Replacing Hifiman sockets (HE-560)

JohnR

Replacing Hifiman sockets (HE-560)
« on: 11 Nov 2016, 04:31 am »
I'm wondering if anyone here has replaced the "screw in" type sockets in a pair of Hifiman's with the newer 2.5mm type?

Or happens to have bookmarked a link to someone doing it? (I'm sure I've seen it but I'm unable to find it now.)

I'm fed up with them as the plugs on the cable seem to keep breaking.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: Replacing Hifiman sockets (HE-560)
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2016, 06:17 am »
Sometimes the sockets are also glued down so require a bit more grunt to remove. There's not much to it other than being careful (seriously, don't let a screwdriver slip towards the magnets/diaphragm).

If you're going to all that trouble though, you may as well hardwire or do a mini-xlr socket. That's far far better than a 2.5mm TRS.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2016, 07:46 am »
Hi, thanks for the response. I guess I just assumed mini-XLR wouldn't fit, but I'll order some mini-XLR sockets and see how they look. If I'm going to modify them, may as well do it right, as you say ;) I located a used pair of HD-600s to tide me over while I work on them.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2016, 05:24 pm »
Check with norne audio.  They sell lots of different connectors and may have some insights.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2016, 02:20 am »
How long have you had these? Should you really have to "re-engineer" them? I have heard the 560's and was fairly impressed, but stories like this one (design and/or QC problems) seem to be common regarding Hifiman products. I'd contact the manufacturer before performing "surgery" on them even if they are no longer in warranty. Maybe you can get some satisfaction.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2016, 02:45 am »
I have heard the 560's and was fairly impressed,
Its said the HE560 has a neutral sound, according the personal taste some would say cold, not the warm harmonics presentation from the HE400.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2016, 03:38 am »
How long have you had these? Should you really have to "re-engineer" them? I have heard the 560's and was fairly impressed, but stories like this one (design and/or QC problems) seem to be common regarding Hifiman products. I'd contact the manufacturer before performing "surgery" on them even if they are no longer in warranty. Maybe you can get some satisfaction.

Hi, I don't have to "re-engineer" them, the headphones themselves are fine. However the matching plugs that go onto the cables keep breaking (as I said) and they are a pain to work on. Nobody has ever liked them, and Hifiman have I guess implicitly acknowledged this by changing to 2.5mm TRS connectors sometime since I bought this pair a bit over 2 years ago.

Obviously, I like them or I wouldn't have kept them this long... or be interested in modifying them :)

I did contact Hifiman and they want $230 to replace the sockets with the newer types.

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2016, 03:40 am »
Check with norne audio.

Well they do have these:

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/norne-hyper-short-audeze-lcd-2-3-x-xc-hifiman-he-5-6-560-adapters?search=hifiman

I guess that's one way to go....

I took the grills off and there is not enough room to directly mount a miniXLR, it would need to be mounted in an external thing, kinda the way Audeze do it.

Armaegis

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2016, 03:50 am »
Well they do have these:

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/norne-hyper-short-audeze-lcd-2-3-x-xc-hifiman-he-5-6-560-adapters?search=hifiman

I took the grills off and there is not enough room to directly mount a miniXLR, it would need to be mounted in an external thing, kinda the way Audeze do it.

Nothing a dremel and/or stepped drill bit wouldn't fix...  :thumb:

Or just hardwire and don't even bother with connectors. The fewer the better!

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2016, 04:10 am »
No, there is not enough room :) The amount of space on the ... big round thing... between the driver and the edge of it is not enough for a mini-XLR.

If you hardwire, how do you fasten the cable to stop it moving? (To avoid stress on the leads to the drivers)

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2016, 04:17 am »
Well they do have these:

If you're not comfortable physically modifying them, which is understandable,  maybe make a short adapter - 2.5mm receptacle to male hifiman, one for each side.  Then if you tug too hard on the cable, it'll just pull out the trs plug.

Hifiman sells the coax connector.  I doubt they're anything special - digikey probably sells them and adapters if you can figure out exactly what kind of coax connector they are.

These mention adapting,  I'd reach out to norne audio (very friendly) and ask for their advice

http://www.norneaudio.com/litzheim/Furutech-Valab-Oyaide-Shure-Denon-diy-headphone-cable-connector?product_id=43

Armaegis

« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2016, 07:40 am »
No, there is not enough room :) The amount of space on the ... big round thing... between the driver and the edge of it is not enough for a mini-XLR.

If you hardwire, how do you fasten the cable to stop it moving? (To avoid stress on the leads to the drivers)

I could have sworn I've seen mods that had the mini-xlr's, but my recollection is fuzzy. For sure I've seen it on the older style cups (HE-4/5/6).

My HE-6's are hardwired, and it's just simply glue and a couple layers of heat shrink that hold it in place.

dB Cooper

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2016, 12:51 pm »

I did contact Hifiman and they want $230 to replace the sockets with the newer types.

:o

JohnR

« Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2016, 01:41 pm »
Right, well I didn't jump on it. But you know, I wasn't really expecting them to even offer that, they're a business and need to stay in business. I'd prefer if this thread could focus on my actual question, thanks ;)

JohnR

« Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2016, 01:50 pm »
My HE-6's are hardwired, and it's just simply glue and a couple layers of heat shrink that hold it in place.

Hm. OK... interesting.

If you're not comfortable physically modifying them, which is understandable,  maybe make a short adapter - 2.5mm receptacle to male hifiman, one for each side.  Then if you tug too hard on the cable, it'll just pull out the trs plug.

I'm not sure I want a pigtail arrangement because it still means having the plugs in place, which is what I'm trying to not have. The hardwired adapter might be immune to breaking like the ones I have. I suppose I should post a pic.  Anyway I've had an idea about how to mount the mini XLRs. Will try something when i get them.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #15 on: 20 Nov 2016, 04:43 am »
This is more of an FYI than a solution to the OP's issue.  Hope that's OK.

Hifiman has the 560's on sale for $700. And the 400i's for $250 (wow!)

JohnR

« Reply #16 on: 20 Nov 2016, 08:55 am »
Sure, no worries ;) That's a great deal!!

I haven't had time to think about this the last week. However I got a response from Norne saying no reported issues with the adapters I linked, so I'm thinking I might just go that way.

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #17 on: 29 Nov 2016, 11:14 pm »
Any decisions or pictures?

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 16 Jan 2017, 12:23 pm »
Ha, time takes time :) I've just ordered a pair of the Norne adapters and will see how that goes.

JohnR

« Reply #19 on: 6 Mar 2017, 12:05 pm »
I don't seem to be having much luck in getting Norne to actually ship me a pair of those adapters, so I may go back to the modding idea.