First Post

Jason05216

First Post
« on: 29 Sep 2017, 07:42 pm »
Hi...just getting back into it after putting away all my gear when I got married 22 years ago. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed listening to vinyl and certainly had forgotten how much better it sounds than streaming Spotify. Looking to learn and upgrade my stuff as I go. The internet is fun but it can be overwhelming with the amount of information there is, kinda like drinking from a firehose.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: First Post
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2017, 08:16 pm »
Welcome Jason :thumb:
Glad you came back to audio after so long time.
Sometimes marriage is like that, with me it was similar.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2017, 08:53 pm »
Hi...just getting back into it after putting away all my gear when I got married 22 years ago. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed listening to vinyl and certainly had forgotten how much better it sounds than streaming Spotify. Looking to learn and upgrade my stuff as I go. The internet is fun but it can be overwhelming with the amount of information there is, kinda like drinking from a firehose.

And it comes with occasionally tainted water.  Welcome to AC, Jason. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2017, 10:56 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jason   :thumb:

Jason05216

« Reply #4 on: 2 Oct 2017, 07:23 pm »
I wanted to ask some basic questions about upgrading my system. Where is the best place to ask those questions?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 2 Oct 2017, 09:27 pm »
I wanted to ask some basic questions about upgrading my system. Where is the best place to ask those questions?
You may ask right here.

Jason05216

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2017, 12:45 am »
Ok thanks..... I've got the old NAD 3020 amp, a Pioneer PL-516 TT and Pioneer Cadenza CD 316 3 way speakers that I refoamed the woofers. I would like to start upgrading, where would be the best place to start? I replaced the stylus on the turntable so I think it's OK for now. Any input appreciated.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 3 Oct 2017, 01:00 am »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 3 Oct 2017, 01:27 am »
Ok thanks..... I've got the old NAD 3020 amp, a Pioneer PL-516 TT and Pioneer Cadenza CD 316 3 way speakers that I refoamed the woofers. I would like to start upgrading, where would be the best place to start? I replaced the stylus on the turntable so I think it's OK for now. Any input appreciated.
NAD is OK, TT is OK, I fail to Google this speaker Cadenza CD 316.
The NAD is the vintage from the 1980?

Jason05216

« Reply #9 on: 3 Oct 2017, 01:36 am »
Yeah, it's the original from the 80's. I think I bought it in 82. I could only find one link on google for the speakers.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 3 Oct 2017, 01:44 am »
As you refoam it, it must be a old speaker, speakers have evolved much more than amplifiers, so you could change these Cadenza first imo.

Jason05216

« Reply #11 on: 3 Oct 2017, 01:52 am »
They are old, same vintage as the amp.  I've been trying to get some info about the Tekton speakers to see which model would suit what I need but haven't been able to get much from them.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 3 Oct 2017, 12:11 pm »
Always start system building/upgrading with speakers.  Choose them to fit your space and tastes.  Keep in mind that there is no perfect speaker.  Over the years speakers voicing has gotten leaner and tighter, along the lines of what was called the European sound.  Coming out of the 80's you could easily think of today's speakers as sounding constipated.  Suggest you try attending an audiofest to get a handle on what's out there as good audio shops outside big cities are rare anymore.  But final decision should always be based on home audition.

Amps need to only serve the speaker.  Your NAD 3020 was one of the best value classics of all time.  Nowadays many would call the power amp section especially warm and and a bit sluggish.  Does it have separable pre/power amp sections?  If so you could buy a power amp or better yet IMO active speakers (that are very popular for studio work). 

Modern systems usually include a music server, some include with a built-in multi-format DAC.  And streaming/download options go way beyond Spotify.  Check out Tidal (CD quality streaming for $20/month) or hi-resolution downloads.  Tube gear has rebounded and improved since the 80's.  Vinyl has also seen a resurgence but can be very expensive to find albums in good shape.  And there is now lots of concern for all associated wires (way too much IMO).

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 3 Oct 2017, 02:18 pm »
They are old, same vintage as the amp.  I've been trying to get some info about the Tekton speakers to see which model would suit what I need but haven't been able to get much from them.
In this brand I rec Tekton Lore only if my opinion worth anything, by the hi sensitivity and relative simple xover(two way) what will allow you use a small inexpensive tube amp in the future.

Better than a hi sensitivity 2 way speaker only a direct from the amp paper cone fullrange driver, not suited to large rooms though.

Jason05216

« Reply #14 on: 3 Oct 2017, 10:22 pm »
I would love to go to an audio fest. I'm in the Midwest and I didn't see anything reasonable close.  RMAF would be a really long drive, doubt I can convince my wife to go.

I think I may run into some issues on my speaker search. My listening area is my living room which flows into the dining room. Our house is pretty much an open floor plan. The space that the speakers will be in is 26x30 with 9ft ceiling height. The left side of the room as you look at the speakers opens into to foyer. The back of the room opens into a breakfast nook and kitchen.  I'm trying to keep the speakers somewhat  on the smaller side. Neither my wife or I want really large speakers that will dominate, from a size perspective, the room.

I'm open to other suggestions if you have any. I don't have many places that I could listen to speakers in my area. I liked the Tekton 30 day in home trial.

The NAD does have separate amp preamp sections. There are bridges in the connectors on the back. I think I just remove them and it separates the two.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 3 Oct 2017, 11:48 pm »
Klipsch have various two ways in stand mount pocket sizes that have around 97dB/8 ohms, which are much better to the amp that the usual 90/93dB currently onipresent on the market.

Backwell

« Reply #16 on: 4 Oct 2017, 09:46 pm »
Ha! Ha! Jason, I like your comment on info from the 'net ! I concur ! Happy Listening !