Build Log - X-LS Encores Times 3!

devinkato

Build Log - X-LS Encores Times 3!
« on: 30 Jun 2015, 08:09 pm »
Getting started. 3 sets of XLS-encores - here we go.  Best value in DIY!

Tweeter recess measured and cut. Having the sacrificial work jig seen below the actual baffle is a huge help, as I can "lock" my workpiece in place, preventing any annoying movement while I have my router bit spinning a billion RPM waiting to kill me.

Woofer cutout completed. Another advantage of the work plate is that I can affix the center cutout to the board, preventing the router mounting pin from coming loose when the cut is completed, wreaking havoc, and ruining my life.

6 baffles! Much easier to do many at once rather than just 1 set.

Relief cuts on the rear of the baffle allow better airflow to the woofer and prevent reflections from the backwave. I didn't extend the cutout all the way around in order to leave "meat" for the screws to bite into.

Wooooah

This is where the efficiency of my project took a huge nose dive. I knew doing 3 sets at once would save me some time, but I need more damn clamps. Or some magic that makes wood glue dry faster. I purposely oversize the top and bottoms of the cabinets and will flush trim them later. MDF comes in crazy dimensions (what's the metric system?) which makes it hard to anticipate exact sizing.

Got the edges all flush trimmed up and the cabinets square. Next step is a light skim coat of body filler on the seams. I want my speakers to look "molded" instead of pieced together, so covering any any seams is ultra important.

Let the body filler dry and sand with 150 grit. Voila.

It may seem like the body filler didn't do anything, but here's a close up of the seam and exactly what I'm trying to combat. The body filler is blue and did its job. It filled tiny little gaps in the crack that may show later during paint. The black parts between the body filler is dried glue (also good), so the seams are completely smooth at this point.

Yay for rulers! Here's the feet mounting points.

First operation on the router is a 3/4" roundover bit on the vertical edges. Thank god for dust collection - chewing up 3/4" of MDF is a a cancer causing nightmare.

Here's a family shot 1/2way through the 2nd operation (chamfer bit on the top and bottom edges). I usually take 2-3 passes for each operation to take it easy on my bits (unlike my teacher Jessie who is all go no quit 1 pass-kinda-guy).

Here's the full 2nd operation with the chamfer bit fully engaged. My goal for the roundover and the chamfer operations is to end right on the wood seam. Wood expands, glue expands, whatever - but as long as I finish the roundover and chamfer right on the seam, any potential "telegraphing" of the edges will look natural and be unnoticeable.

Right on the edge of the joined pieces of wood. Yay.

Took some time to build this handy fan cart. Pretty awesome. Can be positioned to cool your hot body, or to help with exhausting paint fumes. After testing it on my hot body, I used it today to help exhaust the paint fumes.

I use shellac based primer. Dries ultra hard and sands very well. It's also alcohol based, so it dries unbelievably fast. Basically the best thing ever when it comes to sealing MDF which tends to swell all weird if you use a water based primer.

Safety first.

That's it for today, They are actually dry enough to sand, but I got lazy, sorry.

Sanding sucks. I use a combination of my random orbital sander, sanding block, and good ole hand sanding. Really important to use a mini sanding block for the chamfered edges. Any waviness from hand sanding will really show when the final paint is applied.

Shot a layer of high build primer. Still seeing a bunch of imperfections, so more sanding is in order. Will probably have to repeat process 1 more time before moving to final coat. The finish paint is going to be ****** though. Totally unique.

Filler primer sanded back down to even. Looks like I wrecked the cabinets by sanding too much, but better to take the extra step to level everything out now, rather than deal with an uneven finish coat. The goal is to get the surface as level and as smooth as reasonably possible before doing final coat. I'm doing a finish (surprise) that can't be rubbed out or polished, so I have to take my time here.

I usually use painter's pyramids for drying the cabinets, this time I got smart. I drilled a predetermined depth (used the good ole' tape on the drill bit trick) as a guide hole for some temporary drywall screws.

Screwed in the drywall screws an equal amount of turns (14, I can count), and everything is nice and level.

Yay, speaker is floating and has built in feet for drying. After I'm all done with painting and drying, I'll remove the screws, and cap the holes off with some nice felt or rubber feet.

Tried a new filler primer. It was ultra heavy, the can was about 50% heavier than my other primer, which is a good thing. It means that it has a lot of solids in it so it will fill in imperfections better (won't work miracles, so better to start with a level smooth surface). Always like trying new products and the fact that the color is different than my last coat allows me to see coverage more easily.

Shot VERY well. Nice, even coverage. That's what I like to see with a primer coat. Always nice when hard prep work pays off. Very nice seam coverage and even finish. When you prep a smooth surface, you'll get a smooth surface after paint ;)

Seams looking great, looks like the cabinet is molded from one piece rather than jointed together. Just need to wet sand a couple of places and it should be ready for the final coat of color.

persisting1

Re: Build Log - X-LS Encores Times 3!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2015, 08:32 pm »
Those roundovers look really nice. Really really nice  :thumb:

Congrats!

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2015, 09:00 pm »
Looking  great  :thumb:
What was the name/band of the  primer you ended up using   (or did I miss it) ?

Also, was there any particular reason in having the  top/botom plate overlap the baffle instead of the opposite ?   Just curious ..
jay

devinkato

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2015, 09:39 pm »
Looking  great  :thumb:
What was the name/band of the  primer you ended up using   (or did I miss it) ?
Thanks!  I used this "UPOL" brand - http://www.tcpglobal.com/UPO2251-KIT-FAST.html#.VZMJmkZd3GF  Will definitely be buying a gallon next time.

Also, was there any particular reason in having the  top/botom plate overlap the baffle instead of the opposite ?   Just curious ..
Couple reasons - 1) I got tired of my cabinets "rocking" due to my crappy workmanship.  Using a single piece for the bottom ensures that it is completely flat.  2) This lets me use 1/2" thick top and bottom to match my 1/2" chamfer.  I've used 3/4" chamfer in the past, and it looks a little too aggressive.  (I end up either doubling up the floor, or adding 1/4" to the top and the bottom internally to keep the same volume.

Skiman

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2015, 10:52 pm »
Looks good! Are you installing the braces? No rez?

After a false start, I'm having Ruben make me 8 (encore version). Four done and four to go.

The XL-S is a GREAT speaker.

devinkato

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2015, 10:59 pm »
Looks good! Are you installing the braces? No rez?

Thank you!

Yep, braces will be going in after finish coat.  I got all my wood tools covered up from overspray during the painting process so that'll be one of the last steps.  Will not be putting in any no-rez.  These are budget builds and no-rez can get pretty pricy.  I may do a layer of peel and stick butyl mat and some open cell foam over that.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2015, 11:18 pm »
The speakers are looking good and nice shop.  Beats the heck out of my garage/driveway setup. 

Mike

Captainhemo

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2015, 11:37 pm »
The speakers are looking good and nice shop.  Beats the heck out of my garage/driveway setup. 

Mike

Hey !   I know that shop very well  :lol:

devinkato,
If you  ever order more kits from Danny,  another  inexpensive upgrade is to add a GenII bypass cap to the  large cap inthe woofer filter , I actually used  the Vishey's last time and they  seem to work well.
A second thing that I was  put onto by Ron was to use Acusti Stuf instead of Poly fill.  You can get that at Parts Express or from Amazon
Just use an ounce to  1.5 ounces  in the rear of  the cabinet being sure to really fluff it up and distribute it as evenly as possible.

-jay

Oscillate

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2015, 11:46 pm »
devinkato ...very nice work on the scalloped relief cuts for the woofer
cut-outs. I believe that making one of those 'fan carts' is in my future.
Very economical and effective system.

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jul 2015, 01:14 am »
Very nice!

You think rulers are nice, but I have to change your world for less than $20 shipped. I can't tell you how much I use this because I've lost track upon the gazillion times.

lacro

« Reply #10 on: 1 Jul 2015, 02:52 pm »
Very nice!

You think rulers are nice, but I have to change your world for less than $20 shipped. I can't tell you how much I use this because I've lost track upon the gazillion times.

Oh Boy!! an excuse to buy another tool :thumb:

lacro

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jul 2015, 02:57 pm »
Thank you!

Yep, braces will be going in after finish coat.  I got all my wood tools covered up from overspray during the painting process so that'll be one of the last steps.  Will not be putting in any no-rez.  These are budget builds and no-rez can get pretty pricy.  I may do a layer of peel and stick butyl mat and some open cell foam over that.

You might want to put some coating on the inside such as shellac. Peel-n-stick adhesives work best on a non porous, shiny surfaces.

devinkato

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jul 2015, 04:15 pm »
You might want to put some coating on the inside such as shellac. Peel-n-stick adhesives work best on a non porous, shiny surfaces.

I usually hit the inside with super 77 and let it get tacky before I try and stick anything.  That stuff is so sticky.

devinkato

« Reply #13 on: 1 Jul 2015, 08:16 pm »
Very nice!

Thank you!  As far as the Incra tool -

I'll be picking one up.

devinkato

« Reply #14 on: 2 Jul 2015, 05:33 am »
I'll just leave this here (metallic warm grey matte paint).

devinkato

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jul 2015, 06:24 am »
BRAAAINZZ. Also another pic of the finish under different light - this is my "clean" workstation in my garage back at home. This is very cold florescent light, yet the grey maintains its "warmth". I really like how the paint came out.

devinkato

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jul 2015, 10:23 pm »
Got dem drivers installed. They actually fit too. Whew

Closeup of the paint to get a better idea of the finish.

Looks really good against the black drivers.

Good texture match as well.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 4 Jul 2015, 11:13 pm »
Those look really nice. 

persisting1

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jul 2015, 11:21 pm »
Those look really nice.

I wouldn't mind having those in my house  :P