Birdman: "Buy a ticket and brace yourself"

brother love

Birdman: "Buy a ticket and brace yourself"
« on: 31 Dec 2014, 08:10 pm »
I know this has been out a few months, but just saw Birdman recently at a nearby cinema & WOW, what a mind blower!  Hard to explain, but it is a raw, riveting, gut-wrenching, seriously dark comedy/ drama roller-coaster of a ride. The cinematography is phenomenal, unlike anything I have ever seen.  Michael Keaton delivers the performance of his life. Ed Norton provides a strong supporting role (seriously under-rated actor IMO).  My wife left shaking her head saying it was "life altering". I have to agree. A must see for any serious movie lover. 

I always liked Rolling Stone's Peter Travers movie reviews & his Birdman review sums it up very well:

"I'm jazzed by every tasty, daring, devastating, howlingly funny, how'd-they-do-that minute in Birdman. Like all movies that soar above the toxic clouds of Hollywood formula and defy death at the box office, Alejandro G. Iñárritu's cinematic whirlwind will bring out the haters. They can all go piss off. Birdman is a volcano of creative ideas in full eruption. Buy a ticket and brace yourself."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/birdman-20141016

stlrman

Re: Birdman: "Buy a ticket and brace yourself"
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2015, 01:04 am »
I read some super positive reviews of this movie. I will be watching this dvd on my new hometheater screen.
Looking forward to it!!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2015, 05:49 am »
I agree it was amazing.  I'm not sure it's the Best Picture of the year (lots of strong contenders, including my personal favorite of the year, Boyhood) but it was stellar.   Keaton deserves an Oscar nomination at a minimum and should legitimately be in the running.  Norton and Watts were excellent as usual.  And I was surprised by Emma Stone.  I've always thought she was okay as an actress but she really got a chance to shine here.  I guess it just took the right role to bring out her talent.  Zach Galifianakis is also great in a rare role as the straight-man to everyone else's absurdity.

Birdman is a truly excellent film!  Highly recommended. :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2015, 06:27 am »
Zach Galifianakis is also great in a rare role as the straight-man to everyone else's absurdity.

This film is the only performance of his I would legitimately call great.

Birdman is a great film. I was so engrossed in the story that I missed the technical perfection of the camerawork so I look forward to seeing it again. It's certainly a hoot for anyone who's been involved in theater.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 8 Jan 2015, 07:50 am »
This film is the only performance of his I would legitimately call great.

Birdman is a great film. I was so engrossed in the story that I missed the technical perfection of the camerawork so I look forward to seeing it again. It's certainly a hoot for anyone who's been involved in theater.

Agreed!  The writing and acting are so compelling that you almost overlook the fact that it's a technical tour de force as well.  The soundtrack is masterfully integrated into the film and actually becomes a character at times.  The cinematography is also stellar.  It's hard to overstate just how great this film is!  It should make waves at the Oscars.

As for Zach G, I agree.  He rarely if ever has been given a chance to stretch beyond the goofball comedies that are his bread and butter.  Whether it 'works' due to his talent or just the disconnect between our expectations and his character is hard to say.  But his performance is nuanced and legitimately great.  He seems to be more than a one trick pony.

persisting1

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2015, 08:43 pm »
Just watched this. Such a great film. Easily one of the best that I've watched in a while.  Alejandro González Iñárritu deserves all the accolades he's amassed. Would not be surprised if this wins the Oscar for best film.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2015, 12:00 am »
I got to watch it then.

Thanks for the info.

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2015, 10:05 am »
Geez, I must be watching a completely different film...I've stopped/started it three times now out of boredom. I'm not connecting with it at all.  :duh:

srb

« Reply #8 on: 27 Feb 2015, 11:00 am »
Geez, I must be watching a completely different film...I've stopped/started it three times now out of boredom. I'm not connecting with it at all.  :duh:

You must be watching Birdman of Alcatraz (1962), The Bird Man (2012) or even more likely, the animated TV series Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law (2000-2007);)

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 27 Feb 2015, 01:22 pm »
You must be watching Birdman of Alcatraz (1962), The Bird Man (2012) or even more likely, the animated TV series Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law (2000-2007);)

LOL...that would explain it!

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 27 Feb 2015, 01:33 pm »
Have yet to see this, but one comment on Boyhood.

Boyhood set a new bar for the determination of a producer to film a move over a decade of time with the same actors. But all in all, it wasn't really an engaging film or a wonderful script IMO.

rocker9999

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2015, 02:01 pm »
Saw Birdman, never got into it. The cinematography was technically ground breaking, but with today's "image manipulation capability" what isn't?
Now, go watch "The Theory of Everything" - the acting blows Birdman out of the sky.
I never saw Michael Keaton as anyone other than Michael Keaton playing an actor. Watch "The Theory of Everything" and you'll see Eddie Redmayne become Stephen Hawking.

ajzepp

« Reply #12 on: 27 Feb 2015, 02:10 pm »
Saw Birdman, never got into it. The cinematography was technically ground breaking, but with today's "image manipulation capability" what isn't?
Now, go watch "The Theory of Everything" - the acting blows Birdman out of the sky.
I never saw Michael Keaton as anyone other than Michael Keaton playing an actor. Watch "The Theory of Everything" and you'll see Eddie Redmayne become Stephen Hawking.

That's the one I want to see next...that one and Imitation Game.

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
Re: Whiplash
« Reply #13 on: 27 Feb 2015, 04:06 pm »
Saw Whiplash on a plane ride 2 days ago then rented it last night to view/hear on my HT.  WOW!  Reminds me of a Mamet film.. Terrific casting, character profiles, set scenes and lighting.  This movie has it all including terrific sound/percussion.  Intense and riveting.. What a ride!  No better "Supporting Actor" in the 2014 crop of Oscar nominees IMO!

jonbee

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2015, 05:48 pm »
An entertaining movie, with excellent performances and tour-de-force direction and technical construction. Well worth watching more than once, anyway. Not quite a great movie, IMO, but this last year was a bust for great films, IMO.

wushuliu

« Reply #15 on: 28 Feb 2015, 05:16 pm »

Uhhh. I don't even know how to respond to that except to quote TBL: "obviously, you're not a golfer."

I never saw Michael Keaton as anyone other than Michael Keaton playing an actor. Watch "The Theory of Everything" and you'll see

Uhhh, that was kind of the point...oh never mind...

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 28 Feb 2015, 05:23 pm »
That's the one I want to see next...that one and Imitation Game.

I have to say the Brits have refined 'low budget' Oscar bait filmmaking to an art now.

persisting1

« Reply #17 on: 28 Feb 2015, 10:40 pm »
Uhhh, that was kind of the point...oh never mind...

The same thing crossed my mind. That's why the film worked so well.

Folsom

« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2015, 03:02 am »
Good, not great. I'd hoped for the bird ego to do more.

It was very well done. But it was a bit boring.

That might sound like a mediocre review but... I've been turning movies off or getting up to do something else a lot lately; since there's been so much suck coming out.

Emil

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2015, 03:28 pm »

Yep, saw it last night in my man cave via Amazon and was blown away....let me explain.

You all heard the drum sequences through out the movie? I have NEVER heard a truer reproduction of drums via my super-duper, costly audio system than what I've heard last night.... let me explain.

I watched via streaming video thru a Roku and processed via a $200 Yamaha digital receiver. Speaker cable was from Radio Shack connected to my Cornscala horn speakers that do double duty with my audio kit.

Somebody is screwing with me :lol: