Audioquest Dragonfly

dB Cooper

Audioquest Dragonfly
« on: 1 Aug 2016, 01:20 am »
Any experience with either the Dragonfly Black or Red here? I'd be especially interested if anyone could speak to how they might compare to Schiit Modi as a DAC aside from the obvious difference of portability. Had an encounter with the Black yesterday and played some of a lossless file from my phone (no setup needed, just plug it into a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter connected to the phone) and while it was a very brief audition, I was impressed enough to want to investigate further. Thoughts?

rpf

Re: Audioquest Dragonfly
« Reply #1 on: 1 Aug 2016, 01:05 pm »
I haven't heard the Modi but I have a Dragonfly Red that I am very impressed with. I've mostly used it connected to my laptop to listen to Youtube videos (with both Sennheiser 650s and MX985s) but I've also had it in my main system. My impressions are that it is very well balanced and doesn't do anything wrong. It separates out images extremely well. It does not, of course, have the weight or purity of highs/tone of my main DAC (EE DAC Plus with Dexa op-amps, VH Audio output caps, Hi-Fi Tuning Fuse, etc.) but it is far from embarrassed, at 1/7 the price.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2016, 03:57 am »
Schiit now has a Multi Bit Modi. I would be interested in how this compares to the DF Red/Black and the Emotiva Big Ego.  I am looking for a new DAC to buy for my son for Christmas.  He is using a DF 1.0 in his main 2ch rig.  I like the fact that the Emo does 32bit/384K and has a warmer tone based on limited reviews.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2016, 01:50 pm »
Are the "Dragonflies" multi-bit? I heard that true multi-bit, R2R DACs are having a renaissance.

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2016, 06:58 pm »
Are the "Dragonflies" multi-bit? I heard that true multi-bit, R2R DACs are having a renaissance.

1. No (per Dale's response). 2. I'm not entirely convinced. I have the Modi Multibit here.