Audiosector USB DAC -- my new DAC--(and comparison)

t-head

• 'I am sure that I am sure of nothing'
Re: Audiosector USB DAC -- my new DAC--(and comparison)
« Reply #40 on: 16 Nov 2008, 01:06 am »
I have both...

Paradisea+ has that smooth 'tubeness' you either like or hate as it were...very musical but not as 'present' as PD...

PD USB has a bit more 'edge' or 'detail' but not  bright. More 'PrAT' and 'slam' if that makes any sense. Very musical and hard to ignore...

My opinion, my ears, room, rig, etc. KingRex T-20 and KingRex Pre-amp sounds better with Paradisea+. 300B SET monos and 6SN7 pre from Wright Sound is better with the PD USB...YMMV

t

Ricey20

« Reply #41 on: 16 Nov 2008, 07:11 am »
Ah thanks. Maybe the PD would fit my stax better since my O2 MK1 tends to be more laid back somewhat.

Folsom

« Reply #42 on: 16 Nov 2008, 07:52 am »
Depending on your personal tastes there are a few things you can do to make the PD Dac fit the bell just as much as the Iss ( I bet)

The noise floor on PD's ideas for power supply drops to black with good AC power filtering, at least with my experience. A Felix would be ok, but a lot more capacitance would be better. The Iss has built in power filtering via battery so of course it has some better characteristics out the box.

Also you can play with the PD by removing certain plastic on certain capacitors, and then grounding the can (my new experiment that has gone very well with a PD amplifier with Blackgates which have isolated cans). That is another discussion perhaps because there are concerns which may or may not be concerns. You can check for voltage but it should all be inducted and have so low of amperage it does not matter how much voltage or how you attach a ground (to star, or whatever you run). Try at own risk. As of right now I would ONLY recommend it on the two output caps until further notice because I need to review schematic.

I do fully intend on a buffer line amp, the output of the PD is only 2v. Plus most amplifiers' input is way to low of gain for the 2v tops. I changed mine on my PD amp and had way better results.

Ricey20

« Reply #43 on: 16 Nov 2008, 08:26 am »
Almost close to getting a PD. Probably get the SPDIF version since I'm on the list for a off-ramp 3. Just mulling about before I make a decision :p

nature boy

« Reply #44 on: 23 Nov 2008, 02:08 pm »
Hey Guys,

I have finally decided to take the plunge on an Audio Sector DAC, however Peter has not responded to several e-mails sent to him over the last few weeks with a couple minor questions.  This is a bit disheartening, but understandable if he has a lot of orders.

Do I have his e-mail address right: 'phdaniel@sympatico.ca'?  Is there a better way to reach him other than e-mail?

He has set up an easy ordering system for his chip and other amp offerings at his Audio Sector website, but not for the DAC options. 

Anyway thanks for any suggestions you might offer.  I am trying to purchase an assembled DAC with a coax input, transformer, Cardas dual RCA's, and assembled on a wooden board.  Similar to the pix Viggen posted and Peter has posted on DIY Audio, except with a coax input not a USB input.

Cheers,

Roger
nature boy

pardales

« Reply #45 on: 23 Nov 2008, 03:56 pm »
Hey Guys,

I have finally decided to take the plunge on an Audio Sector DAC, however Peter has not responded to several e-mails sent to him over the last few weeks with a couple minor questions.  This is a bit disheartening, but understandable if he has a lot of orders.

Do I have his e-mail address right: 'phdaniel@sympatico.ca'?  Is there a better way to reach him other than e-mail?

He has set up an easy ordering system for his chip and other amp offerings at his Audio Sector website, but not for the DAC options. 

Anyway thanks for any suggestions you might offer.  I am trying to purchase an assembled DAC with a coax input, transformer, Cardas dual RCA's, and assembled on a wooden board.  Similar to the pix Viggen posted and Peter has posted on DIY Audio, except with a coax input not a USB input.

Cheers,

Roger
nature boy

That is the email address I have for him. He has generally responded within 24 hours when I communicated with him in the past. Hang in there, maybe he is away or very busy. This DIY version of the Audiosector DAC looks tempting:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1232583996&/Audio-zone-nos-dac-custombuild

PSP

« Reply #46 on: 23 Nov 2008, 05:58 pm »
I had the same experience with Peter Daniel... I wrote to him ~3 months ago to discuss DAC options and prices, then ordered, and when the DAC came I had a couple of questions... there must have  been a dozen e-mail exchanges between us and every time he answered within a day or two, and many times he answered within hours.

I am sure he's way busy or away for a few days.

Peter

Kooka

« Reply #47 on: 28 Nov 2008, 07:35 pm »
No other "reviews"?

wilsynet

« Reply #48 on: 28 Nov 2008, 10:08 pm »
Peter has been very responsive to me in the past.  He might just be on vacation for a couple of weeks.  It wouldn't hurt to send him another email in case it got lost in the mountain of email that he probably gets from time to time.

As for more reviews:

In a previous post in this thread, I compared the AudioSector USB DAC to the Isabellina.  I said the Isabellina was better, but you know, the Isabellina is also 4x-5x the price of the AudioSector.

I've heard a lot of DACs over the past couple of years.  The Wavelength Brick, the Electrocompaniet ECD-1, the iRock, the built-in DAC of the Bel Canto S300iu, the Benchmark DAC1, the CityPulse, the Zhaolu, the Channel Islands VDA2, PS Audio DLIII.  A lot of DACs.  I haven't tried them all, but I've tried an awful many of them.

I've had the pleasure of recommending the AudioSector USB DAC to a number of people, and so far the praise is effusive.  Here's part of an email that someone wrote to me a number of months ago regarding the AudioSector USB DAC recommendation I made:

"Peter was very helpful and built the DAC in a few days.  The DAC looks even better than pictured.  Fit and finish are first rate. I like the compact size and that it runs fairly cool to the touch.  And the sound is truly amazing!!!!!.  Right out of the box, this DAC is stunning.  Music is much clearer and better resolved with excellent tonal quality.  I didn't know my speakers were capable of such awesome bass response.  And nothing bright or edgy about the sound either....... just nicely balanced.

"My system has never sounded better, and I have total control over music selection with some great looking, new gear.  Thanks so much for your suggestions and help along the way."

Kooka

« Reply #49 on: 28 Nov 2008, 11:33 pm »
Peter has been very responsive to me in the past.  He might just be on vacation for a couple of weeks.  It wouldn't hurt to send him another email in case it got lost in the mountain of email that he probably gets from time to time.

As for more reviews:

In a previous post in this thread, I compared the AudioSector USB DAC to the Isabellina.  I said the Isabellina was better, but you know, the Isabellina is also 4x-5x the price of the AudioSector.

I've heard a lot of DACs over the past couple of years.  The Wavelength Brick, the Electrocompaniet ECD-1, the iRock, the built-in DAC of the Bel Canto S300iu, the Benchmark DAC1, the CityPulse, the Zhaolu, the Channel Islands VDA2, PS Audio DLIII.  A lot of DACs.  I haven't tried them all, but I've tried an awful many of them.

I've had the pleasure of recommending the AudioSector USB DAC to a number of people, and so far the praise is effusive.  Here's part of an email that someone wrote to me a number of months ago regarding the AudioSector USB DAC recommendation I made:

"Peter was very helpful and built the DAC in a few days.  The DAC looks even better than pictured.  Fit and finish are first rate. I like the compact size and that it runs fairly cool to the touch.  And the sound is truly amazing!!!!!.  Right out of the box, this DAC is stunning.  Music is much clearer and better resolved with excellent tonal quality.  I didn't know my speakers were capable of such awesome bass response.  And nothing bright or edgy about the sound either....... just nicely balanced.

"My system has never sounded better, and I have total control over music selection with some great looking, new gear.  Thanks so much for your suggestions and help along the way."

That's pretty good, thanks.

Dan Twomey

« Reply #50 on: 29 Nov 2008, 12:58 am »
Peter Daniel is without question an exceptional designer. I have his TDA1543 NOS DAC and for the pricepoint it is very good. But with slightly more effort and money you can go well beyond the AS DAC. Some claim it will best the Attmann and for anyone chasing redbook perfection I would strongly recommend having a look at Pedja Rogic's http://www.pedjarogic.com/1541a/rev2.htm AYA DAC. I have one and it is magic!

Regards,
Dan  :D

wilsynet

« Reply #51 on: 29 Nov 2008, 01:03 am »
I want to add some caution to my previous posting.

If I recollect correctly, the AudioSector DAC has an output impedance of 2300 ohms.  As I'm sure many of you know (but some don't, so I'll repeat it here) an often quoted rule of thumb for audio electronics is that the input impedance of the receiver should be at least 10x the output impedance of the source.  I've found that 20Kohms input impedance on my RWA 30.2 integrated was quite good enough, and certainly the 50Kohm input impedance of the Modwright SWL 9.0SE was more than enough.

However, if you've got a preamp or integrated amp with less than 20Kohm input impedance, then off-hand I wouldn't recommend the AudioSector.  The Nuforce P8 preamp, for example, has a 4000 ohm input Z, and my guess is that it really isn't going to do the trick here.

A lot of the NOS DACs out there have higher output impedances, and if you're looking for that NOS DAC sound, you'll just have to be a bit mindful about impedance matching, whether you can use a passive, etc.

Kooka

« Reply #52 on: 29 Nov 2008, 08:33 am »
Depending on your personal tastes there are a few things you can do to make the PD Dac fit the bell just as much as the Iss ( I bet)

The noise floor on PD's ideas for power supply drops to black with good AC power filtering, at least with my experience. A Felix would be ok, but a lot more capacitance would be better. The Iss has built in power filtering via battery so of course it has some better characteristics out the box.

Also you can play with the PD by removing certain plastic on certain capacitors, and then grounding the can (my new experiment that has gone very well with a PD amplifier with Blackgates which have isolated cans). That is another discussion perhaps because there are concerns which may or may not be concerns. You can check for voltage but it should all be inducted and have so low of amperage it does not matter how much voltage or how you attach a ground (to star, or whatever you run). Try at own risk. As of right now I would ONLY recommend it on the two output caps until further notice because I need to review schematic.

I do fully intend on a buffer line amp, the output of the PD is only 2v. Plus most amplifiers' input is way to low of gain for the 2v tops. I changed mine on my PD amp and had way better results.

Interesting.
But.
Did you try yourself connecting to ground cans of the 2 output capacitors on the PD dac? To wich ground (I mean where)?
Thanks.

Folsom

« Reply #53 on: 10 Dec 2008, 02:09 am »

Interesting.
But.
Did you try yourself connecting to ground cans of the 2 output capacitors on the PD dac? To wich ground (I mean where)?
Thanks.

I have not tried it yet on the DAC. Neutral ground, system ground, not earth.

I might try just wrapping the type N caps feeding the electronics and connecting to ground, it might be enough for the power ones, and then removing the jacket on the output ones and then grounding. I will play with all possibilities till I find my favorite sound.

Also I think a lot of DAC opinions are subjective. I think often people are looking for the right kind of coloration and fray away from neutral things. Just to put some perspective on opinions where I would not vouch that any DAC at any price is really that much better that the PD NOS DAC. Look at the components, there are only a few options in the world for improvement.

anthony a.

« Reply #54 on: 8 Jan 2009, 08:40 pm »
what is the reason for going with an ASYNC mode dac (such as wavelength), and i assume the audio sector is not async?

wilsynet

« Reply #55 on: 8 Jan 2009, 10:01 pm »
The AudioSector is not async.  The reason to go with async is to reduce/remove jitter.

Here is the Head-Fi discussion of this topic in 2007.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/async-mode-breakthrough-usb-dacs-271356/

From other postings over the last few months, the sentiment was that async mode made many Windows based machines sound better and there was not a dramatic improvement for Macs.

anthony a.

« Reply #56 on: 8 Jan 2009, 11:48 pm »
okay i see.  so i guess i should buy a mac mini into the audio sector and not worry then of async.  i guess there is no way to make the audio sector async, correct?  (excuse my ignorance on the topic)

thanks wilsynet.

wilsynet

« Reply #57 on: 9 Jan 2009, 02:07 am »
Your mileage may very of course.  Nope, no way to make the AudioSector async.

anthony a.

« Reply #58 on: 11 Jan 2009, 09:49 pm »
just picked one up from the man himself.  he lives very close by so i met with him.  looking forward to trying it out.

wilsynet

« Reply #59 on: 12 Jan 2009, 07:21 am »
That is excellent.  Be sure to let us all know what you think!