Best sounding bands in concert

drphoto

Best sounding bands in concert
« on: 1 Aug 2016, 01:47 am »
As a part time live sound engineer and life long audio nut, my all time favorite is Lyle Lovett. His front of house sound man is the gold standard in my book. Of course, Lyle always plays at venues that have good acoustics. But damn, the sound is flawless. Last time he was in town, I wanted to go down to the venue during load in and see what gear they were running, I'll bet it was something like Meyer, EAW or K array speakers, probably Midas console.& Crown amps (hard to beat for live sound)

For best sounding rock band, I'd have to give nod to Moody Blues. I'm not a huge fan of theirs. I mean, it's not like I don't like them, just never listened to them much. My ex took me to see at the Arnoff in Cincy. Wow, just amazing sound. Of course, another acoustically good venue.It was clean, clear, loud, but not overwhelming.

Whadya all think?

brooklyn

Re: Best sounding bands in concert
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2016, 05:20 am »
Best sounding concert I ever attended was George Benson at Radio City Music Hall NYC
back in the late 80’s early 90’s. It was like listening to a hi-end audio system only live..
He and his band was superb.

ACHiPo

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2016, 05:26 am »
Lyle Lovett and his Large Band at the Mountain Winery in Saratoga, CA.  Sounded like a great home system playing his studio albums with the energy and crowd of a live event.

Also saw Chicago there this Summer, and they were also fantasic.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2016, 12:01 am »
I used to live in the DC area and I always enjoyed the sound of the semi-outdoor Merriweather Post Pavilion.

martinr

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2016, 12:22 am »
Lyle Lovett at the Vilar Center in Beaver Creek Co. A couple of years ago sounded excellent.   The best sounding show I have seen is the Pat Metheny group at the Wheeler Opera house in Aspen Co.....simply outstanding!

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2016, 12:32 am »
Wish I could contribute but I can't recall ever hearing a good sounding live band. Never even occurred to me. And, I'll probably never hear one as I always wear earplugs at live events now.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2016, 12:34 am »
I did a gig one time with the band I've worked with the longest. It was in an excellent room with nearly perfect acoustics, plus we had time to go in and do a full on sound check for once.

Man, it was incredible. I thought, this is what I want my home audio to sound like. Every instrument just floated in it's own space. Tonally it was spot on. The bass had real weight and impact. And we where using a fairly low rent sound system. Mid high speakers were powered Mackies, of course they were the model with the pretty well regarded RCF drivers. 2 pair of JBL/crown powered 18" subs.

I don't run super loud. I probable back off volume more than any local sound man.

BTW: last time I saw Lyle I went up to FoH house guy and told him how impressed I was with his work. Sound man never gets any credit. It doesn't hurt that Lyle also hire some of the best backing musicians in the business.

Oh....Yes in the round, way back in the 80's seemed good to me at the time.

cheers all........keep 'em coming. Glad to hear lot of votes for Lyle!

And yeah, I wear earplugs at most shows, but don't need to for Lyle's gigs.

Dmason

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:43 am »
Worked Yes in the round, 1978. Clair Brothers Audio ...Altec, JBL, Crown, Westrex, Neve tube processors, fabulous radial, flown set up shorter throw than from the end of the venue. Magical sound and band.

drphoto

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2016, 02:10 am »
Super cool Dman, yeah forgot to mention Clair Bros. That's the former ShowCo....right? Awesome gear. Invented Varilite. I saw the first public debut of that system with Genesis, (who tossed in a cool $1M) to develop that tech. now moving heads are everywhere.

Altec huh? Didn't they develop their own line.

My personal fave is Meyer, then EAW. K array is great but just stupid expensive. Hell their club' rig is $20K.

I think my dream rig for local gigs would be 12" EAW tops, JBL 18" subs, a rack of crowns, and a Midas M 32 console. & maybe a Lexicon delay unit.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2016, 02:11 am »
The best sounding band I ever heard in concert was a couple weeks ago, Chris Botti (trumpet), Deer Creek Resort Amphitheater in Park City, UT.

The sound quality exceeded many high end systems.  A live band played in my sound room (two guitars, electric bass, drum kit), w/a drummer who attempts to rip the drum kit apart.  The drum kit sound in Chris Botti's band had similar effect on the sound reinforcement system (outdoors no less), especially that snare drum "whack" you feel in your gut, the effect reserved only for horns in home reproduction. 

It doesn't hurt that his drummer and pianist are among the world's best.  Bass player (electric and double bass) not far behind.  Guitarist was superb, but just lacked that special touch and flare of the other artists. 

Several times during the show I thought this was the best sound reinforcement I ever heard.  How good was it?  After the show I walked up to the sound guy and complemented him.  At that moment another guy appeared from the other direction and told him he was there to say the same thing. 

It's a tie, but for different reasons, for my best all time live show, Sting a few years ago in Denver vs. Chris Botti.  I'd travel to another State to hear Chris.  He had a male singer guest who sang like Andrea Bocelli and a female violinist who just kicked butt, plus a female black jazz singer that almost had me and others crying tears she was so good.  She appears off L stage, walking and singing among the audience, then Chris follows her out and meets her, wailing on the horn.   

I mentioned to the sound guy the violinist's wistful, mysterious sound effect, and asked if it was her or his effects on the board.  He said it was a little of both.  He's been with Chris for years and years.   

I've seen Dylan and many other superb artists at this amphitheater.  They all paled by comparison Re. sound quality.

The sound quality was pretty bad at the start of the Sting concert (indoors), but a few songs later it was much improved.  By the time they played a 10+ minute instrumental with insane 5 minute violin solo, the sound was gorgeous, mesmerizing.  The last encore of several, w/Sting solo/alone, classical guitar, on a wood stool, black background w/two spot lights, singing "Fields Of Gold" was like he was singing for you alone in your living room (several thousand at this concert venue, huge).  Absolutely glorious. 

But still, one if not two clear notches below Botti for sound quality.

Chris is a totally unique blend of jazz, pop, rock, new age effects, etc....see him. 

"Commercial" sized rooms have bass modes same as "domestic" sized rooms, the difference being that the former's modes are all so low that they are in-audible (sub audio).  I tend to believe the complete lack of bass modes is the biggest audible difference between commercial and domestic playback, in some cases outweighing the domestic advantage of higher resolution amplifiers and speakers, an opinion consistent with some of the comments in this thread. 

Audible bass modes in domestic rooms degrade and distort bass timing.  In some cases, bass modes distort bass pitch, and the room plays a distorted pitch while the new bass note starts.  It's difficult to overestimate the damage this does to the overall presentation.  I got a kick out of a DIY member who wrote, "My speakers don't distort pitch."  That is a mouthful requiring a long reply.  Suffice to say, even if one's speakers "do not distort pitch," certain "power responses" properly portray pitch better than do others, at least so says Dr. Floyd Toole and others.  And to deny that the room's bass modes distort bass pitch is mathematically false. 

VonHess

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2016, 03:09 am »
I've seen Cheap Trick probably 15 times, mostly in the 90's so in smaller venues.  Always sound great. Of course they've had 40 years practice. 

Odal3

« Reply #11 on: 7 Aug 2016, 12:08 pm »
The best sounding band I ever heard in concert was a couple weeks ago, Chris Botti (trumpet), Deer Creek Resort Amphitheater in Park City, UT.

That is a beautiful venue with all the mountains surrounding it. I was there a few weeks ago and watched a local band.

Klavierman

« Reply #12 on: 19 Aug 2016, 07:05 pm »
ELP back in 1975 or so. As loud or louder than a 747 jet, but clear as a bell. I think they were using Phase Linear amps--they toured with their own sound system and made quite a big deal of the quality of their equipment.

undertow

« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2016, 08:12 pm »
I saw Pink Floyds last tour in 1994, Soldier field Chicago Pre-high school with my mother, and I don't know, and almost doubt if anybody can match the insane quality of sound created from a tour like that with music like that again. And it was as loud as any Metallica concert, and just about as scary as an earthquake  :thumb:

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2018, 03:04 pm »
Listened to Deep Purple- Live in Denmark 1972 video. This was recorded just prior to their release of Machine Head. The set list was that found on Made in Japan.

This was a band that in concert came to play! Extended versions of their songs not the abbreviated Studio album version.:smoke:

simon wagstaff

« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2018, 04:41 pm »
Best sounding, best sound system? Grateful Dead.

Samac

« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2018, 04:56 pm »
Rush

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2018, 05:09 pm »
The best sounding bands I've heard have all been in one place, the St. Michelle Winery in Woodenville WA. It's a small outdoor venue and the sound you can get there is amazing.

So. the best is tough for me since I have heard several bands there that were incredibly tight and you could  tell every single person on that stage was an excellent musician.

I guess the very best would have to be Robert Plant x2. Both times he's been there the quality of the musicians with him and the show itself were crazy good.

Next would have to be Steely Dan. Another band who uses incredible studio musicians and Donald Fagen is masterful.

There are several others that would come close but I don't think they belong with these two.

By the way Lyle plays there almost every year, guess I should go ahead and see them sometime.

fredgarvin

« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2018, 06:08 pm »
One of the best venues for good sound around here is the Roseland (old Paramount) theater in Portland. I've seen many there, probably the best sound set up was George Benson, Pat Matheny, Return to Forever and having seen him several times, SRV at the Roseland was his best show . Sound and performance.

dflee

« Reply #19 on: 19 May 2018, 06:34 pm »
Most memorable: Genesis, Lamb lies down on Broadway, Chicago
Most intimate: Keb Mo, Greensboro Theater, GNBO, NC
Most professional: Jethro Tull, Outdoors, Raleigh NC
Most fun: Doctor John, Greensboro Theater, GNBO NC
Some venues don't have the best of sound but the bands are all the best sounding.
Saw Lyle in RI at the folk festival. Background noise (castle wall) was horrendous but man was he good.
Ray Charles sounded great in the Greensboro symphony hall with the orchestra behind him.
Leon Russell in a crummy little place in Kill Devil Hill but god did he sound good.

Don