Blade Runner 2049

WGH

Blade Runner 2049
« on: 8 Oct 2017, 03:23 am »
Blade Runner 2049 is a pretty good sequel to the original. The first Blade Runner was ground breaking with the mixture of cultures, technology and the dystopian look of 2019 L.A. The new Blade Runner takes all those elements and kicks it up by a factor of 10 and is even more dark and moody than the first. Ryan Gosling does a fine job as the next generation of blade runners tasked to hunt down the remaining Nexus 6 androids that do not have an expiration date.

The visuals and sound are excellent, this film deserves to be seen in the biggest state-of-the-art digital theater. The deep soundtrack will tax even the best sound system and the dense visuals are an homage to the original. The visuals are always clear but very dark with lots of shadows, this is a dystopian future after all.

Early reviewers were advised not to reveal any of the plot because this is one film best viewed fresh without any preconceptions. It's a lot of fun.
Plan ahead. The first Blade Runner came out in 1982 and we were a lot younger, now 35 years have passed and our plumbing has aged. I mention this because Blade Runner 2049 is 2-3/4 hours long and you don't want to leave to pee during the last hour when Deckard appears and the action ramps up.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Wayne

TomS

Re: Blade Runner 2049
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2017, 12:13 pm »
Blade Runner 2049 is a pretty good sequel to the original. The first Blade Runner was ground breaking with the mixture of cultures, technology and the dystopian look of 2019 L.A. The new Blade Runner takes all those elements and kicks it up by a factor of 10 and is even more dark and moody than the first. Ryan Gosling does a fine job as the next generation of blade runners tasked to hunt down the remaining Nexus 6 androids that do not have an expiration date.

The visuals and sound are excellent, this film deserves to be seen in the biggest state-of-the-art digital theater. The deep soundtrack will tax even the best sound system and the dense visuals are an homage to the original. The visuals are always clear but very dark with lots of shadows, this is a dystopian future after all.

Early reviewers were advised not to reveal any of the plot because this is one film best viewed fresh without any preconceptions. It's a lot of fun.
Plan ahead. The first Blade Runner came out in 1982 and we were a lot younger, now 35 years have passed and our plumbing has aged. I mention this because Blade Runner 2049 is 2-3/4 hours long and you don't want to leave to pee during the last hour when Deckard appears and the action ramps up.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Wayne
So we watched it last night and the power flickered right at the beach fight scene with just a few minutes to go. Unfortunately, the theater folks couldn't restart the projection equipment, so we were sent home without seeing the ending! Very enjoyable up to that point, so I guess we'll just have to go see it again to find out how it ends  8)

THROWBACK

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2017, 01:13 pm »
The original Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies in any genre. I used Roy Blatty's incredibly moving final speech - - "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die." - - to open my own memoirs. So I am both interested in and worried about the new version. I appreciate the advice to approach it without preconceptions.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2017, 04:12 pm »
Wired magazine has an excellent behind the scenes article about Blade Runner 2049. The article follows the directors request and does not have any description of the plot or contain any spoilers, enjoy.

https://www.wired.com/2017/09/behind-the-scenes-blade-runner-2049-sequel/?mbid=BottomRelatedStories

"...the plot of Blade Runner 2049 is guarded with the kind of intensity usually reserved for Star Wars reshoots. (Even negotiating to get onto the set required more back-and-forth than a Voight-Kampff test. I’m told I’m the only US journalist who passed.) Still, there are a few confirmed details: Thirty years after audiences left Deckard bruised and battered in 2019 Los Angeles, he has disappeared, and Gosling’s LAPD officer is on the hunt (possibly at the behest of his boss, played by Robin Wright, though no one involved with the movie will say for sure). Meanwhile, there’s a new breed of replicants—the series’ term for androids—being built by a mysterious inventor named Wallace (Jared Leto), who’s aided by a devoted employee, Luv (Sylvia Hoeks). That’s pretty much all the 2049 team will tell me, no matter how politely I ask. “I’m not even sure I’m allowed to say I had a good time making it,” Gosling jokes."

stlrman

« Reply #4 on: 9 Oct 2017, 12:36 pm »
Fantastic article!! :thumb: :thumb:
thanks for posting.
Can't wait to see this on the big screen, and again on Blu-ray in my home theater.

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2017, 01:25 pm »
This movie was f***in amazing. I can't even process how Villeneuve gets those shots. This movie out Ridley Scott's Ridley Scott. One of the most visually accomplished films in recent memory.

It is long though. True to the original pacing and then some. really should have a intermission. In fact I think it would be better film for it because there's so much to process. Not a film really for American audiences imo.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2017, 05:53 pm »
The Hans Zimmer soundtrack is as important as the visuals. The original 1982 Blade Runner score was composed by Vangelis and for the sequel the Hans Zimmer - Benjamin Wallfisch team want to go with the same feel, but darker.

I just picked up the soundtrack and uploaded a sample (2049.flac) to give you all a hint of what you are in for. To get the full theater effect download the file and play on your main system at about 90dB, but don't blow anything up! 99% of members systems won't be able to handle this cut at reference Dolby levels which is why you need to hear it in a state-of-the-art theater.

Blade Runner 2049 Sample

Wayne

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2017, 07:11 pm »
Gotta say the millenial responses I've read to this movie are... disappointing. Ironic, considering the original film was also considered a disappointment and not well understood. They don't seem to be putting two and two together. More and more it seems this type of epic visual storytelling just goes over their heads. Everything has to be obvious and preferably viewable on a laptop or phone.

Luckily the Top Critics at RottenTomatoes have unanimous praise. I had to read some of those to remind myself there are people who still know how to watch movies. Christ.

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2017, 07:14 pm »
The Hans Zimmer soundtrack is as important as the visuals. The original 1982 Blade Runner score was composed by Vangelis and for the sequel the Hans Zimmer - Benjamin Wallfisch team want to go with the same feel, but darker.

I just picked up the soundtrack and uploaded a sample (2049.flac) to give you all a hint of what you are in for. To get the full theater effect download the file and play on your main system at about 90dB, but don't blow anything up! 99% of members systems won't be able to handle this cut at reference Dolby levels which is why you need to hear it in a state-of-the-art theater.

Blade Runner 2049 Sample

Wayne

Hans Zimmer has actually becoming a GREAT composer over the years instead of an influential hack. I credit working with Nolan for that. The BR2049 score is awesome.

dflee

« Reply #9 on: 9 Oct 2017, 08:56 pm »
Listened to the sample through my head phones and wow, just incredible.
Would like to see the movie but since my wife's vision has gone, I haven't been
to a movie since.

Don

randytsuch

« Reply #10 on: 9 Oct 2017, 10:16 pm »
Ticket sales were disappointing I guess, in the low 30's and they were expecting 40 million.

Big budget movie, maybe too long for the kids, they don't have the attention span  :wink:

Will try to see it soon.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2017, 10:58 pm »

Hi Guys:
       I'll put this on my go to list.

Has any body seen "Wonder Woman"? I rented it Saturday from Redbox. great flick!!! Just kick back and ENJOY!!!
        Make sure you have lot's of popcorn and a schnapps or two.

Cheers
                                                                     Charlie

fredgarvin

« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2017, 03:50 pm »
Finally, we found a film that was worthy of a theater screening. A story well told with very good performances. There was not a Sophia Coppola or Nicholas Cage  in the bunch. We did not find it long. Perhaps the solution to the puzzle was given away a little early, that may depend on the viewer. I do wonder how it would play to a person not familiar with the original.

stlrman

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2017, 10:34 am »
Wow !! :thumb: :thumb: just saw this in IMAX. Stunning cinematography,  sound track is mind boggling , great screenplay and special effects!!
9.5 out of 10 stars.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2017, 06:45 pm »
Gotta say the millenial responses I've read to this movie are... disappointing. Ironic, considering the original film was also considered a disappointment and not well understood. They don't seem to be putting two and two together. More and more it seems this type of epic visual storytelling just goes over their heads. Everything has to be obvious and preferably viewable on a laptop or phone.

Luckily the Top Critics at RottenTomatoes have unanimous praise. I had to read some of those to remind myself there are people who still know how to watch movies. Christ.

Well, remember that Millenials are still kids (I consider anyone under 30 to be a kid, essentially).  And kids are dumb.  So it's no surprise that a difficult and non-obvious movie is not gonna have huge box office appeal. 

I haven't seen this movie yet, I was hesitant because my experience with the Alien and Terminator franchises have been so bad.  Plus I love the original Blade Runner unreasonably.  So I figured I am just set up for disappointment.  But I have to admit that the raves from the critics and the more thoughtful moviegoers has been swaying me over. 

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2017, 06:58 pm »
There are a lot of things I do not like about Millennials.  Entitled and practically unteachable with a shitty work ethic.  I would not classify them as dumb however. 

wushuliu

« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:14 pm »
There are a lot of things I do not like about Millennials.  Entitled and practically unteachable with a shitty work ethic.  I would not classify them as dumb however.

I think he meant dumb as in we were all 'dumb' at that age.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:43 pm »
I think he meant dumb as in we were all 'dumb' at that age.

Yes, precisely.

rockadanny

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2017, 01:10 pm »
I saw the original movie when it was first released and liked it, somewhat, though not strongly. I appreciated it as art more than I enjoyed it as a film - it did not draw me in. I think it was because Harrison Ford's character was completely uninteresting to me. Plus IMO he's a lousy actor and doesn't have "IT" so that didn't help.

But now you all have got me re-interested in the film and the Final Cut version was on TV the other day so I watched that. Not sure why, but I REALLY liked it this time around. Too long between viewings to compare the original version with the Final Cut so not sure if that was the reason. Both HF and his character remain completely uninteresting to me, thus still didn't draw me in. None of the characters did, except for Rutger Hauer's final scene. Perhaps I am in a different place and more open to appreciate and just enjoy the film.

So now I'm all excited to see 2049 this weekend. Thanks for posting!  :thumb:

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 13 Oct 2017, 02:00 pm »
I saw the original movie when it was first released and liked it, somewhat, though not strongly. I appreciated it as art more than I enjoyed it as a film - it did not draw me in. I think it was because Harrison Ford's character was completely uninteresting to me. Plus IMO he's a lousy actor and doesn't have "IT" so that didn't help.

But now you all have got me re-interested in the film and the Final Cut version was on TV the other day so I watched that. Not sure why, but I REALLY liked it this time around. Too long between viewings to compare the original version with the Final Cut so not sure if that was the reason. Both HF and his character remain completely uninteresting to me, thus still didn't draw me in. None of the characters did, except for Rutger Hauer's final scene. Perhaps I am in a different place and more open to appreciate and just enjoy the film.

So now I'm all excited to see 2049 this weekend. Thanks for posting!  :thumb:

Maybe you like the original more now because our future has been catching up to its future  :wink:

In all honesty, although I like the original and have seen a dozen times, I think it's a so-so film. I love it mainly for the cinematography and production design. I think the acting is a little clunky and the plot and pacing something you really have to be in the mood for.

I think 2049 is a better film than the original. Villeneuve has all of Ridley Scott's strengths but none of his weaknesses.