Where to put miniDSP in a STA-9/DAC-9 combo for room correction

kaka89

I own a DAC-9/STA-9 combo, using Pi 3 as source, and planning to add room correction to the setup.

May I know where is the best place to do room correction (RC), say with miniDSP?

Option 1:
Do DSP in the source, Pi 3, with brutefir (a software that applies EQ to audio output)
Question: Can Pi and brutefir produce the best sound quality? eg computing power could be a concern.

Option 2:
Use miniDSP as DAC and room correction, feed audio to DAC-9 (pre-amp) via analog input.
Question: Not using DAC-9's decode capability. Is it critical?

Option 3:
Place miniDSP between DAC-9 and STA-9.
Question: The signal is once being converted to digital again, and I understand pre-amp is the core part of DAC-9. Am I losing the pre-amp capability by doing this?

I haven't purchased any hardware (miniDSP) yet, I am open to any suggestion. Thank you for your time!

rustydoglim

This is a different approach to driving the speakers - meaning that you need a speaker design without the crossover network
Others who are knowledgeable about this approach please comment.  My understanding is that you shouldn't even consider using miniDSP unless you change your speaker.

kaka89

I think you are referring to "active crossover", but I am thinking about flattening the speaker's frequency response in a room by using DSP. (or to boost low range)

Thanks!

rustydoglim

Years go we tested the Dirac system and it worked very well. But there are considerable challenge and expense to do high end room correction:
1. Have to purchase the mic set from Dirac.
2. After running Dirac software for room and speaker calibration, the DSP data is stored in the PC.
3. Must use the PC to play the music.

MiniDSP might have provided a custom hardware version of the Dirac PC software, so that could work out well.

WC

In your situation with just 2 channel room correction and no crossover bass management stuff, the miniDSP DDRC-22D (with Dirac) or the Open DRC-22DI (without Dirac) would be the best choice. Run your digital sources into the miniDSP than digital into the DAC-9.

kaka89

Thanks for the suggestion and sharing. I will use miniDSP as DAC then.

triumph

Sorry, I'm late to the party.

OP, did you purchase your miniDSP product yet?

As a first step though, one should always try to treat the room first as much as possible.  I know that sometimes there are design constraints, preferences, etc.. but some absorbing panels in corners, and/or on the walls disguised as paintings or pictures go a long way.

You can't correct a horrible room via digital filters.  But small tweaks are indeed possible.

As posted, yes, you can use the miniDSP with Dirac as a DAC, and send that to your STA9.  or connect your source to a miniDSP DDRC-22D, then to your DAC9/STA9 combo.

The Pi + BruteFIR would also work.  More hands on and DIY approach than just following Dirac's instructions.

Another way is to use a real computer (those small NUCs are pretty cool) and JRiver.  JRiver has a LOT of tweaking possible, including FIR correction via convolution.  You will need tools like RePhase or DRCDesigner to create FIR filters.  That goes digital out to your DAC9/STA9 combo.

Many ways to go about this, depending on your requirements, playing files from computers or CDs from player. 
I have moved away from CDs and love the resolution and ease of use from HiRez files.

kaka89

Thank you for your opinions.

No I haven't purchase miniDsp yet, I am planning to purchase Dirac on my Mac first and see how much improvement it will bring me.

Thanks again!