Dac 10 & ST10 Volume

Tan Raymond

• Retired and coming back to music after 30 years
Dac 10 & ST10 Volume
« on: 11 Jan 2018, 05:22 am »
Hi All,
A question on volume. I have used the dac/st 10 combi for a 150 hours now and realised that the volume is always louder by about 3db after it warms up (approximately 20 minutes). Is this normal?

John Casler

Re: Dac 10 & ST10 Volume
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2018, 02:26 pm »
Hi All,
A question on volume. I have used the dac/st 10 combi for a 150 hours now and realised that the volume is always louder by about 3db after it warms up (approximately 20 minutes). Is this normal?

That doesn't sound normal.

How are you "measuring" or determining a 3db increase?

RafaPolit

• www.rafaelpolit.com
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2018, 08:49 pm »
My system does not exhibit this issue as far as I can tell, but I was also going to ask how are you determining this 3dbs? Is it that you have a feeling the volume has changed? Is it measured somehow?

Best regards,
Rafa

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2018, 09:08 pm »
Interesting, I'm running different amps with my DAC-10, and the volume does not increase over time.

bellavita

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2018, 09:55 pm »
Could it be whatever music player you use JRiver HQ Player etc set to adjust the levels to compensate in some way?

Cheers

Tan Raymond

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2018, 10:10 am »
Hi All,
Sorry for late reply.

I know the system needs to be warmed up to perform at it's best, as I can clearly hear a smaller soundstage and dynamics, confirmed by a friend with full Accuphase set up. He noticed the volume was louder, which I have not noticed, as I always leave it to run at least 4 tracks before I rerurn to listen. However, we did not measure it with any equipment, but I need 6 clicks on the remote to bring it back. Two days he visited and same results. He commented that the soundstage and dynamics are far better after it had warmed up.

I now becomes aware of the volume and had checked with my phone on db and it shows a difference of 2 to 3 db on average.

Well, phone apps are not accurate, I agree, but it is consistent every time I checked. For the records, the ambient temperature now is 16°C. I will have to wait a couple of months for the temp to rise and see if its still the same. Just checking here if any users have such characteristics.

Genez

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2018, 05:39 pm »
What other components are also warming up during that twenty minutes? 

Running that cool in your house may be actually be mechanically effecting your speaker drivers that need to move to warm up.

I know that my drums sound different in a cool room than a warm one.  Its mechanical in nature.

Tan Raymond

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2018, 05:52 am »
Hi Genez,
Thanks for response. That's what I was thinking as from memory, in earlier months, I cannot recall such a big difference. I know the dynamics and sound stage was a little constricted, but not to such an extend. No heating system, just got to wait for warmer season to confirm.
Thanks to all.

rustydoglim

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2018, 08:23 pm »
Most likely your speaker is too cold and temperature will affect the mechanical parts.

Tan Raymond

« Reply #9 on: 4 Mar 2018, 02:13 pm »
Hi Jason,
You are absolutely right. The ambient temperature is now in the low 20sC° and the volume differences are now negligible. Thanks.
I have also tested with Harbeth SHL5 plus and the control over the speakers are amazing.