DIY Project

adydula

• Restricted
DIY Project
« on: 4 Mar 2011, 03:52 am »
Ok I ordered a set of kit parts from glassjaraudio and will be building a SOHA II hybrid headphone amp!

I will post comments and the experience as we get started!!

This will give me something to do in my down times!!

This amp and its design and schematics can be found on www.cavalliaudio.com

Alex

mcgsxr

Re: DIY Project
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2011, 12:46 pm »
A very nice piece I am told, it was very much in contention when I ended up picking up my Millett Max Hybrid.

The real reason I chose the Millett over the SOHA, was that there was a builder local to me, and I am all tentacles when it comes to soldering...

Good luck with the build, and I hope that you will keep us in the loop as it progresses!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2011, 03:11 pm »
Hi,

I was torn between it and the all tube Bijou. After talking to the designer etc we decided on the SOHA II. There have been some issuses with the muting circuitry and dropouts, but i hope not to have these issues!! Time will tell.

It will probaby be a few weeks until i get the parts, hope sooner.

Parts coming from glassjaraudio in Sunnyvale, Ca.

Alex

tomwhite

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2011, 12:18 am »
A DIY project..sounds exciting!

Keep us posted on your progress.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2011, 09:44 pm »
Parts are finally on their way!! Hope to get these by the end of this coming week and start the adventure!!

Alex
 :D

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2011, 11:50 pm »
Cool. Thanks for the link, lots of nice info there  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2011, 03:12 am »
Well, the parts arrived and i spent a night going thru the parts and inventoried to make sure we have all the parts in the list of materials (BOM). Took the time to measure all the resistors, count the diodes, various transistors, voltage regulators, etc.

Here is the link of the headphone amp that I am building:

http://cavalliaudio.com/diy/soha%20ii/main.php?page=overview

You will find ciruit design information, schematics, board layout, wiring stuff and of course various mods to do after the build or during.

This amp can use both 6 volt and 12 volt heater tubes, via a set of jumpers or DPDT switch and a transformer upgrade. Which I am going to do.

So far the hardest thing is reading the really small letters and numbers on the small transistors, diodes, and various voltage devices. Had to get out the magnifying glass!!! LOL.

Have to take the time and make sure the right parts get installed in the right place, polarity, transistor EBC etc...measure, check and recheck.

The circuit board has small plated thru holes with not much soldering area and has been a pain to solder, but do-able.

I am about 1/3 done installing parts. The T0220 parts are mounted on a heatsink. and you need to install them correctly. I found going to the data sheet for the mounting kit provided diagrams that show how the parts go together.

Taking time to make sure solder joints are well done and no shorts to adjancent lands.

All in all its been fun re-discovering the are of DIY. Its not that hard to do, just common sense and do not be in hurry, if you have any doubts you can post or read the hundreds of comments at the SOHA II build thread at www.headfi.com

Well I hope to get this done in a few more days and start wiring it up to do initial setup. voltages etc..all this is explained on the site I listed above.

Then its on to mounting all the stuff into a nice box etc and mount knobs, on off switches , rca jacks, headphone jack, etc....

I will post more on the experience as it develops!

Alex

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2011, 08:46 pm »
Alex--Good stuff at the link as JohnR pointed out and I look forward to following the build as I would have been stuck at "Diode" and bailed out...LOL..have fun!! :thumb:

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #8 on: 26 Mar 2011, 01:45 am »
Alex, we want pictures!!
i love watching a DIY project progress..with pictures.  :thumb:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2011, 02:54 am »
Ok I will take some pix in the morning and post them, until then here is a partial 3D rendered image of the board I am working on:

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2011, 01:10 pm »
Pix...

The transformer!

4 hours of board work..

Ok back to soldering!..

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2011, 04:50 pm »
OK the basic board components are installed, cleaned off the flux with alcohol, checked for cold solder joints, so far so good....now for the initial power up and test point voltages checks..

Here is the 99% completed pix. Will mount the LM 337 H- regulator to the case via a heatsink. This is because I am going to wire up the amp to be used for 150ma and 300ma , 6.3V and 12V tubes. All explained at the cavalli audio site under DIY for the SOHA ii.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 26 Mar 2011, 05:44 pm »
That is great progress over a pretty short period of time - nice work, and I look forward to what you think of the sound!

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 27 Mar 2011, 04:38 pm »
Ok, the High voltage regulator for some reason is not regulating!!
I cant adjust the HV down to 60 volts.

So after checking for shorts, opens etc...I have ordered a new regulator.

So this puts off the adventure for a few days!

Just another a day in the life of a DIY'er!!  :D

later!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 29 Mar 2011, 04:30 pm »
While waiting on parts! (tomorrow I hope)  this is the case and how the board will be installed.
It fits in the slots in the case and a few standoffs to make sturdy.

I have some perforated RF screen coming that I might use for the entire top or parts of it.
This will give good ventilation etc.

The transformer will be replaced in about 3 weeks, to a beefier xmfr to be able to run 12 v heaters 300ma current. They are on backorder. The rube goldberg wiring is for the pwr switch, fuse and IEC to allow initial testing.

Still have to find a knob for the volume pot.

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 2 Apr 2011, 02:57 pm »
Well, it finally works, and sounds really nice, compared to three other headphone amps this is as good as if not better that the others.

I am installing in a case and will post some pix later.

Measuring heat temps on heatsinks with temp prob, some ground hum noise wide open, minimized by re-adjusting the transformer. Quite acceptable compared to other stuff with volume turned up wide open.

The tubes I have 5963's are very microphonic, doesnt seem to bother the sound, but on some headphones with different impedance its more noticeable when you tap a tube gently.

Have a new set of 12AU7's matched pair and will try these later next week when they arrive.

All in a a succesful build and well worth the sound quality...

Alex

:D

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 3 Apr 2011, 11:06 pm »
Heres a few pix of the finished product, I will add some lettering on the front of the panel.

The sound with my AKG 702's is nothing less than brilliant!

All the best
Alex

:D :D :D