Warpspeed Optocoupler

roymail

• Roy in TX
Re: Warpspeed Optocoupler
« Reply #180 on: 22 Nov 2011, 11:39 am »
If I'm reading this correctly: take a 9V battery, get a snap on connector, hook the cable assembly that comes with the pre-built unit onto the two leads of the 9V snap on connector, and you're in business.  If you want to run in parallel, that's pretty easy too.

Do I have it right?  I should have paid more attention in my Grade 9 electronics class.

Here's a link to help you understand the difference in series and parallel battery configurations.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/serial_and_parallel_battery_configurations

Yes, I think you have it right.  Just make certain that if you use more than one battery, you connect them in parallel.  That will provide you with the same voltage, just more of it like a much larger 9v battery.

wilsynet

« Reply #181 on: 22 Nov 2011, 06:31 pm »
I wonder how big the power connector is on the back of the pre-built units?

5.5mm?

http://www.creativelightings.com/9V-Battery-Clip-Snap-with-2-1-x-5-5-mm-DC-Plug-p/cl-ps9v-2.1m-coax.htm

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #182 on: 22 Nov 2011, 08:36 pm »
I suggest you send a PM and forward that link to Allan or Trung and find out.  I don't know for sure, but maybe someone else will chime in.

wilsynet

« Reply #183 on: 22 Nov 2011, 10:11 pm »
Unfortunately, no.  The right one would be a 2.5 x 5.5mm N-type plug.

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #184 on: 23 Nov 2011, 03:27 am »
...The right one would be a 2.5 x 5.5mm N-type plug.

Yes...

Parallel keeps the voltage the same but doubles the battery life, 2 in series to double the voltage but battery life is like a single battery cell.

I use alkaline 1.5V D cells...2 sets in parallel, with 8 in series per one set for a stout, long lasting 12V supply.

usp1

« Reply #185 on: 23 Nov 2011, 04:12 am »
I have had the traveling "neutrino" for a few days now and have spent about 3 hours listening to it. So far, I really like what I am hearing. First it is dead quiet. Second, perhaps because of the lowered noise floor, everything seems to be more resolved and clear. I can more clearly hear the jingles (zils?) on a tambourine in the background. Applause sounds like people clapping rather than rain on a tin roof.  Lastly, on several of the CDs I played, it was easier to place instruments.

I did miss the warmth of my Dodd buffer. I haven't tried the two in combination yet. Hopefully, I will have time over the holidays.

Rclark

« Reply #186 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:19 am »
Please do report on that I'll be really curious. Trung has said the effect is pretty much just rounder sound, and since I have a sub I don't need it.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #187 on: 23 Nov 2011, 07:24 am »
I've got the WS hooked up in front of a Bottlehead 2A3 amp...all that old school big and simple triode tube magic really is a dream with the WS.  The Dodd Buffer would have a similar impact...I'd say go for it if you have transistor amps.  You won't regret the sound quality, I'm sure.  I say this because Trung hasn't steered me wrong yet!  :lol:

John

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #188 on: 25 Nov 2011, 01:24 am »
Happy Thanksgiving to all! :wine:

usp1

« Reply #189 on: 25 Nov 2011, 01:27 am »
Today, I tried the WS neutrino with the Dodd Buffer. Apart from a small problem (more later) all I can say about my listening session is WOW. With the Dodd running at full volume and the WS between the Dodd and the amp.... I got back all that I missed earlier without loosing any of the detail. The slight increase in warmth makes listening to female vocals such a pleasure. It seems to take just a bit of that edge when the singers hit the high notes. I wonder hoe much better the combination would be if I could simply incorporate the WS as the vol. control inside the buffer. This would bypass the Alps controller in the Dodd, plus all the extra connectors and ICs. (Is this possible Allan?)

Now the little problem I mentioned earlier. Nothing to do with the WS. But while trying different amp, pre and speaker combinations, My Rogue 88 tube amp started acting up and started making knocking sounds through the speakers.  :cry: ( I have never moved faster than I did today as I dived to turn off that amp!!) I now have to figure out what's wrong with it.   :cry:

Warpspeed CE

« Reply #190 on: 25 Nov 2011, 01:39 am »
I think Trung has done that with his Dodd and enjoying it thoroughly...I'm not familiar with the Dodd's wiring and layout so I can't comment.

Most likely a rogue particle wreaking tube havoc... :scratch: http://www.nature.com/news/neutrino-experiment-replicates-faster-than-light-finding-1.9393

usp1

« Reply #191 on: 25 Nov 2011, 02:04 am »

Most likely a rogue particle wreaking tube havoc... :scratch: http://www.nature.com/news/neutrino-experiment-replicates-faster-than-light-finding-1.9393

Exactly what I was thinking...My speed to rush to turn the amp off was probably close to that speed as well. :lol:

I will check with Trung...thanks.

rodge827

« Reply #192 on: 25 Nov 2011, 02:58 am »
I've got the WS hooked up in front of a Bottlehead 2A3 amp...all that old school big and simple triode tube magic really is a dream with the WS.  The Dodd Buffer would have a similar impact...I'd say go for it if you have transistor amps.  You won't regret the sound quality, I'm sure.  I say this because Trung hasn't steered me wrong yet!  :lol:

John

John,
Are you saying if one has a SS amp that the Dodd would be a better choice than the W/S?,,  or that the Dodd with the W/S would be a better combo?
Chris

InfernoSTi

« Reply #193 on: 25 Nov 2011, 03:16 am »
Chris,

I'm saying both.

Because of a variety of reasons, including second order harmonics from tubes that add fullness and richness, there is a more natural sound from having tubes in your signal path.  Others may disagree!   :lol:  Therefore, I think the Dodd buffer would help the SS amp sound even better than it does already (a general statement). 

I also have to say the WS adds a certain clarity and soundstage not otherwise present (hidden by the switches in the system is my current theory...volume pots and selector switches).  Therefore, I think the combo would be beneficial for two different reasons. 

Bypassing the volume pot in the Dodd would be easy if you didn't want to remove the pot itself.  Simply bypass it and add a 100K resistor (I use RPR "reds" in my 2A3 amp).  Just saying...

Please don't ask which would be better if you only had one...they each would be wonderful, I'm sure. Of course, I have the WS only in my system...   8)

John

rodge827

« Reply #194 on: 25 Nov 2011, 03:48 am »
John,
Thanks for the reply.
I had an all tube system for a while and last winter went back to an all SS set up.
I'm in the cue for the T@W unit, but it will not be until sometime next Feb that I can demo it. :icon_frown:
I have had resistor and TVC based passive preamps in the past, and can't wait to give the W/S a spin.
As it is I'm pretty satisfied with my current set up, but do feel the need to insert a valve somewhere in he chain.
Thanks again,
Chris

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #195 on: 25 Nov 2011, 11:14 pm »
I've been using a Goldpoint stepped attenuator that wired as a passive volume control for over a year with very good results.  So I'm familiar with the sonics.  The only thing that is lacking at times is drive.

I'm hoping that someone can comment on whether the WS provides more drive than other passives.  I don't know how it could, being a passive device without a buffer, but I'm certainly willing to listen and learn. Perhaps, as previously stated, combining the WS with the Dodd inline tube buffer would do the trick.  But, I'm thinking it will probably come down to personal preference and system synergy.

No doubt about clarity or transparency, since I've already heard a Lightspeed in my little system.  I'm positive the WS sounds wonderful, and wonderful is probably enough for me.  :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #196 on: 25 Nov 2011, 11:16 pm »
It sounds BETTER than wonderful

Early B.

« Reply #197 on: 26 Nov 2011, 01:07 am »
I received my Warpspeed V4 today.  Since I won’t be able to do any extended critical listening for another few weeks, I decided to offer my initial impressions.  Let’s start with the aesthetics. The build quality was exceptional and blends in quite well with my room decor.  The chassis is larger than I expected, and that’s a good thing. I also like the huge silver volume knob.

The Warpspeed replaces an Axiom passive preamp.  Prior to that, I’ve owned the Placette RVC, the Promitheus TVC, and a long list of active preamps. I’m powering a set of VMPS Tower II SE speakers with a badass Audio gd 300 watt amp. The source is a highly tricked out Bada tube CD player, and I’m supplementing the bass with an Onix 15” sub.

I popped in a CD and I was immediately blown away by what I heard. It seemed like there was a tremendous amount of power that was unleashed. Everything had more authority, including the vocalist. My system is laid back, and I was telling Allan before my unit arrived that my system sounded great, but lacked a bit of “uumph.”  I always knew my system was capable of much more, and what I heard today vastly exceeded my expectations.

I don’t want to get into a long, drawn out discussion on the sonic merits of the Warpseed, but let me simply say that everything improved – dynamics, micro detail, soundstage, clarity, realism of instruments, etc. In fact, I thought I had cleaned up every vestige of muddy bass, but the Warpspeed proved me wrong.  The bass was super tight and ultra clean.

Even though these comments are considered initial impressions, I can say, without hesitation, that after 12 years as an audiophile, the Warpspeed is the best component upgrade I’ve ever done.

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #198 on: 26 Nov 2011, 01:28 am »
I popped in a CD and I was immediately blown away by what I heard. It seemed like there was a tremendous amount of power that was unleashed. Everything had more authority, including the vocalist. My system is laid back, and I was telling Allan before my unit arrived that my system sounded great, but lacked a bit of “uumph.”  I always knew my system was capable of much more, and what I heard today vastly exceeded my expectations.

Early B, thanks for sharing your impressions.  You said, My system is laid back, and I was telling Allan before my unit arrived that my system sounded great, but lacked a bit of “uumph.”   It seemed like there was a tremendous amount of power that was unleashed. Everything had more authority, including the vocalist.  So I take it that your system has sufficient "drive capability" with the Warpspeed, right?  Well, I guess that answers my only question about this passive. (see two posts up).

That's good to know.  I guess you just got an early Christmas gift! (pun intended)  :thumb:

johnnycopy

« Reply #199 on: 26 Nov 2011, 02:22 am »
I received my Warpspeed V4 today.  Since I won’t be able to do any extended critical listening for another few weeks, I decided to offer my initial impressions.  Let’s start with the aesthetics. The build quality was exceptional and blends in quite well with my room decor.  The chassis is larger than I expected, and that’s a good thing. I also like the huge silver volume knob.

The Warpspeed replaces an Axiom passive preamp.  Prior to that, I’ve owned the Placette RVC, the Promitheus TVC, and a long list of active preamps. I’m powering a set of VMPS Tower II SE speakers with a badass Audio gd 300 watt amp. The source is a highly tricked out Bada tube CD player, and I’m supplementing the bass with an Onix 15” sub.

I don’t want to get into a long, drawn out discussion on the sonic merits of the Warpseed, but let me simply say that everything improved – dynamics, micro detail, soundstage, clarity, realism of instruments, etc. In fact, I thought I had cleaned up every vestige of muddy bass, but the Warpspeed proved me wrong.  The bass was super tight and ultra clean.

Even though these comments are considered initial impressions, I can say, without hesitation, that after 12 years as an audiophile, the Warpspeed is the best component upgrade I’ve ever done.

You've had some passives I've thought about owning including the Placette.

I certainly can concur with your comments regarding the increased dynamics, especially in the bass. Is the sub powered, and running directly off of the Warpspeed RCA's?