BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #920 on: 2 Feb 2015, 12:32 am »
Hi all,

I'd like to know how is the internal harddrive in the BDP-2 is access thru the network ?

How can we load it with music files ?

Is it a standard "Windows Share" or do we need to FTP into it or another method ?

(Sorry for the double post, I've posted a similar question here about a week ago but didn't received any answers...  If I'm on the wrong forum, please correct me.)

Thank you for your time!

Rod_S

« Reply #921 on: 2 Feb 2015, 12:13 pm »
Ooof. No idea. I love dbPoweramp, you're getting a great product.

I highly recommend you make some hard choices first though. Decide for certain what folder and file name format you want to go with. Do you want albums with disc to all be in the same folder, but include "disc 1" in the file name? Do you want to have the folder structure show which disc you have? Do you want to use the default album art, or do through and use Album Art Exchange or something else to manually select album art? Do you want all of your album art the same size (1000x1000, 600x600, etc).

None of these will affect quality, just how you use/interface with the rips.

I'd suggest you get two cd's with one artist and one disc, two cds with multiple artists and one disc, a soundtrack, and a classical disc. Rip those and see how the file names and structures work. Then, if you make any changes, you don't have to redo your whole library!

I didn't do that, and when i got about 100 discs into it, I decided I wanted to catalog stuff in a different manner. It was easier to re-rip everything than to manually rename it. So, plan ahead, then start your ripping.

So I purchased the software over the weekend. Unfortuately I don't yet have an application to view the stuff in so I'm not able to tell how fussy I'm going to be about things like different sized album art like you mentioned because I could see as I was ripping some the album art file sizes differed ranging from like 300x300 up to 1000x1000. I do like that you could add multiple images like back covers etc. and take an image directly from the scanner by the looks of it. I didn't experiment with this yet though. Do you know if you can add additional images or change your default choice once the album has been ripped? I don't even know what application would be used for that.

I ripped a number of albums with minimal Flac compression i.e. the 0 setting and some with the highest i.e. 8. I'll probably do some in the uncompressed option as well. Does any of this have an impact on the end result i.e. audio qualty or is it literally just how small or large you want your files to be since in the end all of the options are lossless.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #922 on: 3 Feb 2015, 01:50 am »
On paper the BDP will simple work harder to decompress the pcm.  If you intend on using the web interface, the BDP will make a copy of the existing cover are and resize it to 250x250 and smaller for the various views and will only use the original in the center of the default view.  This will be proportional to your viewing area, although 300x300 could be a tad pixely as the default filler Bryston image is 466x466.

Cheers
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #923 on: 3 Feb 2015, 01:52 am »
Hi all,

I'd like to know how is the internal harddrive in the BDP-2 is access thru the network ?

How can we load it with music files ?

Is it a standard "Windows Share" or do we need to FTP into it or another method ?

(Sorry for the double post, I've posted a similar question here about a week ago but didn't received any answers...  If I'm on the wrong forum, please correct me.)

Thank you for your time!

The web interface portion is a little dated as it's loony loon rather then manic moose

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjn2HSd6b8

Cheers

AJAudio

• The sweet sound of music...
« Reply #924 on: 3 Feb 2015, 02:35 am »
@unincognito

Thanks for the link.

Most informative.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #925 on: 3 Feb 2015, 08:52 am »
So I purchased the software over the weekend. Unfortuately I don't yet have an application to view the stuff in so I'm not able to tell how fussy I'm going to be about things like different sized album art like you mentioned because I could see as I was ripping some the album art file sizes differed ranging from like 300x300 up to 1000x1000. I do like that you could add multiple images like back covers etc. and take an image directly from the scanner by the looks of it. I didn't experiment with this yet though. Do you know if you can add additional images or change your default choice once the album has been ripped? I don't even know what application would be used for that.

I ripped a number of albums with minimal Flac compression i.e. the 0 setting and some with the highest i.e. 8. I'll probably do some in the uncompressed option as well. Does any of this have an impact on the end result i.e. audio qualty or is it literally just how small or large you want your files to be since in the end all of the options are lossless.

WAV vs FLAC or other lossless compression sound quality has been debated in the past. I remember some series of articles in one publication where the author tested WAV vs FLAC vs FLAC converted back to WAV. For me, I can't tell any difference. I use FLAC and the default compression size that dbPoweramp sets.

I can't speak for Mac. If you're using windows, you can examine the folder/file structure just as you would any other computer data files, using the Windows Explorer. For all my album artwork, I download from www.AlbumArtExchange.com. My preferred size right now is 1000x1000, but I have no technical basis for that choice. In addition to the image size, you'll notice the file size of the image can change dramatically. One 750x750 file may be 80KB, while another may be 1.2MB. That is due to compression. Much like mp3 files, image files can be compressed and made much smaller, but you will lose some detail. The more it's compressed, the more detail is lost. I'm more concerned with the image quality than the image size. After all, most software interfaces will resize the image anyway, just as Chris said the BDP interface does.

You can then go into Windows Explorer into a folder that contains all the FLAC files from one CD. Select all the files. Right click your mouse and select "Edit ID-Tag". From there, you can remove and add album art to all of the selected files. If you wanted to add or change the album art for just one file, just select only that file.

Once you decide how you want to store your collection, it becomes a pretty smooth process. I had to write down exactly what I did though. After I ripped my existing library, it was several months before I had more discs to rip. By that time, I didn't remember exactly what I had settled on. Fortunately for me, I kept notes and was able to get back to it with little stress and relearning.

- Garrett

The author of dbPoweramp ("Spoon") was pretty responsive to posts in the forum he runs for dbPoweramp too. If you run into a problem or have a question about the software, you can try there too. https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/forumdisplay.php?9-dBpoweramp

Rod_S

« Reply #926 on: 3 Feb 2015, 12:14 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.

Rod_S

« Reply #927 on: 6 Feb 2015, 07:45 pm »
Does Manic Moose, MPOD, MPAD, etc. have the ability to display and scroll through various pictures for a single album? For example if I scan all pages from a typical CD booklet, can all of that be viewed?

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #928 on: 10 Feb 2015, 01:58 am »
Does Manic Moose, MPOD, MPAD, etc. have the ability to display and scroll through various pictures for a single album? For example if I scan all pages from a typical CD booklet, can all of that be viewed?

We have considered adding the feature, but it's very low in our list of priorities

Rod_S

« Reply #929 on: 10 Feb 2015, 01:35 pm »
Thanks

This saves me a lot of time and effort then as I would have done this after I finish ripping all of my CD's. I'm about half way through now. Since 99.99% of my CD's are store bought I actually have all of the liner notes that I could scan in and add to the photo sets.

lycia

« Reply #930 on: 10 Feb 2015, 08:53 pm »
A question re the 9B SST2. I have not been able to obtain an answer to this on the Bryston Technical Support page so I will try here:

Is it possible to change the face plate (in this case from silver to black) on a do-it-yourself basis given the presence of the on/off switch and the 5 LEDs?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #931 on: 10 Feb 2015, 09:36 pm »
A question re the 9B SST2. I have not been able to obtain an answer to this on the Bryston Technical Support page so I will try here:

Is it possible to change the face plate (in this case from silver to black) on a do-it-yourself basis given the presence of the on/off switch and the 5 LEDs?

Hi

Its not easy so would recommend factory only.

james

lycia

« Reply #932 on: 10 Feb 2015, 09:44 pm »
Thank you, James.

scheiner

« Reply #933 on: 14 Feb 2015, 12:43 am »
I'm trying to update BDP-1 firmware without success. Any clue? Thank

Downloading firmware filesystem
0 100% @2716
Downloading boot drivers
0 100% @2645
Downloading vmlinuz image
0 100% @2606
Running Filesystem Check: 25ab5d749f904e236e4437fc34a548da /lib/live/mount/medium/live/filesystem.new
: Filsystem Check Failed: md5 values different
Should Be:
Calculated: 25ab5d74
You should try redownloading this version of the firmware and try again
-

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #934 on: 14 Feb 2015, 03:51 am »
If I use my iPod touch to control the BDP-1 through the interface, will it do all the same functions as the Bryston remote will? If so, great, if not, what will both the Touch and Bryston remote be able to control?

the remote will power a bdp off and on, i generally only recommend getting the remote if you also have our dac and one of our preamps preamp/integrated amps.

David Lester

« Reply #935 on: 1 Mar 2015, 06:09 am »
How long does it take to update a 500 Gb hard drive with 1100 mp3 and FLAC files (16 Gb)? I am using a BDP-1 and MM 2.05 firmware. It has been updating for hours now. Using LL firmware it took only a few minutes. Any comments?

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #936 on: 1 Mar 2015, 03:26 pm »
How long does it take to update a 500 Gb hard drive with 1100 mp3 and FLAC files (16 Gb)? I am using a BDP-1 and MM 2.05 firmware. It has been updating for hours now. Using LL firmware it took only a few minutes. Any comments?

Thanks

Hi

Should only take about 5 minutes or so.

james

haxter1

« Reply #937 on: 1 Mar 2015, 05:08 pm »
I had this problem until I read in the manual that one should power off the BDP, Reboot it and when the two little vertical lines on the bottom of the display become a solid square insert the drive.  Then the U should appear and the update will run as it should. 

scheiner

« Reply #938 on: 17 Mar 2015, 03:24 pm »
I sent an email to support with my service ID hoping that someone would return to me to help upgrading firmware. Absolutly no response ... and also no response on my post from Feb 14th. Very disappointed with Bryston. Poor support.

BrysTony

« Reply #939 on: 17 Mar 2015, 04:15 pm »
I sent an email to support with my service ID hoping that someone would return to me to help upgrading firmware. Absolutly no response ... and also no response on my post from Feb 14th. Very disappointed with Bryston. Poor support.

Have you checked to see if your firmware has been upgraded?

Tony