The Mummy (1932) - a movie haiku

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
The Mummy (1932) - a movie haiku
« on: 14 Oct 2017, 09:13 pm »
Preamble
Having a new 4k projector has been awesome because it's let me discover some great movies of the past.  Since it's October and Halloween is fast approaching, I figured a trip through the original Universal monster movies was in order.  Some of held up very well (The Mummy), some pretty well (Dracula) and some not at all (The Wolf Man)!  But I really loved the Mummy, and Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein are up next  :thumb:

Haiku

Here's some nice British people making a huge archaeological find!  Every one is super excited.  Then they all die.  Wow, talk about starting with a bang!

Skip ahead 10 years later and he's become this nice Imhotep fellow:

But what does he WANT?  Easy, he wants his old wife back, who died and he decided to mummify himself.  And who can blame him?  What a hottie!

Unfortunately this doucebag English dude keeps getting in the way:

To be reunited she just has to die first!  OK, that's kind of a dick move.  But it's all from love, right?

Helen's havin' none of that!  I mean she's intrigued by guy, but draws the line at being murdered.  A quick plea to Isis (who's already pissed at Imhotep) and its curtains for the Mummy!

Conclusion
That was fun!  I am surprised at how serious and un-cheesy this movie was.  The Brits of course come off as complete asshole-entitled-twits, and the doomed love affair between Helen & Imhotep is actually quite compelling.  Plus Karloff has real charisma and star power.  Dude can act, too.  Can't wait to check him out next in Frankenstein!

artur9

Re: The Mummy (1932) - a movie haiku
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2017, 01:19 am »
The original Mummy is an extraordinary film.  I want a copy but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2017, 01:30 am »
The original Mummy is an extraordinary film.  I want a copy but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The bluray remaster, which my projector upsamples to 4k, looks astonishingly good.  Crisp, detailed, very real, with a nice organic, filmic character. 

It's like having a time machine & being able to watch history, directly.

milford3

« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2017, 05:35 am »
Watch Abbott and Costello.   :)