New Life For My HD650

Nick77

New Life For My HD650
« on: 3 Sep 2016, 10:48 pm »
I recently bought a pair of HD650's because of all the hype. Was slightly disappointed cause they really didn't come close to my 2 channel speaker system. Before jumping on the upgrade wagon I decided to try a Wywire Red cable and i'm astonished at results. Im surprised everyone doesn't talk about ditching the stock cable cause its killing the music. Now I have the resolution and bass definition i was hoping for in the 650's. Im sure the upgrade bug will hit but for now im very content with the HD650's/Wywire combo.

Great phones with cable upgrade, highly recommend Alexes Red series cable.  :thumb:

Guy 13

Re: New Life For My HD650
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2016, 01:50 am »
I recently bought a pair of HD650's because of all the hype. Was slightly disappointed cause they really didn't come close to my 2 channel speaker system. Before jumping on the upgrade wagon I decided to try a Wywire Red cable and i'm astonished at results. Im surprised everyone doesn't talk about ditching the stock cable cause its killing the music. Now I have the resolution and bass definition i was hoping for in the 650's. Im sure the upgrade bug will hit but for now im very content with the HD650's/Wywire combo.

Great phones with cable upgrade, highly recommend Alexes Red series cable.  :thumb:

Hi Nick,
I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD650
and even if after a few years now I am more or less used
to their veiled or dark sound, I would sure welcome a sound improvement,
but at;

'' Headphone Cables:
$299 USD 5 foot length  (additional lengths are charge at $35 per foot)
''

That's almost the price of what I paid for my HD650,
for me, it's not worth the investment, even if the sound quality is improved by 50%.
Just the way I see it, no one must agree with me.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

There is also an upgrade for my Bottlehead Crack and many owners
says it bring a huge sound improvement.
Well, good for them.
I rarely use the word '' HUGE ''

Cacophonix

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2016, 03:44 am »
but at;

'' Headphone Cables:
$299 USD 5 foot length  (additional lengths are charge at $35 per foot)
''

Yikes!!!
Can't imagine who'd pay that kind of money for a cable! It is more than the gear itself (when on sale)!

Guy 13

« Reply #3 on: 4 Sep 2016, 03:56 am »
Yikes!!!
Can't imagine who'd pay that kind of money for a cable! It is more than the gear itself (when on sale)!

Hi Cacophonix.
If I want a 10' cable, that's a total of 474 USD.
I paid 425 USD for my HD650.
With that cable,
does it make my HD650 sound twice as good?

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

weatherman1

« Reply #4 on: 4 Sep 2016, 05:40 am »
Cables have become the new money maker for the audiophile snake oil salesmen.  Copper prices have dropped, sheathing materials are not costly but cost has risen for a length of wire.  I have three headphones in one of my listening areas all at different distances from the headphone amp and I can't discern a sonic difference if the headphones are moved one position to another.  If you hear a sonic improvement in your headphone by spending big bucks on the cable good for you but I am guessing that it is not scientifically measurable.  I don't understand why a headphone would be sold with a cable that makes it sound bad.  Do any of the headphone companies sell or manufacture cables to improve the products.  Do any of them offer the same headphone with upgrade cables that double the cost?  Which brings up that other problem.  Headphones that sonically sound great but only have a single feed cable that is permanently attached. 

Guy 13

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2016, 07:04 am »
Hi all,
Question: Why headphones comes with manufacturer's own (Standard) cables?
My answer: To me it's to keep the price of the headphones affordable.
Question: Why manufacturers don't offer up-grade ?
My answer: Maybe to complicated to keep them in their inventory and-or
                 they don't believe it will make a significant sound improvement.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Guy 13
on planet Vietnam.

Note:
I still don't believe that cable up-grade(s)
(Regardless how much they cost or what they are made of)
makes a significant or huge improvement
for the extra $$$ spent.
Like some AudioCircle members said:
'' If you hear a difference - improvement, then good for you. ''

Nick77

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2016, 09:16 am »
I didnt pay that much and understand good cables can get pricey. I was going to DIY a Cardas cable and even that was a pricey proposition. All I can say is that veiled presentation is gone and replaced with clarity. Buying used is always my method of acquiring expensive audio.  It certainly makes more sense for a $1000 headphone but breathed new life into my $500 phones.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/interconnects-wywires-red-headphone-cable-hi-end-headphone-cable-20-off-2016-08-11-cables-93422-atascadero-ca

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2016, 11:31 am »
Do any of the headphone companies sell or manufacture cables to improve the products.  Do any of them offer the same headphone with upgrade cables that double the cost?  Which brings up that other problem.  Headphones that sonically sound great but only have a single feed cable that is permanently attached.

Yes, Hifiman, for one, offers a silver cable replacement.  And any competent hobbiest can replace permanently attached cables.  Kinda silly to get into a cable debate when the op clearly states it was a reasonable price for a marked improvement.  On the other hand I recently heard an aftermarket cable that was $200 more than the headphone it was attached to (Hifiman HE 400i).  It was better than the stock cable for sure, but not $700 better.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2016, 03:24 pm »

With the new cable the soundstage becomes enlarged?
How much?

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2016, 12:52 pm »
How long did you listen to the 650s before trying the new cable? I'm wondering if maybe the headphones were getting broken in about the time of cable replacement. Just a thought.

My main complaint about the 650 cable is it's too dang long. I wish they were supplied with the standard cable as well as 4ft cable.

Nick77

« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2016, 01:34 pm »
How long did you listen to the 650s before trying the new cable? I'm wondering if maybe the headphones were getting broken in about the time of cable replacement. Just a thought.

My main complaint about the 650 cable is it's too dang long. I wish they were supplied with the standard cable as well as 4ft cable.

I bought my cans slightly used, roughly 300 hrs. I only put another 50 hrs before replacing the cable. I believe they were fully broken in before cable arrived.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2016, 04:53 pm »

Try doing a single strand braid. Done loosely, it won't affect the cable at all and you can tailor the length.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2016, 07:03 pm »
Nick77,

I appreciate your posting this. I have a pair of 650s sitting in their box waiting for me to decide if I want to keep them or sell them. I've often felt disappointed with their sound, but I've never experimented with changing the cables. Food for thought.

Michael

Armaegis

« Reply #13 on: 24 Nov 2016, 12:20 am »
I've had a dozen Sennheiser headphones that use the same cable as the 580/600/650 etc., and all of those cables "go bad" due to some kind of corrosion in the connections to the earcups.  I've been able to fix every one by pulling the cables out and wiping the connectors, making sure the jacks are clean, and plugging them back in.

Sometimes it's also the spring contacts inside the cups that have deformed. They are literally tiny springs laying on their sides, and the prongs from the connectors squeeze in between the coils. If you can get in there with a mini flat screwdriver and wiggle the springs to restore the spacing, it'll be (nearly) good as new.

dB Cooper

« Reply #14 on: 24 Nov 2016, 08:46 pm »
Never had a problem wth my Sennheiser cables. Reportedly the problem is worst with the 580's (Sennheiser had a retrofit program at one time) and the spring contact mechanism was redesigned in the later models.

In my computer based system, I lift the "veil" (when necessary) with a judicious bit of treble boost applied within the playback software. Works like a charm, costs $0.00, and produces a non-debatable difference in the sound that anyone can hear. But it's your money, so have at it. IMJ expectation bias and bling factor rule in today's audio world.

Rocket

« Reply #15 on: 29 Nov 2016, 01:02 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am getting some impressive results using iMod, Red Wine Audio Isabella Headphone amplifier and my Sennheiser HD650's.  I upgraded the headphone cables to accept balanced out from the Isabella.  I think I paid $100USD plus shipping.  Not sure if the cable improved the sound quality or not but the Isabella Headphone is a great combination.

Cheers Rod

DogsPart2

« Reply #16 on: 13 Dec 2016, 02:19 pm »
HD650 owners...do you think it is worth the $$$$ to upgrade to the 800?

I like my 650 w/Cardas cable and not sure I want to make the investment to the 800.

Armaegis

« Reply #17 on: 13 Dec 2016, 10:05 pm »
Try to audition them sometime first. While the HD800 is technically superior, the tonality is very different and you may not enjoy it coming from the HD650.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #18 on: 14 Dec 2016, 03:14 am »
HD650 owners...do you think it is worth the $$$$ to upgrade to the 800?

I like my 650 w/Cardas cable and not sure I want to make the investment to the 800.
The 800 is a upgrade indeed, but why go dynamic driver again at hi price when there is various planars more affordable as HE400, HE560 or LCD2.