SACD ripping using a PS3

Phil A

Re: SACD ripping using a PS3
« Reply #100 on: 8 Jan 2013, 04:17 am »
Sometimes the PS3 does funny things.  I have the non-SACD one as a Blu-Ray player in the bedroom system and about 3 months ago it would not play a newer Blu-Ray disc and gave me a message that I needed to update the firmware.  So I did and the disc played.  I had a 4G USB thumb drive originally and some files are bigger (and if you read Ted's instructions a disc over 4G will produce files that need to be joined).  I picked up a 32G for around $20 from memory and it could be me, but it seems to rip faster with the 32G thumb drive.  I've been ripping 3 to 5 discs at a time.  Don't want it to over heat and also at the same time I've been backing up ISO files onto Blu-Rays (will do a hard drive too - just an extra step to have a couple of copies on hard drives and just in case have the media - just overly cautious on my part as I don't want to lose the data).

bprice2

« Reply #101 on: 8 Jan 2013, 04:47 am »
Thanks for sharing some real world experience with me.  I'm totally new to the PS3 and most of this stuff is a little foreign to me. 

How large is a typical ISO?  Will a 32G thumb drive, like you do, be enough for all SACDs?

Phil A

« Reply #102 on: 8 Jan 2013, 04:53 am »
Thanks for sharing some real world experience with me.  I'm totally new to the PS3 and most of this stuff is a little foreign to me. 

How large is a typical ISO?  Will a 32G thumb drive, like you do, be enough for all SACDs?

It varies (and I have not figured out details as to why they vary - guess it depends on how they are authored) but some are less than 1G, I have a couple over 5G and if I had to guess the average it probably is between 3G and 3.5G.  You would want to rip on the thumb drive and store it and back it up somewhere else.  Depending on how many you have, hard drives are not all that expensive

bprice2

« Reply #103 on: 8 Jan 2013, 05:06 am »
Good info.  Thanks.

bulldogger

« Reply #104 on: 8 Jan 2013, 05:57 am »
:(

The person I bought it from stated the the version was 3.55. Turns out it is really 4.3.1. So I have to discuss it with him and see about getting my funds returned.
That seems to be a common problem.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #105 on: 8 Jan 2013, 10:15 am »
Yes, ISOs are varied in size due to two main issues.  One, if they are stereo only, and do not contain any multichannel layer content, they tend to be less than 2gb.  Second, those hybrid SACD discs produce ISOs larger than that when they have full5.1 multichannel content and little compression (called DST).  When I extract to DSF I always choose the extract DSF DST bat file cuz it looks for DST and decompresses it if it sees it.  No downside.

I am not a network ripper either, and so my PDF has only the stock network ripping instructions.  I rip to USB thumb drives and usually use a 16gb one.  That way I make sure I don't rip more than 4 or 5 without shutting down the process and letting the Ps3 cool down.  I then transfer the ISos to my pc and repeat and rinse.  :)

(at gate waiting for my 6am flight to CES...will report back)

wisnon

« Reply #106 on: 8 Jan 2013, 10:27 am »
I find that files greater in size than 4.5gb will NOT copy to thunb drive after joining, so only a network connection can get it to my Hard drive.

Phil A

« Reply #107 on: 8 Jan 2013, 01:08 pm »
Files over 4G get produced in 2 files that need to be joined with a free program after the rip and it creates an ISO file which can be copied to a thumb drive.  I'm copying the ISO files to Blu-Rays which are configured as a thumb drive.  It is in Ted's instructions.  It is a simple process.  I did a few last night.

wisnon

« Reply #108 on: 8 Jan 2013, 04:53 pm »
Files over 4G get produced in 2 files that need to be joined with a free program after the rip and it creates an ISO file which can be copied to a thumb drive.  I'm copying the ISO files to Blu-Rays which are configured as a thumb drive.  It is in Ted's instructions.  It is a simple process.  I did a few last night.

I have ripped over 40 discs but only 2 were ever over 4.5gb and they would not copy to my 32gb thumb drive or my 64gb drive either.

I have joined over 10 disc files since a year now...

Phil A

« Reply #109 on: 8 Jan 2013, 05:07 pm »
I've only joined about a couple of dozen discs.  Those ISO files over 4GB rip in 2 pieces (I use a 32G thumb drive on the PS3) and I have joined them on the computer and then been able to copy the joined files.  I did have a problem with one disc where I was able to join it (and get an ISO file) and copy it but it would not extract .dff files.  I've been configuring Blu-Rays to operate as a thumb drive (to back-up ISO files as an extra step of precaution) and have dozens of Blu-Rays with files many of which are over 4.5GB.  No problems copying them once they are joined.

wisnon

« Reply #110 on: 8 Jan 2013, 05:48 pm »
I had no probs with file at  4.2gb, but...

clang

« Reply #111 on: 9 Jan 2013, 11:07 pm »
Is it possible to rip the stereo layer only? I don't listen to multi-channel so a lot of time and space can be saved.

Phil A

« Reply #112 on: 10 Jan 2013, 12:04 am »
Is it possible to rip the stereo layer only? I don't listen to multi-channel so a lot of time and space can be saved.

It rips the disc image.  Once you have the image (ISO) file, you can extract what you want and use that to playback.  It's a good idea to back up the ISO files (in process of doing it).  I'll eventually at some point probably do some multi-channel of things I like but I've been just extracting the stereo DSD files.

clang

« Reply #113 on: 10 Jan 2013, 10:51 pm »
Thanks, Phil. I suppose I'll understand the process more when I get around to actually doing it.

steve m

« Reply #114 on: 11 Jan 2013, 11:57 pm »
Hi,

Newbie here with computer audio.  In your considerable experiences, do hirez downloads on the various paid sites that have been ripped via a PS3 sound better than the original SACD disc played through a high quality audiophile SACD player?

Cheers,

Steve.

todd95008

« Reply #115 on: 24 Jan 2013, 10:36 pm »
Over on the HDMI de-embedder thread I have heard that converting the DSD to PCM files is a better way to go (sound quality Vs jittery HDMI). I gave some SACD's to a friend who ripped the ISO file and gave me converted 2ch DSD to FLAC (via Foobar2000) files as well.
The flac files are 24bit/88.2khz and are about 6dB lower in volume Vs SACD (why that is I have no idea ?).
When I raise the volume to compensate I find something is missing at best ??
I thought I may play around with the ISO file myself (I have Foobar2k with SACD plugin) but I'm wondering if this is a good tool for pcm conversion. Anything better for the conversion or is this a foobar setting issue ?
In foobar I can load the ISO directly but if I get a virtual image drive set up, can I get the DSD files directly ??
My goal is to ditch the de-embedder and be able to play the files from Oppo bdp93 coax out to my Bryston DAC..

Any help will be appreciated !

Todd

wisnon

« Reply #116 on: 24 Jan 2013, 11:08 pm »
Extract to DSF files and use Korg Audiogate to convert to 24/176.4 format in PCM, (quad speed). This will be the optimal transition rate to PCM.

Phil A

« Reply #117 on: 25 Jan 2013, 12:56 am »
Hi,

Newbie here with computer audio.  In your considerable experiences, do hirez downloads on the various paid sites that have been ripped via a PS3 sound better than the original SACD disc played through a high quality audiophile SACD player?

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve, welcome to the forum.  I have not gotten to listen to the DSD files yet.  I just got my DSD DAC, I have a couple of 3TB Oyen Digital drives that hopefully UPS will get to me tomorrow and I have the HAL MS-2 music server on order.  So hopefully I'll get to hear DSD files shortly. I can tell you this I have a couple of decent SACD players (I guess it depends on what one calls high quality and I certainly have not heard every player out there and also what is in the system with it).  Just what I'm getting via an HMDI audio de-embedder (there's a long long thread on taking hi-rez to your DAC which basically is 24/88.2 PCM fed into the DAC converted in the player and I've gone through the process with a few DACs), I prefer overall vs. what I hear playing the SACD via the analog outs.  With no spinning disc (and an SACD player is something that probably is going to have a shorter lifespan than a DAC), I can't imagine it not getting better and I've heard ripped SACDs playing at 24/176.4 into a DAC in my system via music server.  I'm fairly new to computer audio as well.

tonyptony

« Reply #118 on: 25 Jan 2013, 02:20 am »
Hmm, something very odd just happened. I went to rip another SACD with my already hacked PS3. I turned it on (it'd been powered off with the rear toggle for a while), slipped in the SACD, plugged in the USB stick... and couldn't find my previously installed sacd-ripper routine. It's gone somehow. I can't figure out what happened. I've already used this PS3 to rip a number of my SCADs.  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Never mind. Old man brain fart.  :duh:

Phil A

« Reply #119 on: 25 Jan 2013, 02:46 am »
Hmm, something very odd just happened. I went to rip another SACD with my already hacked PS3. I turned it on (it'd been powered off with the rear toggle for a while), slipped in the SACD, plugged in the USB stick... and couldn't find my previously installed sacd-ripper routine. It's gone somehow. I can't figure out what happened. I've already used this PS3 to rip a number of my SCADs.  :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Never mind. Old man brain fart.  :duh:

I thought for a minute you might have ripped this last    http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/708     :lol: