Tekton Design OB Sigmas quasi-dipole open baffle speakers

fidobite

I posted this a while ago in the "open baffle" forum:

Hello to all! I know it has been a while since this topic was commented on but I'm a Tekton OB Sigma owner and I'd like to add a 1st hand report on the  speaker:

A little background: I have spent more than 17 yrs enjoying a pair of Apogee Duetta Signatures and I am very familiar with dipoles/open baffles and the concerns of how to get them to perform at their best. As most of you know dipoles have an especially appealing "airiness" or "spaciousness" about their presentation but their designers do have to contend with the bass cancellation issue which, of course, various manufacturers have done with varying degrees of success. I dealt with my Apogee's ultimate lack of low end by carefully blending in a pair of Hsu Research subwoofers and I managed to achieve a quite satisfactory measured and subjective balance in the 2 different listening rooms in which they were used. Both were rather sizable allowing for over 7 feet of space to the rear wall and over 4 feet to the side walls in the 1st room. The 2nd room had dormer openings left and right that were 5 ft deep half way down the side walls on both sides. The speakers were placed at the leading edge of the dormers from the back wall and eliminated what early side reflections there are with dipoles and worked as a diffuser offering the best sound I'd ever had. These speakers did have to go back to the factory in MA twice over the years to have the panels tensioned and the second time they actually replaced the bass panels with an "updated" version less prone to the tensioning issue (so I was told, but that was the last time I had the issue before I sold them).

After a few years with a selection of stand mounted monitors from B&W and Spica (incredible sound stage from these old favorites!) and the Hsu subs. I began to miss the dipole magic and began looking around again for what was available. I was aware of Maggies of course but had found their sound "constrained" for the kind of dynamic music I most enjoy. Then I started reading about this guy in Utah and his Pendragon and Enzo speakers and how popular they'd become for their price. When I looked at his website I saw the reference to his OB Sigma and his brief description. Now, you can poo-poo his comments if you like but the idea of cancellation of low end behind a baffle of sufficient width fading carefully into the upper bass/lower dipole midrange made a great deal of sense to me. Shortly thereafter he offered these speakers at nearly half price with a 30-day return policy. With no risk I ordered a pair to see what it was all about.

I've been playing with these for nearly a month now. They work rather spectacularly IMHO, but their are a few issues I'm looking into dealing with. Walking behind them as they play is revealing...the "initial" bass is gone in the near field. As I pass into my bedroom behind and across a stairwell away it returns as carryover from front firing bass no longer cancelled wafts into the house. The fairly wide baffle (17") does tend to focus the tweeter's output to a fairly narrow sweet spot and, though the baffle edges are rounded, I suspect diffraction off the edge a bit. A little playing around with some F11 wool felt strips should ameliorate that issue and, in black and carefully cut, I should be able to retain the speakers stark but appealing "industrial" simplicity. I really don't give a damn what they look like as they're in a room dedicated to only music and usually totally blacked out ;-) I'm keeping these for sure as they have again returned to me that wonderful dipole airiness, solid slam factor that dynamic drivers do so well (excellent Seas drivers) and SOLID bass performance. Like all speakers I've ever owned they do benefit from a little careful room treatment - bass traps, diffusers, and absorption panels here and there.

Update: moved into recently vacated basement space (goodbye son, have a good life!) - it is smallish, only 14' by '21' with a somewhat odd shape prompting me to set up angled about 20 degrees from the central axis of the room placing the listening chair in a nicely open area where the stairs lead up on the left leaving me with about 8' either side of my head and 6'+ behind. Shelves at the other end behind speakers contain a mixture of diffusing items and mom's old pillows dispersed fairly randomly until I got the right "sound". With toe-in and the natural low level of side dispersion common to dipoles I've got things sounding quite good but more to do.

1st action based on years of dealing with baffle diffraction was F-11 .5" wool felt around the excellent Seas soft dome tweeter on this 17" wide baffle  - inch between tweeter, 4" to left and right, 7" below...looks like a rectangular beard on the tweeter. Immediate smoothing of treble response - those that have used felt know exactly what I mean.

Spacious sound, balanced, coherent, detailed with no etch - well recorded voice floats in a deep & wide soundstage. From Eva Cassidy to Mary Black, Clark Terry scattin' to even Mark Knopfler "singing", anything well recorded sounds, well, well recorded! Conversely bad recordings tend to sound worse than you remember. Btw Clark Terry's "Portraits" CD (Chesky JD2) and Dire Straits "On Every Street" CD - one recorded "audiophile", one a masterful mixing room concoction, both outstanding through these Eric Alexander creations! Alison Krauss, ridiculously good - Tingstad & Rumbel, sweet and airy - Fourplay, stunning - Aaron Neville.....well, let it suffice to say that if it's well recorded it sounds remarkable!

Right now upstream is a garden variety Adcom GFA 555 II (never have understood the negatives on this truly fine Nelson Pass designed amp...I think it's quite good for the $) driven by a HK dvd48 through a dBX CX1 pre. I do have a pair of Hsu Reseach subs through a Rane active xover @ 70 Hz supplementing @ low level the Sigmas running full range.

Check Terry London's review at hometheaterreview.com. He explains in better detail the technical details of the speaker's design. Also I should note that Eric at Tekton is releasing a newer version of the Sigma OB soon....I can only imagine!

danabunner

Re: Tekton Design OB Sigmas quasi-dipole open baffle speakers
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2017, 05:21 pm »
Is the Adcom 555 the only amp you've used with it?  I do agree that those are underrated.

What is your take on the speaker's efficiency?  I've gotten to where I mistrust manufacturer's claims, which I've found to be off by as much as 5 to 6 decibels. 

fidobite

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2017, 10:29 am »
Is the Adcom 555 the only amp you've used with it?  I do agree that those are underrated.

What is your take on the speaker's efficiency?  I've gotten to where I mistrust manufacturer's claims, which I've found to be off by as much as 5 to 6 decibels.

Actually when I first set the Sigmas up for break-in I ran them continuously with a 100w/channel Parasound HCA 800II and left them hooked up to that amp for initial listening. It drove them quite well, but the 200w/channel Adcom sounds a bit better - more dynamic and a bit more articulate. I would be happy though if the Parasound were all I had to drive them. As for efficiency I would guess, and it's only a guess, 88 or 89dB. They do seem to liven up with added power and a fairly lengthy break-in.

After 17 years with the Apogees I can say unequivocally that these Tekton Sigmas easily surpass the Duettas in detail and dynamics and for a fraction of the price (especially adjusted for inflation) and power requirements. Driven with my dBX BX1 amp (512w 8ohms/1200w 2ohms) those Apogees would still show me flickering red overload lights from time to time. The 200w of the Adcom easily drive the Sigmas to ear splitting levels while retaining that special dipole "airiness" and outstanding focus/soundstaging. I am pleased to say the least!

Btw, I have been further experimenting with the 1/2" F11 felt, something Metric Felt Co. in Mokena, Ill, calls EEB Black-6 Acoustic Pad, 1" thick, and 2 other varieties in gray and white. I'll report further if I manage any additional improvements.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2017, 11:41 am »
Hello, fidobite.

Thanks for the write up. Have you got pics of your Sigmas?

sebrof

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2017, 12:33 am »
Fido thanks for posting.
I have owned a couple of pairs of Tekton speakers (still own 1 pair) and have been impressed with the bang for buck of Eric's products. Very often on internet forums there are a lot of negative opinions about certain designs and then someone actually listens and Viola! we get another perspective.
Glad you are enjoying!!

fidobite

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2017, 04:55 am »
Hello, fidobite.

Thanks for the write up. Have you got pics of your Sigmas?

Here's a couple I took setting up....

fidobite

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2017, 05:01 am »
Fido thanks for posting.
I have owned a couple of pairs of Tekton speakers (still own 1 pair) and have been impressed with the bang for buck of Eric's products. Very often on internet forums there are a lot of negative opinions about certain designs and then someone actually listens and Viola! we get another perspective.
Glad you are enjoying!!

Thanks Sebrof!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2017, 07:49 am »
fidobite, I see you have a circular cutout for the felt around the tweeter. You might want to experiment with that shape if it's feasible. I have found that you can hear cavity resonances even in felt and that the ideal shape is a star pattern, or at least a square, counter-intuitive though that may seem. With a square cut out, at least you benefit from varying distances from the source to the felt. If the felt absorbed 100% of the sound energy it wouldn't matter, but it won't and there's the rub.

What originally alerted me to this effect was trying to record wind in trees for a film and keeping the wind out of the mic by recessing it in a circular wall formed by a fiberglass batt. To my amazement I could hear the tuning effect of the cylinder of fiberglass. I would never have believed it possible, but I happen to recognize the sound of what amounts to a cavity resonance, and when I moved the mic in and out of the cavity, I could hear the tuning change, like comb filtering.

fidobite

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2017, 03:21 am »
Thanks Russell! I had seen that done but didn't really understand the reason...now I've been "educated" and your description makes perfect sense. That will be my next project...now if I can just cut it accurately without making a mess of it  :?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2017, 05:58 am »
I wonder, do all tweeters in all speakers benefit from adding felt? Does a typical two-way monitor design benefit?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jan 2017, 09:29 am »
I wonder, do all tweeters in all speakers benefit from adding felt? Does a typical two-way monitor design benefit?
I think many speakers do benefit from control of baffle edge diffraction; certainly control of diffraction and reflections in the immediate vicinity of the MF and HF drivers.
An easy experiment I did to explore this was to drape a large folded bath-size towel over the top of the box around the tweeter end, projecting at least 3 inches over the edge. This will be particularly effective if the box/baffle board has sharp edges. I experienced sharper imaging and greater clarity doing this. The challenge then became to get the same effect while looking better. This is where felt comes in—or properly rounded baffle edges.

geezerizing

congrats -- luv my ob4.5's!
« Reply #11 on: 15 Mar 2017, 03:10 am »
amazing isn't it? The day I got mine I packed up my Proac rs1c. Yours look lovely - mine use a Fostex driver that has a cute AM radio coloration that I a find easy to listen around. They are very involving! Congrats...