Recommendations on active speakers and preamp

shsh

Recommendations on active speakers and preamp
« on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:51 am »
Hi all,

Currently I am using RDA S500 and KEF LS50, i want to get an active speaker as I do not want to go through the matching of amp and speakers.

Please give me some recommendations on active speakers and preamp.

Thank you

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Recommendations on active speakers and preamp
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2018, 03:11 am »
In the meantime, drive the wheels off of the search-box in the upper right-hand corner of this page. Try typing ' active '  in the box and go. If you find something that interests you, search again for that.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2018, 12:38 pm »
Check out my reply on your introduction thread.

dburna

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2018, 01:42 pm »
I have both the JBL 305s and the Neumann KH120s.  Recently swapped out the JBLs for the KH120s in my desktop environment and.....the KH120s are WAAAAAYYYY better.  I still think the JBLs are a great deal at their price point, but the KH120s are superior in nearly every way....as they should be considering they are 5x (at least) the price of the JBLs.

Your price point and room size will be determining factors here.  I had been using the KH120s in an A/V rig playing in a much bigger room.  For that, I think the bigger (and more expensive) KH310s would be a much better match.  In a near field listening environment, the KH120s are sublime.  They are $1.5k/pair, however. 

If your budget is between the JBLs and the KH120s, then there are a number of options.  Likewise, there are a number of options if you can go above $1.5k.  The other key is room size and how you plan to use them -- full range, augmented by a sub, near a back wall, out on stands in the room, etc.  We'd need to know a little bit more about your planned usage to be able to recommend something more specific.

Regards,  -dGB

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #4 on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:02 pm »
I have both the JBL 305s and the Neumann KH120s.  Recently swapped out the JBLs for the KH120s in my desktop environment and.....the KH120s are WAAAAAYYYY better.  I still think the JBLs are a great deal at their price point, but the KH120s are superior in nearly every way....as they should be considering they are 5x (at least) the price of the JBLs.

Your price point and room size will be determining factors here.  I had been using the KH120s in an A/V rig playing in a much bigger room.  For that, I think the bigger (and more expensive) KH310s would be a much better match.  In a near field listening environment, the KH120s are sublime.  They are $1.5k/pair, however. 

If your budget is between the JBLs and the KH120s, then there are a number of options.  Likewise, there are a number of options if you can go above $1.5k.  The other key is room size and how you plan to use them -- full range, augmented by a sub, near a back wall, out on stands in the room, etc.  We'd need to know a little bit more about your planned usage to be able to recommend something more specific.

Regards,  -dGB

dGB,

Thanks for the recommendation.

I've looked up the KH120's, I don't see measurements, but I do like/love the design idea: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KH120

I think a good/fair comparison would be the JBL 705's which are about $2K/pair: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR705P

Thanks again!

Anand.

dburna

« Reply #5 on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:29 pm »

I think a good/fair comparison would be the JBL 705's which are about $2K/pair: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR705P

I agree the comparison of the two models I cited are not a fair/apples-to-apples comparison.  I just wanted to give the OP a couple different choices at different price points.  Yes, the 705's are another one I would look at in that $1.5-2k range.  Built to a higher price point, I have no doubt the 705's outclass their "little brother".  That's where the OP's use case would dictate the best type of room-filling options. 

At their price points, you can't go wrong with any of these we are discussing.

You got me thinking -- I seem to recall there is a pro audio review somewhere that has KH120 measurements.  Now I will have to go see if I can find same if only for my own edification.

Regards,  -dGB

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 15 Feb 2018, 02:59 pm »
Some KH120 measurements on the Neumann site, click on "Measurements" over on the right ;)

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/neumann-kh/home_en.nsf/root/prof-monitoring_studio-monitors_nearfield-monitors_KH120A#

neekomax

« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2018, 03:49 pm »
I hear good things about these actives for a $400....

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-S2000pro-Bluetooth-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0725GZQFZ/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1518709553&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=edifier+s2000pro

And as far as a nice preamp, I also use the DSpeaker that JLM uses. It's good. Remote is chintzy though.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2018, 04:10 pm »
Some KH120 measurements on the Neumann site, click on "Measurements" over on the right ;)

http://www.neumann-kh-line.com/neumann-kh/home_en.nsf/root/prof-monitoring_studio-monitors_nearfield-monitors_KH120A#

Thank you sir!

A nice horizontal polar plot, me like! Gotta get my fix!  :rock:

Best,
Anand.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2018, 04:10 pm »
The KEF LS50W seems like an obvious suggestion. What's your price range?

dburna

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2018, 04:23 pm »

A nice horizontal polar plot, me like! Gotta get my fix!  :rock:

Anand, if you lived closer, I would lend you mine for a demo.  I could "manage" with just headphones for a little while.

Regards,  -dGB

P.S. If you like the KH120 plots, check out the KH 310s -- I think their plots are just a tad better.  Pricier, though.....sometimes you actually get what you pay for.  If I ever have to downsize from my Hornings in my main rig, I have given serious consideration to getting the KH310s.

shsh

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2018, 01:25 am »
Hi all, thanks for the recommendations.

My room size is 3 x 3m.

Current setup
EAT C Sharp > Whesttwo.2 phono > Antelope Plat Zodiac > RDA S500 > KEF LS50

I am looking at a higher range at 4 - 5K USD.

Does anyone have experience with Genelec G4/5?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 20 Feb 2018, 11:24 am »
Ouch, a small near cubic room - this makes for a horrible echo chamber at 110 Hz, 220 Hz, 440 Hz etc., recommend headphones until you can find a better room (seriously).  Can be somewhat mitigated by covering one wall in GIK 244 panels (or equivalent) and using a skewed (non-symmetrical) near-field setup (set up speakers/listening position in a 1 meter equilateral triangle about 0.5 meter from a wall/corner).

Genelec is known for good but expensive gear that exhibit a tilted up (high frequency emphasis) sound, great for those with hearing loss or need it for mixing purposes.  G5 is probably too much for that small (especially cubic) room.  KH120 would be a better choice for most folks in that room.  Again, this room is what headphones were made for.  I would invest less not more in gear until you have a better room.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2018, 02:28 pm »
Ouch, a small near cubic room - this makes for a horrible echo chamber at 110 Hz, 220 Hz, 440 Hz etc., recommend headphones until you can find a better room (seriously).  Can be somewhat mitigated by covering one wall in GIK 244 panels (or equivalent) and using a skewed (non-symmetrical) near-field setup (set up speakers/listening position in a 1 meter equilateral triangle about 0.5 meter from a wall/corner).

Gonna disagree strongly with this. My room is a perfect 12X12 square with a bump out in one corner for the entry door. It's also the best sounding room I've ever had my system in.

My speakers are set up in a diagonal configuration which in itself was a revelation. With the addition of floor to ceiling GIK tri traps in the corner behind the listening seat and other bass traps in all four corners, bass seems smooth and tight.

I guess the question is whether anyone with a square room has the freedom and will to make the room work.

poseidonsvoice

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2018, 03:14 pm »
Gonna disagree strongly with this. My room is a perfect 12X12 square with a bump out in one corner for the entry door. It's also the best sounding room I've ever had my system in.

My speakers are set up in a diagonal configuration which in itself was a revelation. With the addition of floor to ceiling GIK tri traps in the corner behind the listening seat and other bass traps in all four corners, bass seems smooth and tight.

I guess the question is whether anyone with a square room has the freedom and will to make the room work.

Excellent points Timind. With square rooms, a diagonal configuration can fix a lot of issues. Room modes can be dealt with and the listening position(!) can be modified as well. REW really, really helps!

In conclusion, a square room isn’t the end of the world and you don’t have to resort to headphones!

Best,
Anand.