Original SST are indeed fantastic

jimangie1973

Original SST are indeed fantastic
« on: 6 Oct 2017, 11:17 pm »
Last week I purchased a new amp to replace my 3bsst in my great room.  While the new amp had more power and looks more impressive, it cannot match the bass authority and tonal balance of the old SST.  Realizing more over time how good the Bryston amp are.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
Re: Original SST are indeed fantastic
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2017, 01:15 pm »
Last week I purchased a new amp to replace my 3bsst in my great room.  While the new amp had more power and looks more impressive, it cannot match the bass authority and tonal balance of the old SST.  Realizing more over time how good the Bryston amp are.

+1

Not all that's newer is always better. Just different.

I still believe that Bryston got it damn right with the squared series of power amps. Have owned 4B and currently use a 14B squared. Have heard a 14B cubed.

Guess what?

cheers
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2017, 05:11 pm by CanadianMaestro »

jimangie1973

« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2017, 03:53 pm »
Did you try the 14B cubed on your same system at home?  I think that's the only way to tell if there is any actual audible difference.  I'm thinking of getting a used 3b squared or new 3b cubed.  Interesting that the 3B cubed is specified to higher power than the previous 3B models.  I wonder if it's a significantly different design.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2017, 04:09 pm »
Did you try the 14B cubed on your same system at home?  I think that's the only way to tell if there is any actual audible difference.  I'm thinking of getting a used 3b squared or new 3b cubed.  Interesting that the 3B cubed is specified to higher power than the previous 3B models.  I wonder if it's a significantly different design.

Hi

There are a number of improvements in the Cubed version - the most significant though is the new input stage - it is extraordinary!

james

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2017, 05:05 pm »

I actually did not say that there wasn't an audible difference....are you assuming there would be one in all systems?

No further comment -- I love Bryston, and don't want to send any bad vibes here. Let's just say that if it was night and day diff, I would hear it. Regardless of whose home it's in.

cheers

----------------
James:  I don't doubt the input stage advancement of the cubed amps. It's just that there's so much else going on upstream, behind the amps, that will influence the final output as well.

In any case, the amps have always been Bryston's greatest strengths.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2017, 05:24 pm »
James:  I don't doubt the input stage advancement of the cubed amps. It's just that there's so much else going on upstream, behind the amps, that will influence the final output as well.

In any case, the amps have always been Bryston's greatest strengths.
[/quote]

Hi

I agree upstream matters but the distortion on the new input stage is exceptional but I think the electrical noise rejection is a large part of the advantage of the Cubed series.

We have attained another 20dB of noise rejection on the input and that translates to excellent reproducing of very low level micro details in the music.

james

gbaby

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2017, 08:52 pm »
+1

I still believe that Bryston got it damn right with the squared series of power amps. Have owned 4B and currently use a 14B squared. Have heard a 14B cubed.

Guess what?

cheers

I don't know. Most reviews I have read comparing the square to the cube state the cube difference is readily and easily heard with the cube sounding much better.  :o

gbaby

« Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2017, 09:16 pm »
+1

Guess what?

cheers

Check out this review below:

http://novo.press/bryston-4b3-cubed-series-amplifier/

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2017, 09:37 pm »
Thanks gbaby. I know. Was about to buy a 4-cubed. But I don't want to disturb the amazing SQ I have achieved in my system.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

(Aren't ALL reviews glowing anyways? I've yet to read a negative review of any Bryston gear....also this one is anonymous -- who wrote it?)

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2017, 11:00 pm »
Am I reading it correctly?

The specs (THD, S/N, etc) for the 4B3 (and 14B3) are not that much off those for the 4B2 (and 14B2). Miniscule by human auditory threshold levels, in fact.  :scratch:

This is a big reason why I stayed with my 14B2.

Also, the reviews for the 4B3 amps all are consistent on at least one major improvement: noise is reduced, compared to other amps, incl the squared series. Well, I already have a subterranean noise floor: my amps are plugged into Triton + Typhon power distributors (Shunyata), which were game-changers for my system (I have dirty power lines in tall condo bldg). So it's a futile uphill battle for my system to get even quieter in an audibly substantial way.

cheers

rob80b

« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2017, 02:00 pm »

Hi

I agree upstream matters but the distortion on the new input stage is exceptional .........
james

As a city dweller the "ambient noise" makes the low noise levels of a system almost redundant, but a reduction of distortion levels on the other hand is always welcome.
Although I'd love to know if "I" could discern an improvement over my current SST 2... :thumb:

gbaby

« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2017, 03:01 pm »

(Aren't ALL reviews glowing anyways? I've yet to read a negative review of any Bryston gear....also this one is anonymous -- who wrote it?)

Not all reviews are glowing. I have read some bad reviews from Kal Rubinson from Stereophile. In any event, while I have not heard it, I believe the cube sounds better than the square. I just purchased and SST2.5b and months later the cube came out. I would rather have the cube, but I cannot afford to keep spending money on gear so I have to remain satisfied with what I own.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2017, 03:18 pm »
Not all reviews are glowing. I have read some bad reviews from Kal Rubinson from Stereophile. In any event, while I have not heard it, I believe the cube sounds better than the square. I just purchased and SST2.5b and months later the cube came out. I would rather have the cube, but I cannot afford to keep spending money on gear so I have to remain satisfied with what I own.

Enjoy the amp and music. I'm off the upgrade carousel. No cravings either.
 :thumb:

gbaby

« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2017, 03:07 pm »
Enjoy the amp and music. I'm off the upgrade carousel. No cravings either.
 :thumb:

And, they can keep ATMOS. :D

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2017, 06:22 pm »
And, they can keep ATMOS. :D

LOL I had to Google ATMOS.  :scratch:
 :lol:

jimangie1973

« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2017, 10:24 pm »
No ATMOS crap for me either.  Two channel so much more enjoyable IMHO.  Bought a 4BSST2 on audiogon to feed the illness!  Listening to the 3BSST now and wondering what benefit I could possibly get.  We'll see tomorrow after I pick it up.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2017, 11:37 pm »
No ATMOS crap for me either.  Two channel so much more enjoyable IMHO.  Bought a 4BSST2 on audiogon to feed the illness!  Listening to the 3BSST now and wondering what benefit I could possibly get.  We'll see tomorrow after I pick it up.

I'm curious too. Let us know.

I started out with a 4B2, lived with it for almost 4 yrs. It was terrific. Never got hung up by any kind of music I played thru it. I have high-sens speakers (90-dB), but still, the 4B2 gave them plenty of power reserves.  Never got to hear an orig SST though.

jimangie1973

« Reply #17 on: 13 Oct 2017, 11:36 pm »
Got my 4bsst2 today.  I haven't done much listening yet to tell whether there's an improvement over my 3bsst.  I did take off the cover and was surprised to see black Panasonic 4700uF caps. I thought those were supposed to be 5600uF caps.  I'm wondering if I somehow got short changed.  Here's a pic.

jimangie1973

« Reply #18 on: 13 Oct 2017, 11:39 pm »
Here's a pic of all the internals.

jimangie1973

« Reply #19 on: 14 Oct 2017, 12:37 pm »
I finally got a listen in... Regardless of PS cap size, I have to say this anp sounds great. It is really clean yet soft and smooth.  My biased inpression is the soundstage is deeper or more three dimensional.  Overall tonal balance seems identical to the SST versions.