Pink Floyd Recommendations

Don_S

Pink Floyd Recommendations
« on: 20 Aug 2016, 10:49 pm »
I only have a couple of PF CDs and need recommendations to add to my collection.  I prefer more melodic performances.  e.g. "Welcome to the Machine" and "Another Brick in the Wall".

I have:
The Wall
DOSTM
Wish You Were Here

charmerci

Re: Pink Floyd Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2016, 10:51 pm »
First one to get would be Meddle.

jriggy

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2016, 10:53 pm »
Animals is a MUST!

One of my top favorite PF albums is Obscured By Clouds.  Its a lil less popular but I really like its vibe.

gregcss

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2016, 11:04 pm »
Second Meddle. Add Obscured by Clouds. Animals is good too..just a bit more rock'n'roll'ish than melodic.

RipTorn

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2016, 12:49 am »
Hi Don , my highest recommendation would be the live performance of Pulse ,..the recording is exceptional especially the 4 lp box set ,...Also the live performance on DVD of Pulse . Obscured By Clouds , Meddle ,.agree ,..get em all .

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2016, 12:53 am »
Animals, Meddle, Piper at Gates of Dawn, Atom Heart Mother.

FireGuy

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:16 am »
Hi Don , my highest recommendation would be the live performance of Pulse ,..the recording is exceptional especially the 4 lp box set ,...Also the live performance on DVD of Pulse . Obscured By Clouds , Meddle ,.agree ,..get em all .
:thumb: ... on the Pulse DVD.  Audio quality is top notch and to this date the best light show of any concert I've seen.  Unbelievable.  Brilliant work.

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:41 am »
Meddle.

And if you're in a REALLY relaxed mood, the meddle remix by the orb.

Philistine

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:44 am »
Another vote for Meddle...

bluemeanies

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:53 am »
Atom Heart Mother,Meddle,Relics and More....not a PF collaboration but a definite well recorded CD is Roger Waters "In the Flesh"

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2016, 02:09 am »
Just a note - Relics is a compilation.

Secondarily, I'm partial to A Saucerful of Secrets.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn is musical but a bit on the psychodelic (sp) side.

I find the post The Wall albums a bit too rock n' roll and rather ordinary.

I imagine you can sample all the albums on youtube.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2016, 12:52 pm »
Piper, Saucerful, Meddle, Pulse

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:12 pm »
I prefer more melodic performances.
I suggest Obscured by Clouds, More and Relics, all great music from the old Floyd, premium grade 1970s music.

FireGuy

« Reply #13 on: 21 Aug 2016, 01:18 pm »
Still have this '71 release where my PF journey began.   Yes, a compilation; with some sonic ambiguity, but it's vintage Floyd.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2016, 02:20 pm »
I only have a couple of PF CDs and need recommendations to add to my collection.  I prefer more melodic performances.  e.g. "Welcome to the Machine" and "Another Brick in the Wall".

It's interesting that you mention those two songs as "melodic performances", since "Machine" is very 'industrial' sounding for its time and the most musical aspect of ABITW part 2 is the guitar solo.

I would recommend just about everything before The Wall because I am partial to Pink Floyd's more 'democratic' efforts of the earlier years. As mentioned, even the film scores are worth checking out. Obscured by Clouds is a beautiful record, and criminally overlooked. Zabriskie Point has some great moments too.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4uYFTbj-VuVCTeaTfy2UtqMZhmsaYKI-

You might also want to check out Gilmour's first solo album, which is short of Roger's narrative content but heavy on the melody, as David is usually known for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBfBLWeiWuA

Check out how "Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Part IX" was sounding by 1977:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnD7Peszi7Q

"Mudmen" from Obscured by Clouds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPNSOHnD-ho

Lots of goodies you can preview on Youtube....

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2016, 02:37 pm »
Sligthly off-topic, I can recommend Nick Mason's Inside Out: A Personal History of Pink Floyd, as well as
Nicholas Schaffner's classic Saucerful of Secrets ... but they're watchamacalitts ... books ... and therefore by their very nature, non-audible.

Don_S

« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2016, 02:44 pm »
Thanks for all the recommendations.  You guys came through in spades.  I am overwhelmed.  :o  I did not realize PF had been so prolific.

I will take special note of release dates.  i.e. pre or post The Wall

I think I will start slowly with one or two.  So far I am thinking Pulse CD. It does repeat a lot of tracks I already have but I do have a fondness for live done well. For my second pick I would like something entirely new.

FYI, I did forget to mention I have David Gilmour's Live in Gdañsk.  It does not engage me.  A little too dreamy and dragged out. 

jriggy

« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2016, 03:15 pm »
Thanks for all the recommendations.  You guys came through in spades.  I am overwhelmed.  :o  I did not realize PF had been so prolific.

I think I will start slowly with one or two.  So far I am thinking Pulse CD. It does repeat a lot of tracks I already have but I do have a fondness for live done well. For my second pick I would like something entirely new.

FYI, I did forget to mention I have David Gilmour's Live in Gdañsk.  It does not engage me.  A little too dreamy and dragged out.

Despite my previous recommendation, Ill have to say you should make Meddle your second pick for now. It really is an Epic album.

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 21 Aug 2016, 03:16 pm »

If you are unfamiliar with early Floyd then you are really in for a treat.

I say to hell with Pulse and go straight to Live in Pompeii! (actually, I'm not sure if its available on CD)