BDP-3

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BDP-3
« Reply #340 on: 12 Oct 2017, 04:08 pm »
@Granthill, I think the limiting factor is the DAC. If it's a BDA-3, that will accept DSD only over its USB jack. The BDP-2 apparently can send DSD over its AES, but if your DAC is not able to do DSD over its AES circuitry.....feel free (anyone) to correct me.

cheers

As far as i am ware this is true.  We've never tested it, but it has been reported to be functional with dac's that support it from various customers on this forum and via email.

Chris

DarqueKnight

« Reply #341 on: 12 Oct 2017, 06:39 pm »
Hi DarqueKnight,

so is it possible to send DSD files over AES/EBU to an external Dac? I tought it was limited to USB...

Yes. The DSD information needs to be repackaged in PCM (DoP or DSD over PCM) and the DAC must be able to accept DoP input. The BDP-2 sends DSD out via AES/EBU and S/PDIF (coax) using the DoP protocol. My dCS Debussy DAC can accept DoP data streams via its AES/EBU and S/PDIF inputs.

Bryston chose not to implement DoP input on the BDA-3's AES and S/PDIF inputs due to the following reason:

Hi Folks,

The reason we do not offer DSD playback on the BDA-3 on the AES and COAX ‘inputs’ has to do with the sample rate converters currently available. DSD samples at much higher frequencies than PCM and current sample rate converters are not capable of operating at those higher frequencies. The BDA3 is a modular design and some new sample rate converters being developed now claim they will offer native high resolution PMC 352 and PMC 384 sample rate capability as well as DSD.  We will certainly look at them going forward and offer an upgrade if they perform better.

So to offer DSD on the AES or COAX inputs on the BDA-3 means you would have to bypass the sample rate converter on the AES or COAX inputs which would ‘increase jitter’ because our current sample converters in the BDA-3 reduce jitter on the input. 

So in Bryston’s case we definitely want the sample rate converter in the circuit for 44.1 to 192 PCM signals. Also some DAC’s we have looked at that are DSD capable on those inputs convert all the incoming sample rates (44,48,88,96,176,192Hz) to a very high single sample rate ‘Asynchronously’ whereas our preference with our DAC’s is to maintain the ‘Native’ incoming PCM sample rate throughout the conversion process with all PCM signals.  If we do up-sample we do it in a synchronous manner so (44.1 becomes 176.4 and 48 becomes 192) not asynchronous.

So the way USB works on the BDA-3 is we have a special input circuit that determines if the incoming signal is PCM or DSD and routes the signal to the appropriate input circuit. These are completely different circuit paths optimized for the different ways PCM and DSD are handled to optimize performance. So PCM from 44 to 384 is optimized as well as DSD DOP 64 and 128 and Native DSD 64 /128 and 356 (x1/x2/x4). 

We feel this is the best option currently and due to the modularity of the BDA-3 we can make changes going forward as better devices are developed but maintaining and optimizing the best ‘NATIVE’ playback (either PCM or DSD) is am important goal in our designs.

Hope this helps.

James

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #342 on: 12 Oct 2017, 06:58 pm »
So a BDA-3 owner can, basically, use ONE USB cable and play PCM and DSD thru this cable (from say, a BDP-2/-3) without any compromise in accuracy.

DarqueKnight

« Reply #343 on: 12 Oct 2017, 07:06 pm »

No Worries DK, thanks for your confirmation.

What happens when you insert a BD audio Disc? Is the menu visible on the Oppo, or preferably, on the app? Or do we still need the TV set to display and use the menu.
Thanks,
Marius

No, the menu is not visible on neither the Oppo's display nor the app. For disc-based playback, a TV is required to navigate through the menu. For digital file playback, the menu can be accessed via the app and a TV is not required.

Oppo's app works better on an iPhone or Android phone since that is what the app was written for. In order to use the app on my Windows 8.1 tablet, I use an Android emulator called Nox. However, the emulator interface causes some features of the app not to work, such as titles not showing up when a disc is played. Occasionally the app will hang or the app will cause the player to hang when used from a Windows computer.

Marius

« Reply #344 on: 13 Oct 2017, 08:05 am »
No, the menu is not visible on neither the Oppo's display nor the app. For disc-based playback, a TV is required to navigate through the menu. For digital file playback, the menu can be accessed via the app and a TV is not required.

Oppo's app works better on an iPhone or Android phone since that is what the app was written for. In order to use the app on my Windows 8.1 tablet, I use an Android emulator called Nox. However, the emulator interface causes some features of the app not to work, such as titles not showing up when a disc is played. Occasionally the app will hang or the app will cause the player to hang when used from a Windows computer.

Thanks!
I was told also the 205's controlling interface would hang frequently and be quite unresponsive, even was told to hold back purchase for this reason, and wait and see whether expected updates would improve on this.
You wouldn't happen to know of another serious player to not need the TV for disc-based playback? ...

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #345 on: 13 Oct 2017, 08:10 am »
Yes. The DSD information needs to be repackaged in PCM (DoP or DSD over PCM) and the DAC must be able to accept DoP input. The BDP-2 sends DSD out via AES/EBU and S/PDIF (coax) using the DoP protocol. My dCS Debussy DAC can accept DoP data streams via its AES/EBU and S/PDIF inputs.

Bryston chose not to implement DoP input on the BDA-3's AES and S/PDIF inputs due to the following reason:

Since James's post on this is from 2 years ago, i would be very interested to know, being tempted and seriously considering purchasing the new BDA3, whether these mentioned future upgrades are already in place? Or is Bryston still using the 2 year old DAC's in their flagship converter.

Cheers,
Marius

Grant Hill

« Reply #346 on: 13 Oct 2017, 09:00 am »
So a BDA-3 owner can, basically, use ONE USB cable and play PCM and DSD thru this cable (from say, a BDP-2/-3) without any compromise in accuracy.

Yes. It would be interesting to know if BDA3 performs better from BDP2/3 from USB or from AES/EBU with IAD... I remember that James wrote that he prefers the USB way, but I might be wrong...

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #347 on: 13 Oct 2017, 10:42 am »
Yes. It would be interesting to know if BDA3 performs better from BDP2/3 from USB or from AES/EBU with IAD... I remember that James wrote that he prefers the USB way, but I might be wrong...

A well-mastered recording should sound great from either jack imho.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #348 on: 14 Oct 2017, 03:14 am »
But as not all (few) recordings are mastered well, how poor recordings/mastering sound is equally important as well.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #349 on: 14 Oct 2017, 12:16 pm »
But as not all (few) recordings are mastered well, how poor recordings/mastering sound is equally important as well.

This is true. But neutrality is Bryston's hallmark, so it may be very hard to hear changes -- input = output, assuming cable/connector is not faulty.

soundmax

« Reply #350 on: 17 Apr 2018, 04:22 pm »
Hello everyone,

Don't know if the question was already asked or not:
is the BDP-3 able to play movies while connected via HDMI to a TV?

He certainly plays the sound, but no image.
Is the movie play restricted or maybe format depending ?