction package delivered this week....

As there has been enough response, I'm also thinking a change of venue may be in order anyway. After having a trial run of sorts, the room seems awful small...

I do intend to host a gathering this spring, but cannot say when at this time. Stay tuned, and those who have previously commented, will receive PM's when things have been straightened out somewhat...

John