Recommend a tube pre-amp

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Recommend a tube pre-amp
« on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:08 am »
Been at this for 40+ years and nearly a purebred solid state owner.  Tried to be a DecHead years ago, but being a “speaker guy” of sorts couldn’t find suitable speakers for the small amps that Decware offered at the time.  Did home audition an original SE34 integrated (called “Rachel” now) that was 12 wpc – lots of tube palpability but also lots of bass bloat (my speakers go down to 25 Hz).  Tried a Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Integrated and although no bass bloat, hardly any tube palpability either, so I sold it.

My current system: Brines Acoustics M18-F200 speakers with Dayton Audio DC28F-8 ambience tweeters (Late Ceiling Splash – see Duke LeJeune’s circle); Channel Island Audio D-100 (original 100 watt modified Hypex class D mono-blocks); Emotiva DC-1 DAC/pre/headphone unit; MacBook Air via USB and iMac via optical are my sources (I listen in my study which is audio in the front and office in the back).  I’m in the process of picking up a Chord Qute EX DAC and thought I’d try to infuse some tube palpability via a pre-amp. 

I’d like to keep the cost under $1,000 USD.  I like simpler designs and cheaper tube replacements.  Being from a solid-state background, really long tube life would be a plus.  I’ve been looking at Decware ZSTAGE, iFi Micro iTube, and Schiit Valhalla.  And am considering keeping the DC-1 in the loop to have a remote.

TIA for your suggestions.

rockadanny

Re: Recommend a tube pre-amp
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:20 am »
Check out Mapletree Audio. Simple design, octal-tube choices abound, customized gains, separate power supply, individual gain controls per channel along with single volume control, superb sound, personal assistance and support from the designer/builder ... all for under (near?) $1k (haven't checked Dr. Peppard's process lately). Tube swapper's delight (you can check mine out here under my system.)

https://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

JLM

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:23 am »
Check out Mapletree Audio. Simple design, octal-tube choices abound, customized gains, separate power supply, individual gain controls per channel along with single volume control, superb sound, personal assistance and support from the designer/builder ... all for under (near?) $1k (haven't checked Dr. Peppard's process lately). Tube swapper's delight (you can check mine out here under my system.)

https://hollowstate.netfirms.com/

Yeah I did, but:

1.) Is the company still in business?

2.) Aren't the tubes a bit expensive?

rockadanny

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:46 am »
1.) Is the company still in business?

I would call and speak with Dr. Peppard - he will answer the phone. But their price list is current to 9/1/2015, so unless he went belly-up since then, I'd say yes.

2.) Aren't the tubes a bit expensive?

Some mythological wonder-tube 6SN7s can be silly expensive (I bought a really nice NOS semi-famous pair from Brent Jessie for $100), but since his preamps are switchable (switch selectable) between 6SN7/12SN7, I actually ended up preferring a pair of NOS Tung-Sol 12SN7s from Brent Jesse for $35 (that was for the pair!). I only tried a few different 6SN7 and 12SN7 pairs, and with my tube power amps I preferred the cheaper NOS 12SN7s for their power and clarity over some much more expensive 6SN7s which provided too much classical "tubieness" for my taste. I also purchased a NOS rectifier tube for my preamp from Brent as well ($25/$35?). So it does not have to be too expensive. And the tubes last forever (or 10,000 hrs., whichever comes first  :lol: ), as I've been told and am thus far experiencing.

rockadanny

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:51 am »
If I were still in MI (Detroit/Dearborn) I'd let you borrow mine as it is packed up for a move. But I've been down in the Atlanta area for the past 17 years and am moving even further south, so ... 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:08 am »
JLM,

What is your timeline on buying a tube preamp?

mca

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:33 am »
Maybe look at Tube Nirvanna, $995 for his Ella preamp.

JLM

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2015, 11:11 am »
Thanks so far for the ideas, please keep them coming...

Oh, I forgot, a remote control would be cool (+ 1 for Mapletree).

Single source input is OK, so what about a tube buffer?

And more importantly, as a tube newbie could you try to describe how these pre-amps/tubes sound.

BTW my speakers use an AlNiCo driver, so system sound is already on the warm/lush side.

?? No love for Decware, iFi, or Schiit ??

Oh, my timeline for getting a pre-amp is very open.

Again TIA.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2015, 02:38 pm by JLM »

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2015, 12:31 pm »
Thanks so far for the ideas, please keep them coming...

Oh, I forgot, a remote control would be cool (+ 1 for Mapletree).

Single source input is OK, so what about a tube buffer?

And more importantly, as a tube newbie could you try to describe how these pre-amps/tubes sound.

BTW my speakers use an AlNiCo driver, so system sound is already on the warm/lush side.

?? No love for Decware, iFi, or Schiit ??

Again TIA.

I use an iFi iTube as a buffer in my system with very good results. I have tried with a variety of amps (SS,Tube,Digtal) and each sounded much better with the iTube than without. The one mod that must be done is a quality 9v linear power supply. I purchased one from Astron for about $100.00 delivered. The provided wall wart will do the job, but the lps brings the iTube to a superior level. The iTube can be used as a preamp with 0 or 6db gain, and as a tube buffer with 0 or 6db gain. Mine is currently set as a buffer with 6db gain and used between a Dspeaker Dual Core and Crown XLS 1500 digital amp. The other iTube  features are a 3D HolographicSound system and Digital Antidote Plus. The 3D feature has 3 settings, Typical wich is used for normal speaker listening, Narrow which is for nearfield, and Direct which is a passthrough without altering the sound. The Digital Antidote is for taking the "harsh edge" from CD listening. I use mine in direct mode with the Digital Antidote in the off position.

Hope this helps
Chris

mav52

« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2015, 01:53 pm »
Find a used Quicksilver Line Stage or a Rogue Metis.  Made in the US and the owners are easy to talk to for advice.   I;ve used the Quicksilver for a long time and it always comes through as musical for the price.

Escott1377

« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2015, 02:39 pm »
I have been reading a lot lately on the Transcendent products.  Their Grid preamp has been out for a while...

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent_Sound_Grounded_Grid_Preamp.html

This unit uses 12AU7 tubes and they can be had on the cheap from multiple sources from Ebay.

I am having the new Masterpiece 300B built for me right now.  A pair of EH 300 tubes comes w/ the unit, but this is an expensive tube option to upgrade. 

I plan on adding a pair of KR Audio tubes and they will hit the wallet for about $1k.

The kit is $999 w/ tubes (I priced sourcing the tubes myself and only found about a $40 discount).

I paid $525 to have the kit built since I am not a DIY guy except for cables.

There is also a forum on the web site where you can ask lots of questions and get good feedback.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:17 pm »
. .
« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2015, 02:16 am by Bob2 »

rodge827

« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2015, 03:59 pm »
JLM,  do you have a budget range your working with?

The gear mentioned is in the $300-$1500 range kind of a large difference in price.

BTW +1 for the Transcendent Masterpiece!

Chris

Escott1377

« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:15 pm »
JLM,  do you have a budget range your working with?

The gear mentioned is in the $300-$1500 range kind of a large difference in price.

BTW +1 for the Transcendent Masterpiece!

Chris

Sub $1k

rodge827

« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2015, 04:28 pm »
Sub $1k

Was going by your numbers with Ed building it for you!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:08 pm »
 The first question I have is what character of sound do you desire ? Neutral ? Rich ? Bright ? I would contact Bill Baker at Response Audio and chat. He can make anything you desire for your budget.
    If ya want tubey rich older CJ. If you want neutral older Audio Research. If you want to spend a tad more check out Atmosphere.

charles

sturgus

« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:17 pm »
I would look at the Musical Design  Chameleon. It uses a mother board and has different daughter boards with different tube topology. It can sound many different ways. You should give John Hillig a call and let him explain in more detail how it works. There has to be at least 10 tube compliments that you can use. It is a very nice sounding unit.

http://www.musicalconcepts.com/MC_Cham.html

borism

« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:31 pm »
This review on AC caught my eye though I haven't heard the preamplifier myself. It is a little more expensive than the 1K limit:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138092.msg1470533#new

bluemike

« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2015, 05:57 pm »
I Have an Audioprism Mantissa Tube Linestage that is a shade over your budget I would let it go for 1100
Great deal and great Preamp I should know  :thumb:

Flyin_V

« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2015, 06:55 pm »
If you can assemble a kit, here is the basic version of the Don Sachs model. It's under $1K, you could upgrade to better caps later if you like the unit.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/SP14.htm