Question about low level listening

jmolsberg

Question about low level listening
« on: 13 Feb 2018, 08:31 pm »
If this has been covered I apologize. After a visit to RMAF last year I am considering moving my Nola Contenders for the M4, they sounded amazing!
Seems like a handful of folks use NCore, which is what I use, and happy with the results. The Nola's do low quite well (60-70db) full sound but don't image the way I want. I sit pretty near field 7-8ft and they look pretty easy to slide forward for intimate listening sessions. So please tell me how do Spatial's sound at a candle light dinner, meat on the bones or are we eating lean?

Wind Chaser

Re: Question about low level listening
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2018, 09:25 pm »
I have the M3ts (Turbo S) version. IMO they sound equally well at all volumes, that is assuming they are fully broken in. As far as imaging goes, these are among the best (if not the best) speakers I have heard. I sit about the same distance from the speakers as you do, but mine are spread wide apart... as in 12' from the middle of one compression driver to the other. I also have raised mine up just over 5" to match the height of the compression drivers with my ear level. Great speakers for sure. Good things happen when you lose the box!  :thumb:

As for meat (and the quality of the meat) on the bones, that depends on everything (cables included) upstream.

thetakeout

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2020, 05:26 pm »
I would love to revive this discussion.

Can anyone else chime in about Spatial M4 Triode Masters perform for low listening levels?

Is there a speaker from the M series (M4Triode Master/M4 Triode Master/M5 Sapphire) that is noted for being open and full at low listing levels. 

I have Zu Omen's and they are great at low levels.  They allow me to use a crazy low watt amp (1.5w) which I think helps.  I have heard JM's Omegas and they are stellar at low levels also.

I want to hear some open baffles but I need a set that performs well at low levels.  2 kiddos.

Hopefully there are more thoughts out there!

Audiosaurusrex

« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2020, 06:08 pm »
I would imagine the other Spatials perform great but I have the M3 Sapphires and they are outstanding at any listening level although I prefer them sitting down  :duh: Seriously I like to turn them up and they are just amazing but when my lady friend comes over we can often talk and still appreciate the performance of these speakers. Purchased some room acoustics, smart light which I change to the mood of the music and just got some led candles. Sets the mood  :D
Love em!

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2020, 10:35 pm »
That looks really good!

jazzman463

« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2020, 12:18 pm »
The M5's are very good at low levels 65 to 75 db, no detail is lost however I feel they sound great with a little juice. With all the listening time lately I have been giving it to them. Neighbors have gone  home for the season so listening levels can go up 85 to 95 db. I have owned the Zu Omens and while I will not say anything bad about them, the Spatials made them easy to forget. I know the Zu's have a reputation for loud listening but I could never listen to them loud.  I don't think the Manley paired well with a 12 ohm speaker. When I feel I want the musicians in the room , at real listening levels , the M5's do it ...with full detail.

thetakeout

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2020, 10:04 pm »
You know, I have heard that a lot about the Zu's, they rock out.  I think they suck turned up loud.  SUCK!! But I love them at low listening levels.  I put the resistors on them to drop them to 8 ohms.  Best 12 bucks I have spent in hifi.  They now mate very well with the 8 ohm taps on my amps.  It calms them down tremendously.  Made all the difference.

The issue with the Spatials for me is that it means I need to get a new amp.  I just want to make sure if I get the spatials that they do the most important thing I need them to do well.  Low listening levels.  I have a daughter that is a light sleeper.