Ready for a hi-end Blu-Ray player, any suggestions?

Eric M.

I've been using an older Panasonic 3D Blu-Ray player but would like to step up. I need all the current bells and whistles except 4K. I would like as much as I can get in the way of streaming but if hi-end and streaming don't mix, I could always keep the Panasonic hooked up (although, most of it's issues are with streaming). Home theater movies and good old fashion stereo audio listening are what I'm do most. Again, if these don't mix, I'd be more concerned with the movie side and I could always stick with my older Denon CD player for music.

I've looked at the Denon DBT-3313UDCI and the Yamaha BD-A1040BL and BD-S677. I've heard losts about Oppo but don't know much about them.

Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric M.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Ready for a hi-end Blu-Ray player, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:24 am »
 There really is only one best choice: an Oppo.  If your primary use is for video and cd transport or music streamer to feed an external DAC, then the 103 model is sufficient. If you want to use it as your primary DAC, or don't want to get an external DAC, then the 105 model is the best choice.  I've read that the oppo Blu-ray players well soon support the Tidal music service as well with a firmware upgrade.

So seriously, don't overthink it, just get an Oppo!   You won't regret it.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:31 am »
I agree that Oppo is the best choice by far.  Don't overlook finding a used 95 model. It may actually surpass the newer and more expensive 105.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:35 am »
Another vote for Oppo - have 5 of them.

tjwm338

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:57 am »
Yes. Oppo is the best. No need to look any further. It is also great value for money IMHO. Have been using a 95 for the past 5 years and have it modded. Its still going strong. I don't even feel the need to upgrade.

I recently switched to projection and it works beautifully with my Runco. Great value for money. One of the most worthwhile purchase for my HT I have ever had.

Eric M.

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jul 2015, 04:11 am »
That makes it easy, Oppo it is. If I'm plugging this via HDMI into my A/V receiver, am I basically using the DAC in the A/V receiver?
Would I want the 103 model?

Thanks for the help.

Eric M.

ACHiPo

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jul 2015, 05:14 am »
Oppo 105D if you're going to use it for video and audio.  I use mine solely as a spinner and HiRez player so I skipped the Darbee edition for video.  Good solid unit. Good DACs. Even a good headphone amp so I hear.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2015, 09:44 am »
That makes it easy, Oppo it is. If I'm plugging this via HDMI into my A/V receiver, am I basically using the DAC in the A/V receiver?
Would I want the 103 model?

Hi Eric, yes, if you are using HDMI to the receiver, you are using the DAC in the AVR. The extra money spent on the 105's analog circuits is wasted. FWIW I have a 103 and am not pleased with the analog output circuitry. The 105 does have some additional features other than the better analog outs like USB audio input.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2015, 10:10 am »
JohnR,
Quote: "FWIW I have a 103 and am not pleased with the analog output circuitry."
I am curious as to why?  If I get a 103 to use with my AVA Fet Valve DAC will  I get compromised sound quality?  Should I get a 105 even if I use an external DAC?

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2015, 10:16 am »
Hi, if you are using an external DAC, then the analog circuitry of the 103 is not being used.

It would only be stereo though, I assume that's understood.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I love my 103. I just think Oppo gave its analog circuits short shrift. I guess they figured that an audiophile wanting analog directly out of the unit would step up to the 105. Fair enough. My issues with the 103 analog outputs are actually nothing to do with the audio quality per se, it boils down to two things: a slight DC offset when the unit goes into mute, resulting in a "pop" between every track of (say) a CD, and a couple of bugs in the bass management.

Eric M.

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2015, 02:29 pm »
Thanks for the explanation.
Why wold it only be stereo if not using the DAC in the 103? If I'm using the digital output of the 103 and the DAC of my A/V receiver (Yamaha CX-A5000) wouldn't it convert whatever the digital signal coded, be it stereo, 5.1, 7.2, etc.?

Eric M.

JohnR

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2015, 02:31 pm »
The comment about stereo was to NIGHTFALL1970, who said he would be using an AVA Fet Valve DAC.

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2015, 02:37 pm »
Oppo 105D if you're going to use it for video and audio.  I use mine solely as a spinner and HiRez player so I skipped the Darbee edition for video.  Good solid unit. Good DACs. Even a good headphone amp so I hear.

Not sure - but don't think they still make the plain old 105 - https://www.oppodigital.com/

The 105D also gets one additional goodies via the USB (like DSD) input.

Eric M.

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2015, 02:39 pm »
Ahh, that makes sense.

Thanks

The comment about stereo was to NIGHTFALL1970, who said he would be using an AVA Fet Valve DAC.

Davey

« Reply #14 on: 1 Jul 2015, 02:41 pm »
The inherent DC offset issue is not limited to the 103.  My Oppo BDP-83 exhibited the same/similar issue and thumped when switching tracks.  After a few go arounds with Oppo technical support and them assuring me this was "normal behavior", I decided to sell the unit.  :)  I won't buy another product from them.

However, this DC offset problem may not be an issue for some users.  Much depends upon the component the Oppo feeds into.  Whether it's DC-coupled, the magnitude of the input resistance, etc, etc.

Maybe the DC offset issue has been fixed with the 103/105, but it should be checked/understood.....IMHO.

Dave.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jul 2015, 02:47 pm »

Maybe the DC offset issue has been fixed with the 103/105, but it should be checked/understood.....IMHO.

Dave.

I think it is still there in the 103s.  I have two 103Ds.  One in the main system (which now is just used for video in an integrated A/V system) and one is a secondary system where I have a hard drive with music attached.  I have a music server in the main system.  If I go thru HT Bypass with the preamp, I wait until a disc has started as sometimes it will throw the amp into protection.  Also did it when I stuck the hard drive on it and started to play something.  Don't need the hard drive in the main system so it is not a big deal.  I have a modded 83, a 93 and also an old DV980H.  It causes no issues in the secondary system where I have a preamp with HT Bypass as well.

BobC

« Reply #16 on: 1 Jul 2015, 02:47 pm »
+1 for an Oppo.  My 83 is still working great.

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:04 pm »
Oppo is a great value as well as being built well for the money.  All my players still work and work well.  My DV980H is probably about 8.5 years old, give or take.  I was going to sell it a few years back and had one out-of-region disc and discovered with the remote and a 4 digit code it can be made region free.  I'll be buying their next player.

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:08 pm »

Hi Dave, not fixed in the 103, at least in units sold in AU about a year and a half ago... The information I've gleaned is that the 103 has it, and the 105 doesn't. However, I only have the 103 and have not used or measured a 105. It's not like it's a huge offset, as I recall it's 6 mV, but turning on and off between every track, and with the 103 connected directly to power amps, it was very audible and quite annoying. My end take was that the 103 is not suited for direct connection to power amps. In every other regard, I love it. Interesting to hear that this is not a new issue.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #19 on: 1 Jul 2015, 03:09 pm »
I'm lucky, I guess. My 103 does not have the DC offset issue. There is no 'pop' between tracks.

Now's my chance to offer my 103 for sale at only double the retail price.  :wink: