Grado RS-1 vs. Sennheiser 650 Any good comparisons?

Adam_Reiter

« on: 15 Feb 2005, 10:11 pm »
Are there any good links that anyone knows about of a shootout between these two headphones?

Maybe even the RS-1 vs the 600's?

SET Man

« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2005, 10:23 pm »
Tough one. I don't know any link to site that did a shoot out. But I'm a Grado user. I have been using the SR 60 which is the least expensive one since 1996. Have been driven them with the built in tube amp in my '67 Akai R2R and they sound excellent.

My brother got a similar price Senheiser. They do sound differnt. The grado sound fuller could be dark for some and the Sen sound cleaner or could be bright for some.

But one thing for sure the Sen is harder to drive. So, if you ever get a Sen you will definately need a decent headphone amp. Grado is easier to drive even with portable player but they will benefit from a good headphone amp too.

Oh! this site might be helpful.

www.headphone.comhttp://

Goodluck,

Buddy  :thumb:

BradJudy

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2005, 11:30 pm »
Adam,

You should find plenty of thoughts on this topic over on head-fi.org if you search the forums.  A lot of it is religious debate, but you should be able to find useful info as well.

elcaptain88

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2005, 11:49 pm »
At one point I've used the Grado RS-2's and the SR-60's, I currently use the Senn HD650's - I've used all mainly with a Bryston B-60DA, which has a very good headphone output.

All of these are very good headphones - it really comes down to personal preferences and types of music. The RS-2's (and lower) were essentially more refined versions of the SR-60's. I felt both Grado models emphasized the highs (especially the SR60's), which gave the impression of more detail - they also have a more forward presentation (on stage). The SR-60's were a bit light in the bass. The HD650's are exceptional. They are more neutral than the Grados, have better bass, and really sound like good speakers. Their presentation is more '10th row' than on stage. I think they are fuller sounding and more realistic than the Grados - but I can certainly see where one would prefer the sound of the Grado's for certain types of music. The 650's require some juice, but contrary to all of the rumors out there they still sound good out of cheap equipment. I would give both a try - in the Grado line the SR-225 is actually the best value in my opinion. My HD650's also took a long time to break-in and sound good, much more so than the Grados did new.

elcaptain88

« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2005, 11:55 pm »
I forgot to mention that the HD650's are MUCH more comfortable than any of the Grados for longer listening - due to the fact that the pads rest on your head and not your ears like the Grados. All of the Grados have this design. After about and hour + w/ the Grados I would get ear burn, regardless of how I played around with the headband. Grados don't bother some people though - something else to consider.

ekovalsky

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2005, 12:52 am »
Unless your listening is mainly techno and hard rock I would definitely get the HD650s.  They are MUCH more comfortable and, to me, sounded more neutral than the Grados.  I've owned the SR325 and also an HP1000 (HP2).  I paid $295 for the latter about six years ago and sold them last year for $1k  :mrgreen:  They were great but I still preferred the Senns because of comfort and smoother sound.

Adam_Reiter

« Reply #6 on: 16 Feb 2005, 01:07 am »
Yeah, the Senn's certainly look MUCH more comfortable.

djbnh

« Reply #7 on: 16 Feb 2005, 04:08 am »
I suggest that there are strong preferences for and against the Grado house sound, and for and against Senns. It depends on what type of sound you're looking for. You don't mention what type listening you want to use them for,  which might help in decision making.

As for comfort, I have no issues with wearing Grados for long periods. I know some persons can't stand Grados, too. Then again, when I was growing up, my younger brother hated wearing wool because it initially scratched him, but he was kind of a wuss anyway. Some persons have no problem wearing wool.

If you want the Senn 650s, you might want to be prepared for a cable upgrade (try Larry at headphile, who also is developing a circumaural mod for Grados) and headamp purchase (Grados are 32 ohm , Senns are 300 ohm). I second the comment about doing a search on Head-Fi re: Grados and Senns. Some Senn fans like the 650s, some wonder what all the fuss is about. Sounds like a fine option is to do listening to both phones with your gear, then return the pair you don't want to keep - you could try Todd The Vinyl Junkie, who carries both.

I also note you don't mention the Alessandro Music Series Pro. If you're looking at the RS-1s, you'll probably want to audition the Alessandros, too.

Oh yeah, don't stay to long at Head-Fi, and "Sorry about your wallet."

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
grados
« Reply #8 on: 19 Feb 2005, 10:36 pm »
I have used the Grado 60's for 5 or six years now and have always been impressed with their sound, especially for the money.  I think I spent 60 or 70 bucks on them.  They are not the most comfortable cans in the world, and being a former radio geek, I've spent a huge amount of time with headphones on.  These are still the best value for the money that I've seen.  So if the bucks are an issue, I'd go with the Grados.

Of course, "that's just like, my opinion man" (the Dude).

DanaA

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2005, 07:07 am »
I own both the Senn 650's and Grado 225's.

As to the comfort issue, Senns are like cushions against your ears, whereas the Grados have a much more rough texture.

The Senns definitely need more juice to drive them.  A dedicated power amp is strongly recommended.  Grados also benefit from a power amp, but can live happily without having one.

As to the sound, the Senns are much smoother throughout the audio spectrum.  They are more laid back and, as was mentioned, give you a seat much further back in the auditorium.  I listen primarily to classical music and feel the Senns are simply superb in presenting a natural sound.

However, the Grados are extremely fun for times when I listen to rock and the like.  There's really no comparison as far as bands like Pink Floyd are concerned.  

So, at least to my ears, its a matter of what types of music you listen to and what your tastes are.

Hopefully, you can audition both before purchasing.

onemalt

« Reply #10 on: 5 Apr 2005, 09:34 pm »
Not a lot new to add here. I have both the RS-1 and HD-650. All the cliche stuff you've heard is pretty much right :
 - The Senns are like sitting in the 10th row center stage while the Grados put you right on the stage.
 - The Senns are great for Classical and Jazz while the Grados rock like nobody's business.
Etc, etc, etc.
I look at them as the Ying and Yang of headphones. They both have their place and I wouldn't give either of them up.
A little advice - always use a headphone amp, replace the bowl pads on the RS-1 with flats and ditch the stock cable on the HD-650 (try the Cardas or Zu).