LIO balance adjustment

newzooreview

LIO balance adjustment
« on: 16 Dec 2015, 12:50 am »
I just got my LIO (with XLR inputs!) and it's sounding great. I often sit off center (for reasons of dog on couch) and adjusting the balance is very convenient.

However, I have the Tube/AVC for the volume control, and I'm wondering if adjusting the balance applies different current to the tubes so that one will wear out before the other if I adjust it off center with some regularity. Or is the adjustment elsewhere in the circuit and the tubes remain equally loaded (so to speak).

Thanks!

BobRex

Re: LIO balance adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2015, 02:04 pm »
Balance affects the signal, not the bias.  So while the current does change depending upon the signal intensity, that "difference" won't cause premature wear of the tubes.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2015, 03:59 pm »
I just got my LIO (with XLR inputs!) and it's sounding great. I often sit off center (for reasons of dog on couch) and adjusting the balance is very convenient.

However, I have the Tube/AVC for the volume control, and I'm wondering if adjusting the balance applies different current to the tubes so that one will wear out before the other if I adjust it off center with some regularity. Or is the adjustment elsewhere in the circuit and the tubes remain equally loaded (so to speak).

Thanks!

Hi NZR,

Glad you are enjoying your LIO!

The balance adjustment is not in the tubestage at all.  It is in the AVC's (we simply offset the selected AVC "taps" on one side relative to the other).   

Using the balance control, at any balance setting, does not prematurely wear anything out at all.  Nor does it add anything to the signal path. 

So go ahead and use it and enjoy that feature!   :singing:

Vinnie

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2015, 03:40 pm »
Terrific!  :thumb: